v Peterborough United (h) - 24/11/21

42 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Kaminski

Nyambe Lenihan Ayala Pickering

Travis Davenport

Dolan Rothwell Khadra

Brereton

Subs: Pears, Edun, Wharton, Butterworth, Johnson, Buckley, Clarkson

Fully expecting a back 3 but I would prefer the above, Davenport can give us more balance and Buckley was really poor at the weekend so bring Rothwell back in his place.

Weak bench is a major concern.

A weak team would be more of a concern than a weak bench. Also I don't see it as a weak bench, when seven are named.

8 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Buckley really poor at the weekend?Nonsense,  he was poor the first half as were the rest of the team.He played well in the second half

I thought he was, watched the whole game and as you said he wasn't on his own especially in the first half but he was fairly anonymous throughout, he does sometimes have games where he struggles to stamp any authority on the game and was lucky to stay on for the full game. A speculative shot that wasn't ever likely to go in mid way through the second half and an overhit the pass in the first half the main contributions.

I feel that he needs to start doing a bit more in the final third to guarantee justified starts every week. Still yet to score this season from attacking midfield and even with his passing, undoubtedly has a defence splitting ball in his locker but needs to do it a bit more.

Just now, rigger said:

A weak team would be more of a concern than a weak bench. Also I don't see it as a weak bench, when seven are named.

Of course, but just worth a mention as I don't see much on the bench to change the game if it wasn't going to plan and we needed a goal.

2 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Back 5 this evening I’m told. 5-3-2.

If so, does that mean we can expect an attacking display with wing backs flying down  the flanks at every opportunity, or a timid tippy-tappy play it endlessly behind the halfway line and seek to catch them venturing forward on the break, I wonder?

Nobody knows. However, I have my suspicions what most of us would prefer to see ,;)

COYB!

27 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I thought he was, watched the whole game and as you said he wasn't on his own especially in the first half but he was fairly anonymous throughout, he does sometimes have games where he struggles to stamp any authority on the game and was lucky to stay on for the full game. A speculative shot that wasn't ever likely to go in mid way through the second half and an overhit the pass in the first half the main contributions.

I feel that he needs to start doing a bit more in the final third to guarantee justified starts every week. Still yet to score this season from attacking midfield and even with his passing, undoubtedly has a defence splitting ball in his locker but needs to do it a bit more.

Of course, but just worth a mention as I don't see much on the bench to change the game if it wasn't going to plan and we needed a goal.

First half no arguments.Second half i thought he was one of the players who tried to get us going.

His goalscoring record is poor but not surprising to me as he doesnt look a goalscorer which is fine as he has plenty of other attributes, and in fairness he has been moved around he hasnt been playing attacking midfield all season.One of the most talented  players on our books imo, and will play in the Premier league

9 minutes ago, islander200 said:

First half no arguments.Second half i thought he was one of the players who tried to get us going.

His goalscoring record is poor but not surprising to me as he doesnt look a goalscorer which is fine as he has plenty of other attributes, and in fairness he has been moved around he hasnt been playing attacking midfield all season.One of the most talented  players on our books imo, and will play in the Premier league

Would disagree on Saturday, to be honest I don't think anyone got us going.

Premier League predictions for me are such a long way away if of course ever. Definitely has improved this season but doesn't stand out in the Championship, albeit at a tender age. He may well improve and get there, but I couldn't predict or say with any certainty at this stage.

His main strength is winning the ball back but even if he doesn't become a regular goalscorer, he needs to chip in. His shooting is as weak as I can remember from anyone. Needs to get those incisive passes right once or twice more often too although that pass is in his locker.

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Whats the issue? 

Its pretty much 3-5-2 when attacking 

Because when we play it, 99% of the time we struggle even more to create.

Playing against a really poor Peterborough side at home, I don't think we need a third centre back.

Did help on Saturday but more to stem the tide.

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Premier League predictions for me are such a long way away if of course ever. Definitely has improved this season but doesn't stand out in the Championship, albeit at a tender age. He may well improve and get there, but I couldn't predict or say with any certainty at this stage.

His main strength is winning the ball back but even if he doesn't become a regular goalscorer, he needs to chip in. His shooting is as weak as I can remember from anyone. Needs to get those incisive passes right once or twice more often too although that pass is in his locker.

Playing against a really poor Peterborough side at home, I don't think we need a third centre back.

I wouldn't say they are really poor. Have come out the wrong side of a few tight games. Having 3 CBs gives more flexibility for the wingbacks to attack. It's not not as simple as saying by playing 3CBs we are or should be less attacking 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I wouldn't say they are really poor. Have come out the wrong side of a few tight games. Having 3 CBs gives more flexibility for the wingbacks to attack. It's not not as simple as saying by playing 3CBs we are or should be less attacking 

I am basing it on when we have played it recently. For example at QPR, we barely had a shot all night, the 3 can become a 5 very easily, Nyambe is better as a right back in a 4, and it means that we either play only 2 in midfield which leaves us to become overrun, or if we go with 3 in there, it leaves only 2 attacking players on the pitch and a lack of width.

I don't like 3 at the back as a tactic to occasionally go to and from, teams that excel at it tend to play it consistently.

To be honest, if we do go down the path of 3 at the back as I do expect, then I am anticipating a long and uneventful evening sat in the freezing cold.

The last home game against Sheff Utd was one of the best performances I can remember in a long while. 

Lets hope for more of the same tonight, but you can guarantee Posh won't come to play, they'll probably park the bus. 

32 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I mean absolutely no disrespect to you but i just dont think you have a clue when it comes to evaluating a young players talent and potential.

Off the top of my head you have said, Mount only involved with Chelsea due to his relationship with Lampard.Declan Rice not very good.Brererton a donkey and will never score goals.Armstrong wont be able to play up front on his own(12 months after you saying this you were debating any post that showed Armstrong any criticism)

Young players need spells in the side to develop you think they should come in as the finished article.Buckley doesnt need to be left out every time he has a poor game like you always suggest.

Plenty i agree with in some of your views, but when it comes to this i just dont think you have an eye for a player

• Like 2