BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

33 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

That's why you rely on your recruitment team to sign good players

A new manager might not fancy players who are already here. Yu can't just freeze signings because of that. You need to move if good players are available 

In the summer maybe but midway through the season with the current manager having only a few months left on his deal?If he is to be replaced then we should be keeping what money we have available for the next guy.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Ah the two Mr. Flip Flops who are now seemingly quite content with Mowbray steaming in.....

Sorry guys, no offence, my point was more that if the only focus of our transfer activity in January is to sign non entities from Scotland on pre contracts for next season that isn't necessarily indicative of major regime changes coming in summer.

Mowbray isn't the man to take us forward at this level, never was and never will be. A temporary and slightly better sequence of results than we had last season doesn't change that but I'm getting concerned that the owners view on Mowbray's future might change like the wind on the back of a couple of decent results or vice versa.

Plus the league is incredibly weak this season.We are doing ok but a couple of defeats in a row would put us mid table/botton half.

Mowbray isnt the man to take us foward but like you i worry this ok start in a a very weak division will lead to a new contract for Mowbray

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, islander200 said:

In the summer maybe but midway through the season with the current manager having only a few months left on his deal?If he is to be replaced then we should be keeping what money we have available for the next guy.

If we have a recruitment team, we need to trust that whoever the manager is they are identifying good players, in positions we need filling. If we dilly dally, we risk losing out on good deals. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

If we have a recruitment team, we need to trust that whoever the manager is they are identifying good players, in positions we need filling. If we dilly dally, we risk losing out on good deals. 

We have a limited budget though.A manager will want to make his own team.Would you be happy if we spend in January and then no money available for the next guy?

If pre contract signings are made it only points in one direction and thats Mowbray being here next season.We were linked with Hedges before Park even joined the club.

A club needs a solid settled structure above the manager that allows for change but we don't have that here. Everything seems to revolve around Mowbray even Samba was crediting him which sounded like he'd given the ok to bring him in.  That's for the youth team by the way.

That's why i think all this talk of change is futile unless he's stepping sideways. He won't get sacked death spirals or not, 0-7/8/9 or not. The odds are firmly stacked on him being here for the early kick off next season.

Can only hope that sense prevails and any contract extension is a rolling one, which as i understand is akin to a 2 yr deal anyway. So they'll never pay him off whatever happens.

Mr Mowbray might not hold the Venky purse strings but he basically runs the whole football side of the club. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Mr Mowbray might not hold the Venky purse strings but he basically runs the whole football side of the club. 

He's not so far off holding the purse strings, in the past, whenever he's gone back cap in hand to the owners for more funds either because they've underestimated how much players cost or their wage demands, or he's cocked up, or due to a spate of injuries, funds would appear to have been forthcoming.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, islander200 said:

We have a limited budget though.A manager will want to make his own team.Would you be happy if we spend in January and then no money available for the next guy?

If pre contract signings are made it only points in one direction and thats Mowbray being here next season.We were linked with Hedges before Park even joined the club.

It is pre-contracts mentioned though, not fee transfers. 

To be honest I don't care when we sign them if they are good players. 

I don't think signing players in January points to Mowbray staying. His deal is up at the end of the season. 

4 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

From that conversation with Waggot, I didn’t get the impression we were going to blow our brains out on players though he did talk about “getting a few on pre-contracts for next season”. He was also adamant that none would be leaving for free in the summer and that they’d be working hard to sell anyone who didn’t sign extensions.

He felt JR and RN would sign as they were both keen and it was agents hanging on for more money. He also said that DL was less likely as he thought he could get a move to the Prem.

Based on that conversation and the injury to Poveda I’d say they’ll get a couple on pre-contracts, Hedges and Souttar. A loan / cheap winger to replace Poveda and potentially replace any sales.

Wouldn’t surprise me if they get another Striker either but that’s just a hunch.

So, 2-4 signings in Jan depending on sales and then another 2 or 3 on pre-contracts from Scotland ready for the summer. John Parks at the centre of it all.

Lenihan thinks he could get a prem gig? Thinks highly of himself lol. Those Sheff Utd rumours of a couple seasons back have got him giddy.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

All desperately worrying if like me you are hoping Mowbray will be long gone by summer.

Players on pre contracts don't help for the remainder of  this season and what if a new manager came in and didn't fancy the players he'd been lumbered with signing?

That’s assuming a new manager hasn’t agreed to them? They’d be fairly cheap and on the day so of the head of recruitment….🤷🏽‍♂️

4 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Lenihan thinks he could get a prem gig? Thinks highly of himself lol. Those Sheff Utd rumours of a couple seasons back have got him giddy.

Tbh…your sentiments on DL were shared by SW. He’d told DL’s lot to “watch the Fulham game” if they wanted proof 🙈…I’m still pretty shocked by how candid he was.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I agree, who could you see him playing for in the current PL ? The only way I can see him moving to a PL team would be if he was prepared to be second fiddle most of the time. Like Kipre probably was last season at West Brom

I can see him doing okay (wouldn't put it any stronger than that) at a team like the Dingles, who defend pretty deep and make sure their full backs and midfield are protecting the centre halves pretty much at all times. I think if Duffy (admittedly a different type of defender) can succeed when he played in that sort of system under Hughton, Lenihan could cope too. 

Thing is though there aren't many teams who play in that sort of style in the prem at present, and those that do still tend to have better defenders than Lenihan on their books. As much as he's vital to Rovers, I really can't see him getting a chance at that level. 

6 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

I can see him doing okay (wouldn't put it any stronger than that) at a team like the Dingles, who defend pretty deep and make sure their full backs and midfield are protecting the centre halves pretty much at all times. I think if Duffy (admittedly a different type of defender) can succeed when he played in that sort of system under Hughton, Lenihan could cope too. 

Thing is though there aren't many teams who play in that sort of style in the prem at present, and those that do still tend to have better defenders than Lenihan on their books. As much as he's vital to Rovers, I really can't see him getting a chance at that level. 

I know he isn't popular here, but Duffy is a far, far better player than Lenihan 

He might do ok at Burnley, but I would suspect they would have other options before him. John Egan at Sheffield united for example 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

I think saying Duffy played a certain way under Hughton does him a disservice. He is starting this season under Potter who really tries to play football . He has actually surprised me this season 

I'll give you that - I wasn't especially looking to have a go at Duffy as the player he is now, but in his first prem season he still struck me as an excellent ball winner, but one who was clumsy on the ball and lacked a bit of game awareness like he was here. I think Brighton's system as it was then did a good job of making the most of his strengths whilst not exposing his weaknesses too much, and I can see Lenihan doing okay at that level in a similar system. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JacknOry said:

Nah, this is Lenihans level, he never making the step up. 

Looking that way.

1 hour ago, rigger said:

Unless it is with us.

Or another club who gets promoted. At one point he looked to have Prem potential but he has never matured his decision making or passing enough to get there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

Looking that way.

Or another club who gets promoted. At one point he looked to have Prem potential but he has never matured his decision making or passing enough to get there.

Another not developed by our manager.

Nyambe and Travis are the same.  Looked the part 2 or 3 seasons ago and now looking like bog standard championship players.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Another not developed by our manager.

Nyambe and Travis are the same.  Looked the part 2 or 3 seasons ago and now looking like bog standard championship players.

Did they ever look better than they do at the moment? I know it doesnt fit the narrative and I appreciate that Nyambe was crap at the weekend but he is definitely better tham say he was at the start of last season, and Travis is maturing too.

• Like 1