BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v PNE (h) - 4/12/21

1 hour ago, rigger said:

Personally I am not a lover of 3-5-2, I like to see a back 4. I think it is a waste playing Nyambe at wing-back, also I don't think wing-back is Pickerings best position. 

I think Pickering is ideal suited the wing back and his header goal against Peterborough shown. 

My favourite formation is 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 myself but with the quality centre backs and centre midfielders I think 3-5-2 suits most of the squad personally. It's seems the favourite formation with majority of Championship managers currently 

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

… and now the upper tier is back off sale from this evening, and the lower tier back on sale on the day. 🤷‍♂️

Meanwhile someone is feeling their arse whilst looking for their elbow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

I think Pickering is ideal suited the wing back and his header goal against Peterborough shown. 

My favourite formation is 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 myself but with the quality centre backs and centre midfielders I think 3-5-2 suits most of the squad personally. It's seems the favourite formation with majority of Championship managers currently 

I don't see what his headed goal has to do with playing wing-back. I thought Pickering was bought as a full-back. I would say Edun was more suited to left wing-back than Pickering. I am not bothered what other championship managers are doing. With the standard of the championship this season, most of them are not doing too well with the 3-5-2 formation.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rigger said:

I don't see what his headed goal has to do with playing wing-back. I thought Pickering was bought as a full-back. I would say Edun was more suited to left wing-back than Pickering. I am not bothered what other championship managers are doing. With the standard of the championship this season, most of them are not doing too well with the 3-5-2 formation.

People forget that in order to play a good 352, you need 3 defenders that are quick and good on the ball.....ours aren't blessed with these attributes.

3 hours ago, rigger said:

I don't see what his headed goal has to do with playing wing-back. I thought Pickering was bought as a full-back. I would say Edun was more suited to left wing-back than Pickering. 

Cos you want your wing backs getting forward and into the box. Like Chilwell does for Chelsea for example. 

3 hours ago, rigger said:

I am not bothered what other championship managers are doing. With the standard of the championship this season, most of them are not doing too well with the 3-5-2 formation

4 teams in the playoffs positions all played with back 3 in their last game. And in fact 10 out of top 12 have played a back 3 this season including Bournemouth. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TruRover said:

Big eyes on the fulham v Bournemouth game tonight. A Fulham win followed by the beating of Preston could really put us in the top 2 mix 

It's ended in a draw, Bournemouth went ahead, so it's not the end of the world.

Beat Preston and then Bournemouth, we'll be 4 points behind them.

Certainly a good test for us, to see if we have actually grown a pair or just the standard daring to dream before it all comes crashing down around us.

Edited by davulsukur
  • Like 1

Not confident heading into this one, or any game this season for that matter. I wouldn't be too taken by our last 2 results. We were horrendous at Middlesbrough and were essentially gifted the win. Fulham we did okay with Ched Evans galvanising us but we were still nothing special and only got a point.

My view, and the view of most fans, is that McAvoy is hugely out of his depth. I would be surprised if he does a job on Mowbray tactically like Neil did 2-3 times whilst in charge.

Like any team at this level we have the odd big result in us, like winning away at Bournemouth, but performances have been poor all season on the whole and the majority view is that we need managerial change very quickly if we're to move up the table.

Evans coming back into the team is a big boost as he has been outstanding since signing, and Riis is a big threat up front too, but our defence is there to be got at. We play 5 at the back but don't really have any good wing backs.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Upside Down said:

I was at this game I think. Those were the days. 

I remember this ,sat in the Darwen end lower and the nobbers above ,probably not the brightest move with allsorts of shite raining down all night.Went to the away leg at dump dale,no roof on the away end and it pissed down all night and we got beat 1 0!

Woke up with serious FOMO so I've made an executive decision to go today, despite the cost.

I think we will comfortably in the end, maybe 3-0 after going 1 up within the first 15 mins and scoring 2 in the last 10.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, north_ender said:

Not confident heading into this one, or any game this season for that matter. I wouldn't be too taken by our last 2 results. We were horrendous at Middlesbrough and were essentially gifted the win. Fulham we did okay with Ched Evans galvanising us but we were still nothing special and only got a point.

My view, and the view of most fans, is that McAvoy is hugely out of his depth. I would be surprised if he does a job on Mowbray tactically like Neil did 2-3 times whilst in charge.

Like any team at this level we have the odd big result in us, like winning away at Bournemouth, but performances have been poor all season on the whole and the majority view is that we need managerial change very quickly if we're to move up the table.

Evans coming back into the team is a big boost as he has been outstanding since signing, and Riis is a big threat up front too, but our defence is there to be got at. We play 5 at the back but don't really have any good wing backs.

Thanks for sharing your views - to be fair it is a measure of how far fans' confidence in any team has fallen these days that no-one really goes into a fixture like this with any real idea what is likely to happen. All we know is that there will be chances at both ends, and the first team to make a breakthrough might get enough of a boost to see out the game. 

With any luck the players will give of their best, the referee won't be a complete buffoon and the fans of both sides will come away happy that their team gave it a good go. Come 16.50 I am hoping, of course, that the walk back up Livesey Branch Road will be a jaunty one for those in Blue & White ;0)

Good luck, but COYB!!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

People forget that in order to play a good 352, you need 3 defenders that are quick and good on the ball.....ours aren't blessed with these attributes.

I dispute that tbh. I think the three we have are well suited to it. Both Wharton and Lenihan have distributed reasonably well and got forward. Ayala just wins everything in the air and keeps it simple. They haven't had any problem beating the opposition press. 

Also Pickering does seem very well suited to left wing back. Good delivery, good engine.

We've probably got the most complete XI we've had since relegation with the one weak area of right wing back getting forward  Previous seasons oppo could do simple things like target left back, or Williams in the air, or press our back four with a 343.

For Preston today it's hard for them to pick out a winning strategy imo. We've got three really good headers at the back who also cover the channels well, good shielding from the middle four, and genuine pace on the transition.

Edited by joey_big_nose
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

I dispute that tbh. I think the three we have are well suited to it. Both Wharton and Lenihan have distributed reasonably well and got forward. Ayala just wins everything in the air and keeps it simple. They haven't had any problem beating the opposition press. 

Also Pickering does seem very well suited to left wing back. Good delivery, good engine.

We've probably got the most complete XI we've had since relegation with the one weak area of right full back. Previous seasons oppo could do simple things like target left back, or Williams in the air, or press our back four with a 343.

For Preston today it's hard for them to pick out a winning strategy imo. We've got three really good headers at the back who also cover the channels well, good shielding from the middle four, and genuine pace on the transition.

I dont see how your statement equates to our defenders being quick and good on the ball ? What you have discribed is three players vying for the two central positions in a back four.

1 minute ago, rigger said:

I dont see how your statement equates to our defenders being quick and good on the ball ? What you have discribed is three players vying for the two central positions in a back four.

Lenihan is pretty quick and Wharton not slow. For Championship level they are both decent on the ball. I think they suit 343 very well.