BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Peterborough United (h) - 24/11/21

7 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

Easiest game of football we'll play all season, unless we get them claret wankers in the Cup.

Hopefully Ayala isn't badly injured as we're walking a tightrope again now at centre half.

Despite the losing to a poor Bristol side tonight, Stoke will be tough. They were on a decent little run so hopefully the loss tonight knocks the wind out their sails a bit rather than us facing a backlash. Should be a decent following as well especially after tonight's result.

Wharton really impressive again, he looks like captain material to me, love his vocal presence and cool, calm style - it seems to rub off on the players around him. 

Wharton did a couple of cheeky Cruyff turns too... Had him down as a bit of a lump no nonsense defender but he's not bad with his feet either.

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, neophox said:

Well also our talisman Dack is training hard.

Yes - waiting for Dack and Gallagher to come back who will give us more attacking options. Probs will also sign a striker in Jan too.

Things looking encouraging : 

Midfield (Travis, Rothwell, Buckley, Davenport, Johnson) and wing (Khadra, Dolan) options good. As is central defence (Lenihan, Ayala, Wharton, Van Hecke), left back (Pickering, Edun). 

Only thing that worries me is right back (no backup for Nyambe) and goal keeper. One injury to Kaminski would see Pears back in and us truely fooked.

Can't fault anything tonight it was a thoroughly professional performance from such a young team.  Energy levels great throughout, as they should be. That's a plus with having so many young hungry players and in this team no there's no hiding place for passengers.  Lack a bit of composure at times but we don't miss the likes of Evans and co one bit and i knew we wouldn't.

Youth is the way to go and a bit of patience i hope they keep it up i'm loving this season on the pitch, Fulham aside.

Well done tonight players, manager and those who braved the weather and turned up an unfashionable game. Everyone in Ewood deserved that result and seeing some nice goals.

• Like 2

A great win. Regardless of the opposition, we see time and time again in this league teams slip up in these fixtures. 

We we’re clinical tonight. To many times last season we dominated but didn’t take chances. They had a 10 min spell start second half where with some poor defending we still managed a clean sheet, but that’s what having a great keeper like Kaminski is all about.

You can’t get carried away in this league, but to quote Mowbray we put the points in the bag and move on.

Start of season, I would take where we are at and how we are playing.

• Like 3

I am amazed at how mature Scott Wharton is. The loan out has made a great player out of him. Future captain.

One criticism, Nyambe is so frustrating as an attacking wing back. Pickering is great at going forward. Ryan always stops and plays the safe pass rather than have a go down the touchline and cross the ball. Surely he needs extra coaching.

• Like 6

Just now, bazza said:

I am amazed at how mature Scott Wharton is. The loan out has made a great player out of him. Future captain.

One criticism, Nyambe is so frustrating as an attacking wing back. Pickering is great at going forward. Ryan always stops and plays the safe pass rather than have a go down the touchline and cross the ball. Surely he needs extra coaching.

I disagree entirely. They’re two different full backs but I’ve just spent 45 minutes watching Nyambe pointing where he wants the ball and not receiving it. He was running into the right spaces but not getting the passes. 

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, Wood26 said:

Start of season, I would take where we are at and how we are playing.

Big under-statement! I honestly thought we would be in the lower half of the table and looking nervously down at the clubs below us.

Just need to keep the momentum going now. Key players going like Brereton (never thought I'd write that!) could threaten that.

• Like 5

I don't agree that we have no cover for Nyambe, J R-C is a decent replacement full-back. 

My worry is that TM will replace RN with R-C, as he has previously tried to do. 

Nyambe is strong, and will only benefit from a run til the end of the season, which will also improve his crossing and shooting. 

We have cover everywhere, but Poveda is a big loss. 

Edun will benefit from a season as replacement full-back or wide midfielder, he needs to mature whilst watching and learning from his fellow 3rd Division recruit, HP.

If we beat Stoke, there'll be around 20,000 against PNE, would've been more but for the increased prices.

We'll hover between 6th and 10th til Easter, so can we then be brave enough to risk dropping to 15th, by deciding to go for the top 4?

Don't all shout, I know the probable answer, I've watched every minute of the last 10 years, but it's nice to dream.

A good, solid, quality performance, meaning no dogs or wives kicked, and we wake up happy in the morning.... 

1 hour ago, J*B said:

I disagree entirely. They’re two different full backs but I’ve just spent 45 minutes watching Nyambe pointing where he wants the ball and not receiving it. He was running into the right spaces but not getting the passes. 

Was that in the second half? Because in the first half he had at least 6 opportunities (actually probably 8 or 9) to get a cross delivered and every single time he either dithered on the ball then played it backwards, or played it off the defender for a corner, or just lost it. 

He's a solid full back, but if his agent thinks there is more salary available than Rovers are offering then he needs a new agent. Personally I'd prefer JRC in todays formation, if only he was fit. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ben Frost said:

Was that in the second half? Because in the first half he had at least 6 opportunities (actually probably 8 or 9) to get a cross delivered and every single time he either dithered on the ball then played it backwards, or played it off the defender for a corner, or just lost it. 

He's a solid full back, but if his agent thinks there is more salary available than Rovers are offering then he needs a new agent. Personally I'd prefer JRC in todays formation, if only he was fit. 

Couldn't disagree more.

JRC isn't fit to lace Nyambe's boots at full back and if it's fair to say that Nyambe is somewhat injury prone then JRC has been an absolute crock. (So far)

My guess is that if the roles were reversed and JRC was in the team but refusing to sign a new deal up to press then you'd still be toeing the Club line and saying you preferred Nyambe to make it look as if the failure to tie the player down on a new deal wasn't a big issue.

Edited by RevidgeBlue
  • Like 1

Really enjoyed last night.

I thought the Sheffield Utd performance was the best of Mowbray's tenure at that point due to the use of genuine wide men in their correct positions and last night probably topped that.

And the best thing about it for me apart from the result and performance was it came from all eleven of the starting line up being OUR own players and them excelling. In fact in terms of a starting line up being easy to get behind and identify with, for me that was by far the easiest during Mowbray's time here.

- All our OWN players and no messing about trying to shoe horn loanees in to try and keep parent Clubs happy

- Everyone contributing fully and no professional lead swingers in the side because they're amongst the manager's favourites like Evans and Bennett

- No - one over the hill in the side because they're amongst the manager's favourites like Graham in his last season and a half here or Downing in his second season here

Thought Pickering, Wharton and Dolan were particularly impressive. I've been banging the drum about Wharton since we saw him last season but what a player he looks. Thank goodness a severe injury crisis forced Mowbray's hand into grudgingly giving him a chance last season and that he now looks like he could be a mainstay of the side for years to come as opposed to being the new Jack O Connell. Echoes of Smallwood getting himself sent off at Sheff Utd. when we looked poised to send Travis out on loan.

So where do we go from here? Technically we're in a great position, three points behind third, with one of the "big 3" misfiring badly. Like mustard I still don't think Mowbray is the man to take us into the play offs but I'm similarly here ready waiting and eager to consume lashings of humble pie if he does.

We need to find a lot more consistency and go to Stoke on Saturday and lay down a marker and come away with a thumping win.

Not worry about what the opposition are going to do and put in a first half no show like at Ashton Gate.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, garnersfags said:

I don't agree that we have no cover for Nyambe, J R-C is a decent replacement full-back. 

Whilst JRC has appeared to have something about him, his injury record is atrocious and as such definitely can't be looked upon as reliable cover. He only played a couple of  games for the U23's and did yet another hamstring! If Nyambe picked a knock up between now and Saturday we'd see Buckley forced to right back/wb again which is far from ideal.

Great win. Not much to add to what has already been said. Appreciate there are positives and negatives in most games but I'm struggling to see any negatives in that one. Well done TM and the team. 

I think the reduced options and the fact we look like a team really have helped us this season. We don't look like a collection of individuals, there's only a couple of formations we can use and you can name the team along with likely replacements when they are out. That increased consistency can only help us. 

The downside is that we are relying on a few players staying fit. Nayambe, BBD, Kaminski and Ayala to name the obvious ones but a couple of injuries anywhere on the pitch would be problematic. That said I think the benefits of consistency and not having 6000 midfielders outweighs this. 

What I am most pleased about is the response since Fulham. That could of broken us and furthered the divide between fans and club. As it is we have responded well results wise and clawed back a bit of GD to boot. 

I still have doubts over TMs ability. I still think we will fade away from the playoffs. But we are in a much better position than I thought we would be which is a huge relief and positive. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, mustard said:

I’ve not been on this forum for a while, but those folk who were saying Buckley is shite, what are they saying now?

I know almost everyone has probably come round on BBD but Bucko came in for some right stick from some quarters not long ago, despite plenty of fans saying he’s a player.  Surely humble pie has been eaten?  Been a standout performer this season and really looks the part in every game.

I’m still doubtful of Mowbray’s abilities but I’ve got a bib, napkin, knife and fork ready for if we somehow make the playoffs. 

I am still saying the same about him. Not a big fan at all, alot on here seem to want to say people on here were wrong about him if he has an ok game. "What about bucko now?"...what because he wasn't standout bad? 

Why is he getting mentioned ahead of others last night? I can be fair with all players, he was awful for a long spell, young or not, been better recently but certainly not standout for me. Kaminski, Nyambe, Ayala, Rothwell, BBD, Dolan have had better seasons so far imo.

• Like 1