BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Luton Town (a) - 29/1/22

1 hour ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Another game where we should have been playing against 10. What do you have to do to get sent off against Rovers?!

Punch the goalkeeper in his bollocks.

Oh, wait a minute........................

• Like 2

At 3 o'clock I really fancied a win and would have been disappointed with a draw but, given the circumstances I was delighted at the final whistle to get a point. Luton are horrible. They have a severely limited football team, probably the worst ground in professional football and a horrible little twat as manager. However the play to their strengths and boom the ball forward most times and get the ball in the box as often and as quickly as possible. But this Rovers team stood up to them and for most of the game kept them at bay. The injuries absolutely disrupted us and showed how alarmingly thin the squad is. Although we are still in a strong position my fear is that further injuries and suspensions could kill us.

It's probably the biggest couple of days in our season coming up. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, bazza said:

I heard we had never won a league game at Kenilworth Road. I think Andy Bayse and Kevin Gallacher said it.

As I pointed out earlier in the thread Rovers have indeed never won at Kenilworth Rd in the league. We have just the 4-0 FA Cup win in 2007.

I thought Ayala’s appearance was both attacking and defensive. Shove him up front and see if he can cause some chaos but also have him as an extra defender if Luton get the chance to throw some balls in the box as they did with three corners and a free kick near the end.

• Like 1

This was a case of putting the point in the bag and moving on. Tough opponents at a tough ground with a depleted squad and in-game injuries to boot. You can say it's points dropped, but that's only if you focus on one weekend rather than a whole season. None of our promotion rivals have so far won at Luton, in fact the likes of Bournemouth and Fulham lost there so we can think of it as a point gained on some. 

Considering the circumstances, it's a good result. You can't win them all, so drawing those you can't win is better than losing them! We're in second place still after 29 games played, bring on Swansea!

• Like 3

Was certainly not a classic, but when I saw the line up, with Khadra added to those missing, i thought we were up against it. Could'nt see who was going to create, and who was going to score.

It proved the case, really low on quality.

That being said, christ the lads were brave, committed and gave everything against a very physical/dirty Luton to grab an unlikely point. This won't go down as a classic, but will go down as a game where every man stood up to be counted. At one stage we had 7 academy lads on the pitch, 2 loanees, a free transfer and Kaminski, when Ayala came on that became 2 free transfers.

The cost of that team today, if you take away Gallagher, is frightening, and if anything shows how little has been invested in the squad in terms of players bought.

We had lots of square pegs/ round holes at various stages of the game, but the lads never gave up. Its a pity the Rothwell saga has taken a bit of gloss off the game.

Another clean sheet, 4 points this week. 2nd place on points and on merit. Great reaction following the Hull game

• Like 1

7 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

reminded me of sunday mornings on astley village  playing fields,the kind of game when you dread a short misplaced pass  or a set piece  in your penalty area🙂

You're obviously from the same neck of the woods as me then. It's Astley Park as u well know & those pitches were like a ploughed  field. We used to have a our 'matches ' just behind there between the pitches & the duck pond. 

I can definitely see how decent teams can get beat down there. We were too good at the back though for them which is becoming a nice staple of our season.
They are rough down there but they are also quick and athletic and shut you down fast. Thought Mpanzu was brilliant tbh and can see why we were interested in him. The boy Lockyer and Lansbury both should have been off today. Both absolute prats.

Its a good point but next week we should have 5/6 players to come into that side. We move on.

• Like 1

• Herbie6590 changed the title to v Luton Town (a) - 29/1/22
  • J*B unpinned this topic