BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Blackburn lads who played for rovers

14 minutes ago, bazza said:

Helliwell isn't listed in Wiki.

George Donis' son must have been born in Blackburn and become a footballer.

His youngest son Anastasios was born in Blackburn, but never played for Rovers which I think is what the thread started as asking Baz. 

22 minutes ago, bazza said:

Helliwell isn't listed in Wiki.

George Donis' son must have been born in Blackburn and become a footballer.

That’s funny because according to Rothmans Football League Players Records -

Helliwell, Dave  born Blackburn 28-3-48 App Blackburn signed 66.5.  played 1966-68 seasons   played 15 games scored 1 goal

I saw him make his debut in midfield at Ewood against Bristol City in a 2-0 win. He was very impressive that day and was probably M-O-M in that game but he never really kicked on. We were hoping he was the new Bryan Douglas but it wasn’t to be. Very much like John Buckley in physique and style of play. Then the game was much more physical than it is now and he just wasn’t big/strong enough.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Herbie6590 said:

Stuart Metcalfe

John Byrom

Neil Ramsbottom

Brett Ormerod

Re Neil Ramsbottom. I remember my dad telling me once he drove past a newsagents and on the a-board it said “Blackburn star in shock transfer”. So he thought Christ we only have Stuart metcalfe who’s of any value so pulled over to buy the paper but couldn’t see anything. Checked the back page nothing, so looked at the front page and nothing back to the back page and on a 2 inch column was Neil Ramsbottom the bury reserve keeper got a transfer to Plymouth argyle. Totally done. Neither a star nor shock but got him in and he bought the paper. 

Edited by matt83
  • Like 4

22 minutes ago, matt83 said:

Re Neil Ramsbottom. I remember my dad telling me once he drove past a newsagents and on the a-board it said “Blackburn star in shock transfer”. So he thought Christ we only have Stuart metcalfe who’s of any value so pulled over to buy the paper but couldn’t see anything. Checked the back page nothing, so looked at the front page and nothing back to the back page and on a 2 inch column was Neil Ramsbottom the bury reserve keeper got a transfer to Plymouth argyle. Totally done. Neither a star nor shock but got him in and he bought the paper. 

The original click bait

• Like 3

5 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

not sure if he played in the first team but anthony pilkington was born in blackburn and was`nt derek fazackerley  a local lad???

Pilky is a Darwen lad thank you very much! 😘, as is Brian Douglas, Ron and Ken Clayton were both born in Preston but were always Blackburnians from a young age. , Mark Patterson is another 'Darrener'.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

Pilky is a Darwen lad thank you very much! 😘

I know his parents very well Nick and played alongside his dad (and his uncles) many times. All darreners. But technically as he was born at QPH he is from Blackburn.

Edited by oldjamfan1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I know his parents very well Nick and played alongside his dad (and his uncles) many times. All darreners. But technically as he was born at QPH he is from Blackburn.

..piffel Andy but yep, splitting hairs, I concede!😘😂 Does transferring from QPH day after birth to Bull Hill qualify for entry on the passport?

What about all the youngsters forced to be born in Burnley these days?....My lad insisted that our Granddaughter's birth certificate stated Lancashire and not the town!

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

My lad insisted that our Granddaughter's birth certificate stated Lancashire and not the town!

They won’t do that. I did make strong enquiries. All new parents want the young uns to have the best start in life and most east Lancs parents have to saddle them with a born in Burnley stigma. 

Edited by matt83

1 hour ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I am from Blackburn, even though I was born in Bull Hill hospital.

• Like 2