BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

22 hours ago, 47er said:

Injuries? Suspensions?

Thats why i said our starting 11 is strong but that the squad needs to be re-enforced. One of the first things i wrote was that the starting 11 isn't as depleted as everyone suggest however, we do need bodies in the squad. With that in mind with a new style of play. Mid table is realistic. 

17 minutes ago, roverstdt said:

Thats why i said our starting 11 is strong but that the squad needs to be re-enforced. One of the first things i wrote was that the starting 11 isn't as depleted as everyone suggest

I'm minded to agree. Sign a RB and we can put out a half decent 11. Trouble is that relies on ayala staying fit for 5 mins so absolutely need a lot more signings for the squad to be able to cope with injuries and suspensions and rotation 

On Anel, it seems like we've also missed out on his dad coming on to brfcs and potentially causing a bit of a stir.

Just been reading how he would get into spats on a Forest forum, with Forest fans mentioning an old Anel thread, containing his comments, being deleted.

Anel's views, after his dad called out his agent on social media for not helping him move to Chelsea:

“He writes different stuff, especially on Facebook. It’s not the first time he’s [done something like this],” Anel told Kvällsposten.

“He was at it too when I played at Nottingham Forest, he wrote in some forums there and it has always affected me negatively. I’ve always been criticised for that".

6 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

That's the £64m dollar question. It should be clear roughly  what players are after in terms of wages within 5 minutes of  speaking to their agent. As far as the defender we were after that has gone to Sheff Utd is concerned, in terms of the time and effort spent chasing him, we might as well have been chasing Virgil Van Dyke, the net result is the same, the player hasn't ended up coming here.

Under the old regime I used to (only partially) joke that working in the recruitment department appeared a bit of a doddle.

- Low ball various Clubs/ players at the start of the window with offers that are never going to be accepted. Leak a story to the lapdog local press that offers are on the table for various players.

- Pick fluff out of your navel for about half the window. Leak another story about still being "hopeful" of signing players X, Y, and Z to quell any mounting unrest.

- When the alleged target finally moves elsewhere to another Club for roughly what they were after, Leak a final hard luck story about being gazumped at the last minute by a Club coming in offering more money.

- Pick the phone up and see what last minute scraps are available off the Premier League loan table irrespective of whether they are the players we need in the positions we most urgently need filling.

- Job done! Put your feet up until the next window. Rinse and repeat.

I hope we're not going down a similar route with the new regime and have not merely added an unnecessary extra wage to the pay roll in Broughton.

As for Park, no loss at all, but if it was known he was going to be replaced some time ago he should have been replaced at the end of the season or even earlier and the new man brought in. His replacement might not fancy the names he was scouting particularly if he was merely dredging Scotland for low grade dross like Hedges.

Totally agree on being judged on who does sign rather than who doesn't.  No credit is earnt for who we sign and there is also no point in people doing what they sometimes do and add potential fees of players we are rumoured to have bid for, it has happened in the past to justify that we had more money and chose not to spend it. Take this Bosnian defender, even if we assume a genuine interest, we don't know if we actually bid and if we did bid, if it was £3m. All about how much we actually spend.

On a replacement for Park, things don't seemingly work like that under Venkys. There was no chance of a contract extension for Mowbray in the winter yet seemingly no work was done in thinking of a replacement. Waggott will also presumably stay either until he chooses to go (unlikely) or until the end of his contract which according to @1864roverite is in 2025 which is worrying!

3 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

They as in Waggot and Venus.... Don't think the Venkys actually knew.

The owners still somehow as the common denominator over 12 years seem to deflect the flak elsewhere by some based on this belief that they are naive and misled.

Even if we take your crazy assumption at face value and say that Venkys were totally oblivious, that would reflect just as bad on them as if they were leading it!

Edited by roversfan99
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

On Anel, it seems like we've also missed out on his dad coming on to brfcs and potentially causing a bit of a stir.

Just been reading how he would get into spats on a Forest forum, with Forest fans mentioning an old Anel thread, containing his comments, being deleted.

Anel's views, after his dad called out his agent on social media for not helping him move to Chelsea:

“He writes different stuff, especially on Facebook. It’s not the first time he’s [done something like this],” Anel told Kvällsposten.

“He was at it too when I played at Nottingham Forest, he wrote in some forums there and it has always affected me negatively. I’ve always been criticised for that".

He would have met his match on here.

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

Come and have a go if you think you're hard enough,  Mr Anal !!👊👊

3 hours ago, Gordon Ottershaw said:

I can't imagine that the new Coach, his staff and the DOF will be at the club for long if that is the case.

I think you’re right here. What’s the point of hiring a DoF who isn’t allowed to spend money? I think JDL’s relative lack of experience will work in the Club’s favour as this has probably been sold to him as an opportunity to get his name out there and build some recognition in the UK with the potential for a move to a bigger club. Just depends on how long he’ll put up with the shambles that is Blackburn Rovers these days. 

6 minutes ago, Realistic Rover said:

Sharpe reported that Ash Phillips would sign a long term contract on July 1st… What’s happening there?

I thought it was part of the deal he signed last year, as a scholar, that automatically kicked into a professional one this summer. Can't remember the length of the deal but was just stated as long term or something?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Realistic Rover said:

Sharpe reported that Ash Phillips would sign a long term contract on July 1st… What’s happening there?

It'll have happened. It's just that Sharpe is on his holiday and the new guy at Lancs Live knows less than I do about what's going on at the club.

Which also begs the question - why did Sharpe drop a transfer grenade last week mid holiday? Should've kept his mouth shut

Edited by Ruaney

14 minutes ago, Ruaney said:

It'll have happened. It's just that Sharpe is on his holiday and the new guy at Lancs Live knows less than I do about what's going on at the club.

Which also begs the question - why did Sharpe drop a transfer grenade last week mid holiday? Should've kept his mouth shut

In fairness to Sharpe he said signings would be made this week, never said anything about it being Monday or Tuesday when we would see some new signings

3 hours ago, Miller11 said:

Which is exactly what happened with Lenihan on our existing wage structure apparently. Wanting “Ayala money” is the phrase someone used.

I’ve not seen anyone advocating smashing through any wage cap, but the current structure punishes loyalty and undervalues academy graduates. It’s not fit for purpose.

I listened to Mark Atkins the other week talking about how when Shearer came in he was on 10 times the wages of most of the rest of the players, and none of them begrudged it. I think the whole “keeping the group happy” is a load of nonsense… players get paid varying amounts and ideally their wage should be commensurate with their contribution. Underpaying everyone isn’t a solution. 

I was just reading in my paper today an interview with Harry Pinner who was a great loose forward with St Helens. The interviewer asked him about when Saints signed Mal Meninga who was a really top Aussie centre, possibly No1 in the world at the time - “ There was animosity but not from me. I knew how good he was. As captain, I told the other players he’d make us money “.

That’s the attitude you need in the camp.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, islander200 said:

In fairness to Sharpe he said signings would be made this week, never said anything about it being Monday or Tuesday when we would see some new signings

I think someone at the club will have leaked that out to him to make it look like things are happening.

As predicted at the time, by the end of the week/early next week the narrative will change to "we had a couple that we couldnt get over the line for various reasons etc etc" "but we're hoping to do some deals soon".

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, islander200 said:

That's true! Are you confident then?

Usually would've heard at least murmurs about something if likely to be in the next day or so

Pity the fools who seriously thought we'd pay 3 million for this player anyway.

Stop allowing yourselves to be still fed the same line of tripe as when Mowbray was here. 'Oh we are in for x,y,z at million this 30 grand a week that'.

These things are never happening and never ever were.

Rovers go straight to the C lists the others are just for the shop window.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Ruaney said:

That's true! Are you confident then?

Usually would've heard at least murmurs about something if likely to be in the next day or so

Never confident with regards to how quick we get transfers over the line since the Venkys turned up.

Do think JDT would have been given some assurances over transfers to get him here though.He will know 6/7 regulars from last season won't be with us anymore, and just don't think he would have chosen to come here if he had to be reliant on the free transfer/loan Market,he had other offers 

13 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Never confident with regards to how quick we get transfers over the line since the Venkys turned up.

Do think JDT would have been given some assurances over transfers to get him here though.He will know 6/7 regulars from last season won't be with us anymore, and just don't think he would have chosen to come here if he had to be reliant on the free transfer/loan Market,he had other offers 

I pretty much agree with you. Just hope Venkys/ Waggot haven't stitched them up with false promises etc