BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Middlesbrough (h) - 24/1/22

24 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

Really struggling to see a full squad tonight especially with under 23s playing too.

Gallagher will probably start with Khadra  although cant see gallagher getting though 90 mins, given his injuries already this season.

It wouldnt surprise me if he brought Johnson in, and played Rothwell further forward, and surprised us all by putting Khadra on the bench, with the plan to swap him for Gallagher after 65 mins.

Looking at the table, this is a must not lose game. Given the loss of Brereton and Dolan (can't really count Markanday not seen enough of him yet) then a point would be deemed a good result, and i suspect we will set up to get just that.

Any more injuries and things could start to de-rail a little. Poveda already out, Clarkson gone back to Liverpool. Nyambe in and out of fitness, with Zeefuik and JRC way off match fitness. 

Pickering (been major miss) being covered by Edun, but no real cover there.

What i'd like to see tonight, is an end to the numerous yellow cards we've picked up for time-wasting, back chat and silly pointless fouls. These will play a big part as the season progresses and we,'ve shown we struggle when we are without just 1 or 2 of our preferred 11.

Looking at things, i really think rovers need to bring at least 3 first team ready players in over the next week, as its only when we are without one or two that the glaring gaps in our squad shines through.

I agree with you about the yellow cards, most of them were completely unnecessary.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Miker said:

Can’t see us winning here, but Brereton being out may be a blessing in disguise.

He has been poor in the last few games and maybe a fresh approach will get results tonight. Time for Gallagher and Butterworth to step up.

I would have played BBD if he was available, but agree he has been poor and looked tired in the last few games. Hopefully a trip to see his Chilean mates will get him firing again.

• Like 2

Tough tough game ahead.

I'm not too worried about  BBD out, he hasnt done much the last few games, but a game like the Barnsley one show where you still need him.

Techincally looking at the points we could drop 2 points here and still be strong (providing Bournemouth dont start winning!) but we dont want to rely on others. We 100% got away with it with the Hull result. Never again though!

Three points or bust! Big push tonight Blues!!! Let's do this. I'm not putting pressure on but for me this is our biggest game in about 13-15 years!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

How the hell is Zeefuik so far from fitness?....these are supposed to be professional Athlete's.

What I cannot get my head round, is that Mowbray can see Zeefuik as unfit to play, yet he thinks that Johnson is.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, glen9mullan said:

Really struggling to see a full squad tonight especially with under 23s playing too.

Gallagher will probably start with Khadra  although cant see gallagher getting though 90 mins, given his injuries already this season.

It wouldnt surprise me if he brought Johnson in, and played Rothwell further forward, and surprised us all by putting Khadra on the bench, with the plan to swap him for Gallagher after 65 mins.

Looking at the table, this is a must not lose game. Given the loss of Brereton and Dolan (can't really count Markanday not seen enough of him yet) then a point would be deemed a good result, and i suspect we will set up to get just that.

Any more injuries and things could start to de-rail a little. Poveda already out, Clarkson gone back to Liverpool. Nyambe in and out of fitness, with Zeefuik and JRC way off match fitness. 

Pickering (been major miss) being covered by Edun, but no real cover there.

What i'd like to see tonight, is an end to the numerous yellow cards we've picked up for time-wasting, back chat and silly pointless fouls. These will play a big part as the season progresses and we,'ve shown we struggle when we are without just 1 or 2 of our preferred 11.

Looking at things, i really think rovers need to bring at least 3 first team ready players in over the next week, as its only when we are without one or two that the glaring gaps in our squad shines through.

Surely we would just pull players out of the 23s to populate the bench? Probable squad - 

Kaminski; Lenihan, Ayala, Wharton; Nyambe, Travis, Buckly, Rothwell, Edun; Gallagher, Khadra

Subs : Pears, Van Hecke, JRC, Johnson, Butterworth.

So (assuming Zeefuik and Brown are not ready) probs need 2 from the 23s to make the 7 - maybe Garrett and McBride? Or could pull in Chapman?

My team would be this. I refuse to play Gallagher after that last match. 

Kaminski

Lenihan         Ayala        Wharton

Nyambe                                                                Edun

Rothwell   Travis

Buckly     

Butterworth           Khadra

16 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Are you @Mercerspiritual brother?

Depends. Does he also semi-expect the scorelines from his dreams to come to fruition? Whilst in reality, he's likely to end up feeling cold and disappointed with a hint of betrayal?

If so, then the answer is yes.

Edited by TheRevAshton

I have that sickly sort of pre match feeling tonight, not because I think we will lose, it is simply because of how I know I will feel if we do.

A point would be fine tonight in my opinion and if we manage a win, I might be up all night having a COVID safe party.

• Like 2

Mowbray wants Rovers to play the Liverpool way (albeit, with 3 centre backs), in which case we have to press as a team like Liverpool. We don't have the defensive numbers in the middle or the pace at the back to let teams play their passes. If Mowbray is intent on playing Gallagher, we should be dropping Buckley into central attacking midfield and playing a more traditional 3-5-2 and try to utilise Gallagher's hold up play - which is of more benefit in a central area.

I do fear the worst, being a pessimist and seeing their form and two major loan signings. (I'm surprised Mowbray was talking them up so much, as if they need a confidence boost). Perhaps, a key man will be Edun, for us. He's been shaky overall and Boro's Isaiah Jones seems to be their preferred right wing back and he dropped a couple of stepovers and beat his man to cross the ball for their late winner against Reading. If Edun has his best game for Rovers yet, we probably will be in with a chance.

I do feel that we're going to have to learn to mix up our play, if we're going to continue winning, as teams are going to sit deep to nullify the counter attack.

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, riverholmes said:

Mowbray wants Rovers to play the Liverpool way (albeit, with 3 centre backs), in which case we have to press as a team like Liverpool. We don't have the defensive numbers in the middle or the pace at the back to let teams play their passes. If Mowbray is intent on playing Gallagher, we should be dropping Buckley into central attacking midfield and playing a more traditional 3-5-2 and try to utilise Gallagher's hold up play - which is of more benefit in a central area.

I do fear the worst, being a pessimist and seeing their form and two major loan signings. (I'm surprised Mowbray was talking them up so much, as if they need a confidence boost). Perhaps, a key man will be Edun, for us. He's been shaky overall and Boro's Isaiah Jones seems to be their preferred right wing back and he dropped a couple of stepovers and beat his man to cross the ball for their late winner against Reading. If Edun has his best game for Rovers yet, we probably will be in with a chance.

I didn’t know Gallagher had any hold up play. I await it’s emergence tonight.

• Like 2

We are playing Middlesbrough who are 7th in Championship (admittedly on a good run) and not City the PL's run away leaders - some perspective called for.

I'm going for a narrow Rovers' win tonight as I think Rothwell / Buckley will create / execute enough for us to notch a couple of goals.

9/5 for win and 21/2 for 2-1 are good value bets.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I repeatedly see Gallagher and hold-up in the same sentence. The only way they should be is as follows: Gallagher cannot hold-up the ball.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Not so much hold up play but if Gallaghers central in a two at least when it bounces off him there should be some of our players near to him to benefit from it. Also he can just run at them and batter his way through Jason Roberts style. 

On the right wing the ball bounces off him out of play as often as not, or if he does control it as soon as he tries to pass it he loses it. Most mysterious player continuing player selection in all my time watching Rovers.

If we play Buckley false 9 and Gallagher wide right tonight I will be sorely tempted just to turn the TV back off.