BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Wigan (a), FA Cup 3rd Round, 8/1/21

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

I dont think we need 2 defensive midfielders at the start of the game but one defensive midfielder in Davenport and playmaker in Buckley..

I don't think Mowbray particularly think of Johnson as a DM - he's mostly played as a false nine when he's got on this season.

2 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

With James Brown (Soul Machine) signing today I think he may get thrown in at right back. I know Mowbray said under 23s but if JRC isnt fit can see it TM giving him a whirl.

It wouldn't be the first time he has pushed someone back into the team before they're ready...or even the first time he has done it to JRC.

2 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

With James Brown (Soul Machine) signing today I think he may get thrown in at right back. I know Mowbray said under 23s but if JRC isnt fit can see it TM giving him a whirl.

I think Tony would rather play Buckley at right back before he’d throw either of JRC or The Godfather of Soul  in on Saturday

• Like 1

3 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

bit of a step up from drogheda utd to the english football league innit?? think the soul machine needs to get himself used to this level first,i can see tony putting carter in at right back for saturday

3 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

I read he’s not played first team footie for quite a while, so I can’t see it happening.

Whilst I hope we have enough in the tank to consume the pie-eaters, I'd not be that bothered if we were to bow out once again in the 3rd round. Sensible tactics for me would be to rest key players, whilst giving fringe players the chance to show what they can contribute. Of course that approach carries the risk that a good result creates a selection dilemma later on - do you stick with the team that got the result(s) earlier in the competition, or allow your first choice players from the league campaign back in (which never seems fair on the fringe contingent)...?

Alternatively should TM take the view that the season can include a run in a cup competition, therefore continuing with the settled team approach that appears to have paid dividends since the Fulham debacle?

Regardless of what actually happens re team selection on Saturday, I'd hope to see a continuation of the attitude, work-rate and team spirit that has characterised the Rovers this season so far - that to me seems to have been the difference that has made the difference. If TM can deliver the same approach using a different set of players, then I'd be confident that a good result would be achievable against Wigan, regardless of whose name is on the team-sheet. The question is, how much of the recent form is down to having a group of players who are used to working with each other?

We shall see. I foresee a free-scoring game on Saturday, with both teams 'going for it' - perhaps an entertaining 2-2 followed by a replay at Ewood, with Rovers running out 5-0 winners.

COYB! Keep the winning mentality and momentum going! 🙂

When dad were a lad....jpg

Hmm.. momentum might be a bit of a stretch, as regards the FA cup!!

Edited by WIR Second Coming
Sleeping giants of the FA Cup, BRFC ready to awaken after nearly 100 years! Come on my Blue & White Beauties!
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

I don't see it. The Irish season ended in November I believe. He hasn't played since, and will have only started training recently. He effectively hasn't had a preseason...we all know how Tony feels about that, and how long he likes people to bed in in general. That's before factoring that he has never played at anything like this level and the manager has said he won't be playing.

Add all that together and I think it will take an injury, maybe two, for there to be any chance of it at all.

45 minutes ago, WIR Second Coming said:

Whilst I hope we have enough in the tank to consume the pie-eaters, I'd not be that bothered if we were to bow out once again in the 3rd round. Sensible tactics for me would be to rest key players, whilst giving fringe players the chance to show what they can contribute. Of course that approach carries the risk that a good result creates a selection dilemma later on - do you stick with the team that got the result(s) earlier in the competition, or allow your first choice players from the league campaign back in (which never seems fair on the fringe contingent)...?

Alternatively should TM take the view that the season can include a run in a cup competition, therefore continuing with the settled team approach that appears to have paid dividends since the Fulham debacle?

Regardless of what actually happens re team selection on Saturday, I'd hope to see a continuation of the attitude, work-rate and team spirit that has characterised the Rovers this season so far - that to me seems to have been the difference that has made the difference. If TM can deliver the same approach using a different set of players, then I'd be confident that a good result would be achievable against Wigan, regardless of whose name is on the team-sheet. The question is, how much of the recent form is down to having a group of players who are used to working with each other?

We shall see. I foresee a free-scoring game on Saturday, with both teams 'going for it' - perhaps an entertaining 2-2 followed by a replay at Ewood, with Rovers running out 5-0 winners.

I don't see a dilemma. Not this season - it has to be fringe players in the cup. Unlike previous seasons we are clearly going to play our best side in the league as often as possible. This means a few fringe players will likely be in need of minutes, and even if injuries squeeze the squad I'd prefer to see youth players given games.

Ordinarily I'm all for a good cup run. Some look down on them but I love both cups. However this season is looking far too big and the squad too small, to get bogged down in a side quest. Obviously I want us to win every game and go as far as we can, but with fringe players as much as possible. If we somehow get to the later stages, then there is a dilemma. One we can weigh against how the league campaign is going at that time.

Tbh though TM has always shown himself to be a terrible cup manager for us, who has bowed out at the first or second opportunity on nearly, or perhaps all, occasions. Even when he plays a strong side, so even less reason to risk a lot of first teamers.

The worry for me is if we lose this one I fear it could hamper the momentum, especially on the back of the Hudds draw. The side will inevitably feature some first teamers, perhaps quite a few, and their confidence could take a knock if they bow out to a lower league side. Hopefully they're mentally stronger than that, but a lot of it can be subconscious.

The ideal scenario is, of course, as many fringe players fielded as possible, with a win by hook or by crook. Keeping momentum going and allowing the fringe players to show the first teamers their spot isn't safe and they can't relax. If I'm honest, my prediction is a weakened side under a manager with no nous in the cup gets knocked out in this one. I expect Wigan to be up for it, to prove their Championship credentials against a local side. Hopefully I'm totally wrong 🙂

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

I am reading a lot about players needing rest as a justification to play a weakened side.

We played FOUR games in December and 5 full days since we played Huddersfield.

I don't have to say any more.

In my view it's about giving players who haven't played too much recently a game along with a couple of under 23's.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AllRoverAsia said:

I am reading a lot about players needing rest as a justification to play a weakened side.

Was just about to say the same. We've had a very easy December mostly playing just once a week. 

• Like 3

No-one will be too bothered about this game if we go up, but there's no guarantee whatsoever we will go up and for me you can never, ever, win too many games.

As always it's down to the manager to take the game seriously and utilise the squad but still put out a good enough side to get through the tie.

Something he's been sadly lacking at in Cup competitions over recent years.

• Like 5

This is a perfect chance to keep the fringe players fit. We havent rotated much lately, also the main 11 need to keep as fresh as possible. Hard decision as others have said, a win keeps momentum but injuries or fatigue to key players would be a disaster. 

Kaminski

Carter Ayala Wharton

Brown    Johnson   Davenport   Edun

Butterworth

Gallagher         Dolan

• Like 2

6 hours ago, bluebruce said:

The worry for me is if we lose this one I fear it could hamper the momentum, especially on the back of the Hudds draw. The side will inevitably feature some first teamers, perhaps quite a few, and their confidence could take a knock if they bow out to a lower league side. Hopefully they're mentally stronger than that, but a lot of it can be subconscious.

I doubt there's nothing that hits the spirits of a team more than going down 0-7 at home in the league, then 1 nil down in the first two minutes of the next game 3 days later!. They dealt with that OK, so a defeat for a team containing a few fringe players at a top L1 team ought to be water off a duck's back in comparison...

2 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

I agree that use of fringe players is the way to go at Wigan, to give them game time & most first teamers a rest. Yes we had less games in December than expected, but 2 of those were leggy affairs on a sodden pitch, & all the prep (training, travel etc) was done for the Hull game, which is now an extra game in January that we will have to deal with.

Cup is great, & let's not throw it away, but the league MUST be prioritised. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WIR Second Coming said:

There are no replays in this or the next round.

It's worth £82 000 to the winner, plus gate receipts. In times like these it could pay for a signing or two...... I'm pretty optimistic that baring a disaster that we will be in the top 6 at the end of the season. The extra money could pay to bring in one of the out of contract players in January instead of waiting til after the play offs.

We are on a roll, I wouldn't rest more than 2 players plus the 3/4 that are already out

11 minutes ago, Hannoverover said:

It's worth £82 000 to the winner, plus gate receipts. In times like these it could pay for a signing or two...... I'm pretty optimistic that baring a disaster that we will be in the top 6 at the end of the season. The extra money could pay to bring in one of the out of contract players in January instead of waiting til after the play offs.

We are on a roll, I wouldn't rest more than 2 players plus the 3/4 that are already out

Call me a traditionalist, but I will be pissed right off, if we lose this by fielding a badly weakened team. Granted we are on a great position in the league, but we should be trying our best to make it through and pocket the money and the chance of a lucrative draw in the next round.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Hannoverover said:

I was thinking along the same lines, but the cheap tickets will stop this making much of a difference I think. Say average tickets are around £12 considering concessions, a crowd of 10k will get us around £60k. Plus the prize money it's welcome, but I can't see it making any difference to the budget.

A win on Saturday, then an away draw against a United/Spurs/Arsenal, then maybe that could make a difference. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, lraC said:

Call me a traditionalist, but I will be pissed right off, if we lose this by fielding a badly weakened team. Granted we are on a great position in the league, but we should be trying our best to make it through and pocket the money and the chance of a lucrative draw in the next round.

Yeah and we draw City at home in the next round and get thumped 6-0 and pick up a couple of injuries along the way.

We have a squad and are playing against league 1 opposition.The squad players need match practice too and imo with our current position in the league and squad size a number of players should be rested for this.Cardiff away, Hull away and Boro home follow this match,the priority is those matches.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, rigger said:

There are no replays in this or the next round.

I did take a peek at the Rules of Competition before I wrote that, which do mention replays for ties that end in a draw, so am a little surprised. Having said that, I'd rather we got the job done (one way or another) on the day, so we can avoid fixture congestion when we need to stay fit and focused on the league campaign.