BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

52 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Come on BDS. I'm sure he has other attributes to his game that are impressive or you wouldn't be suggesting him and ROI wouldn't have capped him 5 times. But 1 goal in 51 (in 70 if you cover all his spell in England) by age 24 isn't remotely acceptable for anyone playing anywhere on the front line.

Poveda has managed that for us whilst barely featuring. Pickering has already managed that and he's a full back. Ayala has scored double that just this season and he is a CB. All these goals a league above where Ogbene scored his one.

It's fair for posters to be more than dubious about that record, especially since we have a team reliant on scoring goals due to our leaky defence.

Personally I'd need a hell of a lot of convincing to not feel nervous if we were to plonk a million on him like you suggest.

It doesn't look great, but we don't know where Rotherham play him, so same point to you, don't judge players until you have watched them play. He has 2 in 5 international games

Edit

So after a wee bit of digging it appears Rotherham play him RM in a 4-4-2 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

55 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I am not sure that 5 caps for Ireland is a badge of honour these days to be fair!

It's 3 more than our captain has.

8 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

It doesn't look great, but we don't know where Rotherham play him, so same point to you, don't judge players until you have watched them play. He has 2 in 5 international games

Edit

So after a wee bit of digging it appears Rotherham play him RM in a 4-4-2 

I'm not judging him as such. I'm not saying he is crap, I'm saying it doesn't inspire any confidence. Like any other player, I would judge him entirely on how he played for us when he arrived, if he ever did come here. It's fair in advance of that to not have any excitement about him coming here with a very poor goal record at a lower level than we play, in a position we need goals. Of course, he could step up the level and start smashing then in, or be a creative fulcrum, it has happened before.

At RM in a 4-4-2 in a lower league, I would expect at least 5 goals in that many appearances for that to not be a point of concern. We play our wide players further forward, so you never know. But I don't want a million pound 'you never know' punt in our situation. If it, or a similar deal happens, then so be it and see how it goes. Most of us as fans aren't about to do a full on scouting job, especially on a player we aren't linked with.

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

There is no suggestion that it does include loan players (these teams will have players out on loan at far lower than Championship level) nor that the figures are accurate as anything regarding wages is purely speculative. But even if they are on wages above that, we could still and likely are only paying a fraction of those wages.

It was said on here that we are paying £10k to Leeds for Poveda. I don't know the accuracy of this but the lowest paid player at Leeds is a reputed £17k.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

It's 3 more than our captain has.

I'm not judging him as such. I'm not saying he is crap, I'm saying it doesn't inspire any confidence. Like any other player, I would judge him entirely on how he played for us when he arrived, if he ever did come here. It's fair in advance of that to not have any excitement about him coming here with a very poor goal record at a lower level than we play, in a position we need goals. Of course, he could step up the level and start smashing then in, or be a creative fulcrum, it has happened before.

At RM in a 4-4-2 in a lower league, I would expect at least 5 goals in that many appearances for that to not be a point of concern. We play our wide players further forward, so you never know. But I don't want a million pound 'you never know' punt in our situation. If it, or a similar deal happens, then so be it and see how it goes. Most of us as fans aren't about to do a full on scouting job, especially on a player we aren't linked with.

To be fair to Lenihan I suppose, it's the one position we have a few PL level players

Rotherham were champ I think last year, so not always at League 1 level. Some players just do better internationally too I suppose. Or maybe its just what he needs to get a Brereton style confidence boost!

7 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

To be fair to Lenihan I suppose, it's the one position we have a few PL level players

Rotherham were champ I think last year, so not always at League 1 level. Some players just do better internationally too I suppose. Or maybe its just what he needs to get a Brereton style confidence boost!

Yeh I saw some of the games (11) were at Championship level.

I know he has 2 in 5 for ROI, but let's be honest...scoring against Luxembourg and Azerbaijan isn't impressing anyone. Ultimately you never know for sure what a player is going to do for you until he plays. Even then it can take years sometimes, like with Brereton.

26 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Yeh I saw some of the games (11) were at Championship level.

I know he has 2 in 5 for ROI, but let's be honest...scoring against Luxembourg and Azerbaijan isn't impressing anyone. Ultimately you never know for sure what a player is going to do for you until he plays. Even then it can take years sometimes, like with Brereton.

Hey come on now, Harry Maguire was giving it the big one after scoring against Albania!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

You know you don't have to say that every single time someone mentions the national team! 

To be fair if he was Scottish you’d have never suggested him as a potential signing in the first place 😉

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Try and base your research on more than looking at a players Wiki 

No need, you can do it for me. 🙂

I was only having a laugh. I was only making a light hearted comment based on the figures quoted on here.

I will keep an eye out for him before I make a judgement on him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

No need, you can do it for me. 🙂

I was only having a laugh. I was only making a light hearted comment based on the figures quoted on here.

I will keep an eye out for him before I make a judgement on him.

No, I know, I was shocked when I saw 1 in 51. It was after I posted and I knew people were going to come for me when they saw it too lol

• Like 3

On the Ogbene suggestion, you would want him to have a few more goals but recently now that Ireland are starting to improve and have some belief he has looked a handful, with our style of play we could be useful but I doubt he is even on the radar. 

Also enough of the Ireland bashing, we are a small nation and have traditionally punched above our weight. I'd say getting caps at international level for Ireland is an honour. Same for Wales, Scotland and NI.

Last 8 games England Vs Ireland, 1 win each, 5 draws and one abandoned...which Ireland were winning 😉

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, BigBar said:

On the Ogbene suggestion, you would want him to have a few more goals but recently now that Ireland are starting to improve and have some belief he has looked a handful, with our style of play we could be useful but I doubt he is even on the radar. 

Also enough of the Ireland bashing, we are a small nation and have traditionally punched above our weight. I'd say getting caps at international level for Ireland is an honour. Same for Wales, Scotland and NI.

Last 8 games England Vs Ireland, 1 win each, 5 draws and one abandoned...which Ireland were winning 😉

So you raise your game when you play the big boys.

• Like 1

Rovers are among the sides to have looked at non-league hot shot Ruben Rodrigues.

The Notts County attacker has been in fine form for the National League side with seven goals in 15 appearances and has caught the eye of a number of EFL sides.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/19722398.blackburn-rovers-monitoring-progress-non-league-hotshot-rodrigues/

Toulouse's striker Rhys Healey could be January target as we have interest in him last summer

https://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/1104415169?-11198:839

On 15/11/2021 at 17:45, roversfan99 said:

There is a lot of assumptions present.

Ultimately until any of these players sign on the dotted line, there is a large degree of uncertainty 

It also seems to be taken as a fact that we have a strong interest in Souttar. When you see a club linked with other clubs in the paper, you have to take it with a pinch of salt, not assume it to be a fact.

We are being linked with him by several different sources..Time you accept we have an interest in him but other clubs are interested in him like Stoke and Middlesbrough 

On 16/11/2021 at 12:38, Bigdoggsteel said:

No, he's not a main striker, correct. Khadra and Poveda are loans though, so a permanent signing there would be good too.

Guess that's why we are looking at Ryan Hedges on a pre contract. 

I am aware of him not being a main striker. Had a good look into plus I've seen Ireland's 2 games

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

We are being linked with him by several different sources..Time you accept we have an interest in him but other clubs are interested in him like Stoke and Middlesbrough 

I am aware of him not being a main striker. Had a good look into plus I've seen Ireland's 2 games

Again, it was and is newspaper gossip until proven otherwise.

Please also note that what often happens is that one newspaper/source reports a rumour, and that is then copied and echoed across various further sources.

We may be interested in him, but I could not possibly say that we are (or aren't) definitively.

• Like 2

On 17/11/2021 at 16:15, chaddyrovers said:

Would you look at any of the Irish players?

Bazuno has looked great in qualifying. Pretty poor overall though imo 

13 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Would you look at any of the Irish players?

Bazuno has looked great in qualifying. Pretty poor overall though imo 

I've always like Anderlecht midfielder Josh Cullen when he was on loan at Charlton.

Also I would have sign Jayson Molumby from Brighton on loan instead of Clarkson. 

• Like 1