BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer of 1995 - Fantasy Football Hindsight (Who should Rovers have bought?)

35 minutes ago, Nuttall is lost said:

How did people feel when Shearer left?  At the time I didn't blame him.  Dalglish had gone and the club was in decline and he was the best striker around.  Was surprised so many Blackburn fans booed him and took a dislike to him.  I thought that was petty and ungrateful.

The guy made Blackburn.

Jack Walker made the recent Rovers,Shearer was just one of many that helped.

36 minutes ago, Darrenbot said:

Jack Walker made the recent Rovers,Shearer was just one of many that helped.

Well yes it was Walker's money but Dalglish and Shearer were the ones that drove the success.  Walkers money did little after they left.  To say Shearer was just one if many is way off.  Shearer was the main man and its no coincidence they were labelled a one man team. 

Without Shearer the team would have been nowhere near the title.

Edited by Nuttall is lost

4 hours ago, Nuttall is lost said:

How did people feel when Shearer left?  At the time I didn't blame him.  Dalglish had gone and the club was in decline and he was the best striker around.  Was surprised so many Blackburn fans booed him and took a dislike to him.  I thought that was petty and ungrateful.

The guy made Blackburn.

I thought he shat on us.

I was only about 9 at the time. I’d just got my first shirt with shearer on and he was a god to me. I was devastated when he left . I didn’t u derstand anything back then other than my hero had gone to some team that wasn’t as good as us as we were the champions. The first time I saw him live was at ewood in a Newcastle shirt scoring a brace and goading the booing home fans. I booed him every touch after he scored.

As an adult with more understanding of what Newcastle meant to him, money and how life works etc I just look back on him worth the fondest of memories and a huge part of my childhood and will be eternally grateful for what he did for the club and the impact he had on me as a footballer and football fan and how he made me fall in love with the rovers when all around me wore red. I hate the fact I booed him but can claim some level of ignorance. Now he has retired he’s back to god status in my house 

7 hours ago, Nuttall is lost said:

The guy made Blackburn.

at least he went to his home town club and not to utd,that made him ok with me

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Nuttall is lost said:

Well yes it was Walker's money but Dalglish and Shearer were the ones that drove the success.  Walkers money did little after they left.  To say Shearer was just one if many is way off.  Shearer was the main man and its no coincidence they were labelled a one man team. 

Without Shearer the team would have been nowhere near the title.

Disrespectful to say the championship winning team was a one man team. Flowers, Hendry, Le Saux, Sherwood and Sutton were all in PFA team of the year. Interestingly, Flowers made more appearances in the PFA team of the year than Schmeichel.

Also disrespectful to the club to say "Shearer made Blackburn". 

• Moderation Lead
2 minutes ago, Nuttall is lost said:

Genuinely no idea.  If its Shearer then why do you have him in your profile pic?

I think he’s saying that because you call the club ‘Blackburn’ and not ‘us’ ‘we’ or ‘Rovers’ he’s not sure if you’re actually a fan….

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Disrespectful to say the championship winning team was a one man team. Flowers, Hendry, Le Saux, Sherwood and Sutton were all in PFA team of the year. Interestingly, Flowers made more appearances in the PFA team of the year than Schmeichel.

Also disrespectful to the club to say "Shearer made Blackburn". 

I didn't say they were.  I said they were labelled as a one man team.  But Shearer was by far the main driver for the success of the team since the  promotion in 1992.

Yes Walker's money was huge but Walker's money did little after Shearer and Kenny left. 

At the time Alan Shearer would have been the only member of the title winning team to get into the United team of that season.  I am not being disrespectful to the team but that is the truth. 

The rest of the team were good but Shearer was on another level that pushed them to success they would not have had had the strikers been Newell and Gallacher/Sutton.

So genuinely don;t get animosity towards Shearer.

If you had a time machine, you'd not only strengthen with those names mentioned, but fly to Madeira and influence a young Cristiano Ronaldo, then hop a flight to Argentina and speak with Mr and Mrs Messi.

They'd both be about 8 at the time 😆

The Zidane talk is a great story, but I always feel that in 95/96 we'd have been not many places higher than we actually were, Zidane would have got a move to European giant within 12 months, especially post Euro 96.

Graeme Le Saux and Jason Wilcox injuries, Alan Shearer's influence and power in regards to the return of Mike Newell, David Batty's lack of trust in Ray Harford, squad depth stretched thin in a European campaign, numerous things went against us in 95/96.

Edited by rog of the rovers

49 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Remember shearer being booed throughout when we played Newcastle in a 2-1 loss. He scores both goals and did a sign to the rovers fans I think it was an fa cup tie.  Shearer would be worth 150 million today

Don't get the booing.  Be like Man Utd fans booing Dennis Law or Celtic fans booing Henrik Larsson.

There should be a statue of Shearer outside the ground.

• Like 1