BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Birmingham (h) - 18/12/21

• Backroom

Apologies to posters whose posts were caught up in the collateral damage of cleaning the last couple of pages of arguments based on vaccination conspiracy theories. I would suggest the Coronavirus thread in ICBINF for discussion on vaccination that goes beyond talking specifically about how it affects Rovers and the match tomorrow. Thanks.

Edited by DE.
  • Like 9

This game will be a true test of the players' mettle, and a potential banana skin that we need to avoid skidding on.

On paper, based on the entire sequence of games ever played between the two clubs this is the most evenly balanced rivalry I've seen, with both clubs having won 48 games, and 34 ending in draws since we first met in 1895! (source: 11v11.com)

More recent results show us top of the form league in the division over the past 6 games, with Big Club way down in 20th (source: footballwebpages.co.uk) but as we know all too well, form sometimes goes out of the window when Rovers hit the heady heights at this time of year. 

I guess we will see how strong the confidence is in the squad come 4.45 this afternoon. Personally I'm hoping that Mowbray has stumbled over a winning formula that is capable of enduring, but to be honest I'm not going to be surprised if the bubble bursts at some point, because as you all know, we have 'form' in spades over the recent history of the club of flattering to deceive before Christmas, only to fall away spectacularly when it really matters.

Game on?! Oh hell yeah!

A morale sapping 1-2 to Big Club is on the cards, but a resounding 4-0 slapping with Messrs. Brereton-Diaz (2), Buckley and Lenihan netting for the mighty Blues would be a very nice early Christmas present 😉

COYB!  

big club.png

• Like 2

Rumours that it’s Bradley Johnson that’s out with COVID. It’s definitely not Brereton or Lenihan. 

In terms of prediction, I’m still struggling to believe we are 4th. I’ll say we will lose simply based on how we’ve done in these situations prior to this season. 

11 minutes ago, J*B said:

Rumours that it’s Bradley Johnson that’s out with COVID. It’s definitely not Brereton or Lenihan. 

In terms of prediction, I’m still struggling to believe we are 4th. I’ll say we will lose simply based on how we’ve done in these situations prior to this season. 

It really is “pinch yourself” time, if we get 3 points today 

• Like 6

44 minutes ago, J*B said:

Definitely not Brereton Diaz only have to at his instragram account but Johnson been quiet

15 minutes ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

Can't see it not going back BCD from Boxing Day. 

No reasons for any games not to allow fans given the rules in place. Stopping fans is just going to make more fans walk away from the game  

Fancy us today (I know, I know!).

We now have a really strong first 15/16 players, the only position we seem to lack any depth in is RB. I hear covid doesn't affect any of last week's starting 11, which I'd go with again if possible (albeit with TK replacing AP).

Form is temporary. We're top of the form table & Brum near-bottom, but that doesn't really mean much besides breeding confidence & momentum, both of which can quickly shatter a young team that is founded on being hard working, well organised & pacey on the counter. It only takes an injury, red card or a bad ref to spoil what's brewing.

If we are at it from the off & get an early goal, we could go on and get a hatful. Should they score first, we'll have another chance to see what our young bucks are made of. 

With the cushion we already have to 7th & with more postponements likely over Christmas, this is a real chance to nail ourselves on as leading play off contenders if not top 2(!!).

Any result is on the cards today. I'm  going for a 3-0 win with BBD (2) and Rothwell.  But I'll happily take another 0-7 if it leads to us going on another 6 game run afterwards like this one!! 

• Like 1

Only one word needed to describe Birmingham, "physical". They will bombard our box with Hail Marys, they will hurl long throws in from everywhere then they have Deeney who needs the ball to break his way only once and we lose.

This style of play is our nemesis.  I'm worried by this one. It's going to be a tough bruising encounter.

Dreamland if we win but my expectation is a score draw or worse. Small crowd today so not much of a 12th man effect.

Really hope for a perfect result but I'm nervous.

5 minutes ago, TimmyJimmy said:

This style of play is our nemesis.  I'm worried by this one. It's going to be a tough bruising encounter.

I think we have enough at the back to cope with most of what they throw at us in that respect.

All 4 of our CBs are good in the air & don't mind putting their bodies on the line; it's been a long time since we've been able to say that!

As you may have seen on the homepage, BRFCS and Rovers Radio have a special Christmas treat dropping tomorrow - Sound of the Festive Season.

We’ve also got our pre match show going out today from 12:00. It’s not our usual show, as we have nothing much to complain about! We talk about our recent run and our hopes for the festive period with some music, Christmassy and otherwise.

https://roversradio.co.uk/listen-live

EC7949BE-BCAB-4997-8A51-A74AC9FBF17C.jpeg

10 minutes ago, TimmyJimmy said:

Only one word needed to describe Birmingham, "physical". They will bombard our box with Hail Marys, they will hurl long throws in from everywhere then they have Deeney who needs the ball to break his way only once and we lose.

Dreamland if we win but my expectation is a score draw or worse. Small crowd today so not much of a 12th man effect.

Really hope for a perfect result but I'm nervous.

Sounds like a game for Van Hecke… which is something I never thought I’d say after Fulham!

Going to be a very poor crowd.  From a look at the ground map it seems very few tickets have been bought beyond season  tickets and many of those will likely not attend either due to fear or unwillingness to engage in medical passporting. Probably fewer than 8k.  What a shame!

Edited by Roger jones
Spelling

5 minutes ago, rigger said:

I don't see why people seem worried by Birminghams tactics. We played against a better side with better tactics last week. We should be able to deal with basic football if we are serious about promotion.

I don't think I am worried about their tactics as I think its will suit our back 3 completely