BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Dingles

• Backroom
3 hours ago, BRFC4EVA said:

I find it amazing that the bottom 3 aren't cut adrift. Watford have lost 6 on the bounce or something otherwise the relegation places would be done already. Looking like 3 from 4 as it is and newcastle will surely spend..

Probably the worst bottom 4 in PL history at the half way point. 

• Backroom

Apparently lots of lower shareholders at Burnley selling up. They've been offered half-cash, half-credit. The mistake (on the club side) is that the credit can be used on STs and hospitality.

In my FIL's case, that's 5 years of STs in a hospitality box 'for free', plus cash.

4 hours ago, BRFC4EVA said:

I find it amazing that the bottom 3 aren't cut adrift. Watford have lost 6 on the bounce or something otherwise the relegation places would be done already. Looking like 3 from 4 as it is and newcastle will surely spend..

My daughter's partner is a Norwich supporter and we chat a lot about football. Increasingly, our conversations theses days are   about "what's the point"? He was elated last season, as he has been before, only to be in misery this season, as he has before.

Would we be the same if we went up? Its not like when we were last promoted is it?

No, it certainly wouldn’t be like post 1992 or 2001.

However, Norwich are an extreme example of a club who are happy enough to do the promotion/relegation/parachute rinse and repeat.

Other clubs that are nothing to write home about, I.e Brighton, Palace etc make a decent fist of it, and surely considering prior to this season we’ve usually been bumbling around mid table/bottom half of the second tier, why not just replace it with the PL version! (though our owners having the interest or vision of Bloom at Brighton or Parish at Palace is a different issue!).

1 hour ago, 47er said:

My daughter's partner is a Norwich supporter and we chat a lot about football. Increasingly, our conversations theses days are   about "what's the point"? He was elated last season, as he has been before, only to be in misery this season, as he has before.

Would we be the same if we went up? Its not like when we were last promoted is it?

looking the bottom half of the premier league,it`s clear to see they are all poor sides,there is nothing to fear imo,as long as you have some pace in your team and a reasonably solid defence there is no reason why relegation can`t be avoided,if the likes of brighton can establish themselves,im`e sure rovers can,just needs a solid game plan

getting into the top half presents a completely different challenge though🤔

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 47er said:

I'd be gutted at dropping back down but still happy that a huge chunk of debt has been removed, as well as parachute payments and FFP temporarily doing one.

It may also wise up Venkys about the riches of promotion.

Norwich walked the Championship last season,they have literally been mercilessly battered from Pillar to Post in most games this season...quite frightening the gulf in class.

All the smaller/Town Clubs in the top flight have a limited staying power,we found that out ourselves.

Looks like Burnley's time is now up too.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, JBiz said:

Wow some of those comments seem ridiculous, I don’t watch enough of bUnla to know much but I thought he was held in much higher esteem.

I did think they’ve been very poor transfer wise bar Cornet. Their squad is “Ewd as”

I've watched them sporadically over the last few seasons. What seems to be gone this year is their resilience. City aside, teams rarely used to score more than 2 against them. If they went 1-0 up or pulled it back to 1-1 it was very probable that Burnley would get points from those positions. They've shipped 2 and 3 on multiple occasions so far. They looked shaky yesterday even at 1-1.

Cornet can play, if he stays fit he'll get them a few points. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Mike E said:

Apparently lots of lower shareholders at Burnley selling up. They've been offered half-cash, half-credit. The mistake (on the club side) is that the credit can be used on STs and hospitality.

In my FIL's case, that's 5 years of STs in a hospitality box 'for free', plus cash.

I think that relinquishing their shares in the club will be a bad move. They'll end up in the same situation as us. No say in the club, no consideration given and no respect.

Feel for Dyche, done miracles keeping a championship standard team up for years and has never been backed as he should to kick on like when they miraculously got into Europe. Think this season might be a step to far for them, if we went up and they went down that would be absolutely hilarious although I wouldn’t mind playing them again sometime soon! 

Feel for him? In a way, as the job he’s done would’ve got him a better job a few years back - An Aston Villa, an Everton, a West Ham. Said clubs now wouldn’t go down that route with a barge pole.

However, he’s on an enormous salary and has worked without any pressure of losing his job for a decade, yes little to spend, but he knows that’s the case every time he signs up for another lucrative contract - their 2021 form was 92nd out of 92 league clubs, an unacceptable return at many other sides. But at Burnley they just muddle on.

They are perfect for each other.

5 hours ago, Butty said:

Feel for Dyche, done miracles keeping a championship standard team up for years and has never been backed as he should to kick on like when they miraculously got into Europe. Think this season might be a step to far for them, if we went up and they went down that would be absolutely hilarious although I wouldn’t mind playing them again sometime soon! 

Where i have seen this situation before... Hmmm 

On 03/01/2022 at 14:53, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Norwich walked the Championship last season,they have literally been mercilessly battered from Pillar to Post in most games this season...quite frightening the gulf in class.

All the smaller/Town Clubs in the top flight have a limited staying power,we found that out ourselves.

Looks like Burnley's time is now up too.

On 03/01/2022 at 16:29, El Tombro said:

I'd be interested in @longsiders1882 take on the situation.

My feeling is that Burnley would go down if they decided to replace Dyche. I really don't think that will happen under any circumstance, however. On the few occasions that I've watched Burnley this season they are usually a stubborn team that make life difficult for the opposition. I'm not sure of many other managers that could get the same tune out of those players, let alone successfully change the style of play midway through the season.

Regarding Pace, he seems to be a popular character with the supporters. He seems very communicative via social media and interviews, and seems to enjoy interacting with supporters. The cynic in me wonders if it's just a front to distract from the financial side of the leveraged deal and how things might pan out down the line. He is at least in the vicinity of the area, turns up to games, and perhaps has his finger on the pulse of his club more than our aloof owners do, so some credit where it's due on that front.

All interesting stuff which I don't know a great deal about (which my comments might demonstrate as an outsider).

On 03/01/2022 at 16:44, speeeeeeedie said:

I've watched them sporadically over the last few seasons. What seems to be gone this year is their resilience. City aside, teams rarely used to score more than 2 against them. If they went 1-0 up or pulled it back to 1-1 it was very probable that Burnley would get points from those positions. They've shipped 2 and 3 on multiple occasions so far. They looked shaky yesterday even at 1-1.

Cornet can play, if he stays fit he'll get them a few points. 

11 hours ago, Upside Down said:

Well who would want to play for Juventus in the Champions League when you can come and get neck deep in a relegation shit fight playing for suupa bonleh.

It's a no brainer really. 

Sorry for the delay in relplying - been taking time out from t'internet over the festive period - its been magnificent for my well being as it goes.

Can't argue with those saying we are done - points dropped against Newcastle, Leeds and Norwich are the warning sign. I feel a bit for the new owners as we are paying the price for the previous under investment season after season for the last 3 years. Cornet is a decent signing and we'd need something similar up front and/or in the middle to have even a vague chance of surviving. Our next league games are Leicester (H), Arsenal (A) , Man Utd (H) and Liverpool (H) then Brighton & Palace (A) Don't see  point in those games. Of course they may slot in some rearranged games which look a little more likely to give us points but there is a real chance by the end of Feb we are so far adrift it makes no difference.

I wouldn't bin Dyche under any circumstances but I don't call the shots. 

Oh and on the Ramsay thing - I can't believe that nonsense is coming from us - wouldn't happen and we wouldn't waste our time tryng (I hope!). 

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, longsiders1882 said:

Our next league games are Leicester (H), Arsenal (A) , Man Utd (H) and Liverpool (H) then Brighton & Palace (A) Don't see  point in those games. Of course they may slot in some rearranged games which look a little more likely to give us points but there is a real chance by the end of Feb we are so far adrift it makes no difference.

That is a nasty looking run. Watford have games against Norwich and Newcastle over the same period too, so easy to see them getting a few points there.

The thing I'd be clinging onto in your position is that there have been three teams around you that, in the main, have been very poor in the first half of the season. If that stays the same for the next half, it's not that hard to see Burnley finishing 17th without a ridiculous change in form, especially with the experience you've got.

Having said that, if Newcastle splash the cash and it translates into results (no guarantee of that), I struggle to see you chasing down anyone above Watford bar one of those teams absolutely nosediving. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, longsiders1882 said:

Sorry for the delay in relplying - been taking time out from t'internet over the festive period - its been magnificent for my well being as it goes.

Can't argue with those saying we are done - points dropped against Newcastle, Leeds and Norwich are the warning sign. I feel a bit for the new owners as we are paying the price for the previous under investment season after season for the last 3 years. Cornet is a decent signing and we'd need something similar up front and/or in the middle to have even a vague chance of surviving. Our next league games are Leicester (H), Arsenal (A) , Man Utd (H) and Liverpool (H) then Brighton & Palace (A) Don't see  point in those games. Of course they may slot in some rearranged games which look a little more likely to give us points but there is a real chance by the end of Feb we are so far adrift it makes no difference.

I wouldn't bin Dyche under any circumstances but I don't call the shots. 

Oh and on the Ramsay thing - I can't believe that nonsense is coming from us - wouldn't happen and we wouldn't waste our time tryng (I hope!). 

I’m not sure a Ramsey is what you need. I rate him very highly as a player but does he want to get involved in a dogfight ?

19 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

That is a nasty looking run. Watford have games against Norwich and Newcastle over the same period too, so easy to see them getting a few points there.

The thing I'd be clinging onto in your position is that there have been three teams around you that, in the main, have been very poor in the first half of the season. If that stays the same for the next half, it's not that hard to see Burnley finishing 17th without a ridiculous change in form, especially with the experience you've got.

Having said that, if Newcastle splash the cash and it translates into results (no guarantee of that), I struggle to see you chasing down anyone above Watford bar one of those teams absolutely nosediving. 

Trippier is an excellent start if he's even 70% the player who left us, let alone the player he became at Spurs and in Spain - he was our best attacking threat and defender.

1 minute ago, longsiders1882 said:

Trippier is an excellent start if he's even 70% the player who left us, let alone the player he became at Spurs and in Spain - he was our best attacking threat and defender.

Yes he’s a good player. I used to drink with his headteacher. He was at a school in Bury who’s name I can’t recall. He told me about him when he was a kid at City. Smashing lad apparently.

29 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

You need a Joey Barton or even a Robbie Savage type. Somebody who’ll gee things up on and off the pitch.

You won't believe this but that it is literally exactly what I initially typed in my reply but decided not to as I thought I'd end up having to defend Bartons behavoir 😁

19 minutes ago, longsiders1882 said:

You won't believe this but that it is literally exactly what I initially typed in my reply but decided not to as I thought I'd end up having to defend Bartons behavoir 😁

I’d a soft spot for Joey Barton. I once saw him playing for City at Wigan and he absolutely played them on his own and won. Under rated as a footballer.

• Like 1