BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Middlesbrough (h) - 24/1/22

It is definitely a big worry going into Monday wondering where we will score goals without Brereton, especially with Markanday and Dolan out, not that either of them are proven goalscorers but it further reduces the options available. Gallagher is a donkey as we all know and Khadra is never a prolific scorer. You contrast that to Boro who have 2 new additions in forward areas ready to go.

Nyambe and Travis should come straight back in which should make us more solid however. Boro have an excellent manager at this level who will make them more than the sum of their parts, that being said, it is probably partly indicative of a league of poor quality; I don't think that Boro's squad is anything remarkable. Crooks will be a huge physical danger from deep and they will play a lot through Jones down the right hand side. But it would be hasty to right off our chances at home even without our primary goal threat.

Surely it will be 

kaminski 

lenihan      Van heck     Warton

naymbe                 Travis           Edun

Rothwell

khandra                  Buckley         Gally

Not at all conveniences Gally is the answer but who else?  Butterworth maybe, but never in 100 years could I see TM selecting him over Gally  

31 minutes ago, yankfan said:

Surely it will be 

kaminski 

lenihan      Van heck     Warton

naymbe                 Travis           Edun

Rothwell

khandra                  Buckley         Gally

Not at all conveniences Gally is the answer but who else?  Butterworth maybe, but never in 100 years could I see TM selecting him over Gally  

It will be that team if all players are fit. I have no doubts Gallagher will start.

38 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

It is definitely a big worry going into Monday wondering where we will score goals without Brereton, especially with Markanday and Dolan out, not that either of them are proven goalscorers but it further reduces the options available. Gallagher is a donkey as we all know and Khadra is never a prolific scorer. You contrast that to Boro who have 2 new additions in forward areas ready to go.

Nyambe and Travis should come straight back in which should make us more solid however. Boro have an excellent manager at this level who will make them more than the sum of their parts, that being said, it is probably partly indicative of a league of poor quality; I don't think that Boro's squad is anything remarkable. Crooks will be a huge physical danger from deep and they will play a lot through Jones down the right hand side. But it would be hasty to right off our chances at home even without our primary goal threat.

2 new forwards ready to go?Balagoun has played hardly any first team football and when he has featured for Arsenal he has been poor and Connolly is a handy player but not a goalscorer imo.

The reason we are as high as we are in the league is down to the vast improvement of the defensive side of our game.Brererton was scoring earlier in the season and we weren't in the top 6 and Armstrong scored 28 goals last year and we finished 15th.

I'm not arguing that we need another forward in but if we continue to defend as we have been doing in most the matches since Fulham we will keep ourselves in contention.

Edited by islander200
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, islander200 said:

2 new forwards ready to go?Balagoun has played hardly any first team football and when he has featured for Arsenal he has been poor and Connolly is a handy player but not a goalscorer imo.

The reason we are as high as we are in the league is down to the vast improvement of the defensive side of our game.Brererton was scoring earlier in the season and we weren't in the top 6 and Armstrong scored 28 goals last year and we finished 15th.

I'm not arguing that we need another forward in but if we continue to defend as we have been doing in most the matches since Fulham we will keep ourselves in contention.

I meant as in available.

I acknowledged that we will be more solid again which is key but it is equally valid to question our attacking side which is massively depleted with our main goalscorer out (as well as a couple of other attacking players) and we are weaker as a result.

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I meant as in available.

I acknowledged that we will be more solid again which is key but it is equally valid to question our attacking side which is massively depleted with our main goalscorer out (as well as a couple of other attacking players) and we are weaker as a result.

If you take the main scorer out of any side and Brererton out of ours our goals for is comparable with the rest of the top 6 excluding Fulham.

Solanke out of the Bournemouth side goals for they are 1 or 2 ahead.

Boro haven't been scoring a lot of goals..the game will be tight but if we get the defensive side of our game right I think we will be celebrating 3 points on Monday night.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, islander200 said:

If you take the main scorer out of any side and Brererton out of ours our goals for is comparable with the rest of the top 6 excluding Fulham.

Solanke out of the Bournemouth side goals for they are 1 or 2 ahead.

Boro haven't been scoring a lot of goals..the game will be tight but if we get the defensive side of our game right I think we will be celebrating 3 points on Monday night.

Of course but if you take a main goalscorer out of any team, you weaken them as a result. We would rather he was available and I don't think we have much goal threat.

8 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Of course but if you take a main goalscorer out of any team, you weaken them as a result. We would rather he was available and I don't think we have much goal threat.

And neither do Boro their top scorer has 6.And the two new forwards have no track record of being goalscorers at senior level.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, islander200 said:

And neither do Boro their top scorer has 6.And the two new forwards have no track record of being goalscorers at senior level.

True. But I suppose neither does Markanday yet its assumed across the board that not having him available for selection weakens our options overall.

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

True. But I suppose neither does Markanday yet its assumed across the board that not having him available for selection weakens our options overall.

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

It was a blow but anyone who was thinking Markanday would come in and start scoring loads of goals etc was being optimistic.

Like today on FB on the rovers group some saying we won't even make the playoffs now because he got injured and because of the form of the other teams around us.Christ we have only lost one match.

We have been below par but the pitch was atrocious v Huddersfield, we still picked up a point and clean sheet.At Cardiff behind close doors we were poor but got the job done it wasn't like they were creating loads of clear cut chances and we were hanging on.

The manager got it wrong v Hull, no Travis and no Nyambe and we were shit.

Just some of the panic and comments after losing 1 game is unbelievable imo...like saying we don't have a chance at home against a Boro side you have 31 league goals to their name this season.(not you making these comments)

Minus Brererton is a big blow but our home record is fantastic and defensively we have been superb last cpl of months, we shouldn't be fearing playing Boro.

• Like 3

Crucial game this for me imo. Losing given the past few games would mean 4 points from 12 and suddenly we're in a rut after being on a 10 (?) game unbeaten run. Draw wouldn't be a disaster but a win would put us 10 points clear in the play offs and up into second albeit with an extra game. It's the difference between a 10 point cushion and a 5 point cushion with winning bringing a bag full of confidence and losing probably damaging morale

• Like 1

Whilst the current rules are questionable to say the least, it isnt a case of just asking to call it off. I am unsure if it is the same rule across the EFL but isnt it that you need 14 players (including one keeper) to be fit and available, including anyone who has played a senior game? Obviously we do so we cant call it off, end of.

1 hour ago, islander200 said:

It was a blow but anyone who was thinking Markanday would come in and start scoring loads of goals etc was being optimistic.

Like today on FB on the rovers group some saying we won't even make the playoffs now because he got injured and because of the form of the other teams around us.Christ we have only lost one match.

We have been below par but the pitch was atrocious v Huddersfield, we still picked up a point and clean sheet.At Cardiff behind close doors we were poor but got the job done it wasn't like they were creating loads of clear cut chances and we were hanging on.

The manager got it wrong v Hull, no Travis and no Nyambe and we were shit.

Just some of the panic and comments after losing 1 game is unbelievable imo...like saying we don't have a chance at home against a Boro side you have 31 league goals to their name this season.(not you making these comments)

Minus Brererton is a big blow but our home record is fantastic and defensively we have been superb last cpl of months, we shouldn't be fearing playing Boro.

Anyone who isn't anxious  about Rovers position at the moment has to be comatose. Venting on here is a normal and natural way to help lift the burden. That's what being a Rovers fan is like for me.

You can point to our recent run all you like, logic only takes you so far.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, 47er said:

Anyone who isn't anxious  about Rovers position at the moment has to be comatose. Venting on here is a normal and natural way to help lift the burden. That's what being a Rovers fan is like for me.

You can point to our recent run all you like, logic only takes you so far.

Ok if you want to believe and treat Boro like Man City and have already lost the game that is up to you.

In previous seasons we couldn't defend.Nyambe and Travis are back for Monday night.Boro are on decent form but they are not blitzing teams.Our home record is second best in the division.

I'm not anxious about making the playoffs we would have to go an absolutely awful run to fall out of them now.The team in the last couple of months is worthy of more respect than thinking after 1 defeat and an injury to one player who hasn't contributed to our excellent season so far will lead to us falling away altogether.

If you have a decent defence which we have then you always have a chance

• Like 1