BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

5 hours ago, Andy said:

Be interesting to see who the new Chief Scout will be, and what his background is.

I'm interested to see who it is

3 hours ago, Torgeir said:

Why are we hiring a chief scout now? Park was gone once they knew Mowbray would go, and that’s months ago now. 

John Park has only left last week. He met Gregg Broughton and Jon Dahl Tomasson a couple of weeks. 

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Quality is important but it is much better to get at least some in with time to integrate in pre-season. The window closes 7 games in so we cannot wait until then for example either, we need to get at least some in ASAP

quality signings is what we need despite how long it takes to sign them. 

5 hours ago, Andy said:

Hughes was the perfect example of having the right scouting and coaching staff around him - and look how it paid off.

Be interesting to see who the new Chief Scout will be, and what his background is.

I'll also be keeping an eye out for how Hughes goes on with Bradford City this season. I know they're 2 Divisions below us; but he seems to have had a real clearout at whatever Valley Parade's called these days. If memory serves, he's recruited Harry Chapman - be interesting to see how many first team games he gets & Ritchie Smallwood.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bluebruce said:

That's fine if that's how you choose to view things. I'm not sure why you expend so much time and energy on castigating people who choose to view it differently though. Adopting a stance of realism based on recent history is perfectly reasonable.

I wonder how much of your emotional gains are outweighed by lamenting the thought processes of your fellow fans (and perhaps the disappointment when what you decided to expect to happen invariably doesn't). That said, this summer there is a bit more room for hope than most, with the new team. You'll note that I, who am often critical of what we do, am advocating patience in this early stage of the window. It's because I think it makes sense, not because of a positive or negative mindset.

I very rarely lament any negativity these days. I only replied to a poster who mentioned my mindset. 99% of the time I just provide my opinion.

But you advocating patience and your thought process around it absolutely is a mindset. You have the same / similar information to everyone else but you’re rationalising what’s happening whilst others literally lose their shit with each passing hour. I’ll bet that come the end of the window, if things have gone badly, you’ll feel annoyed and disappointed before quickly rationalising what’s happened and maybe saying “I’ll give it to Christmas”, right!? That’s mindset and it’s a choice once. One that no doubt serves you well in life. 

I did say it'd be a slow news week with Sharpe being on holiday.....

There could be 2 signings set to be unveiled today and we'd be none the wiser.

That halfwit at lancs live most certainly can't be trusted as a source of info!

I will admittedly be worried if there's nothing done before the Stanley game though... 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Invariably I am underwhelmed, yes. But I make the choice to live in hope because it means I can live the next four weeks happily rather than bitter about something I have no ability to effect.

The points I made about no head of recruitment, a new manager and a DoF who’s never lived outside of youth football are fact, as is our small budget. So I see no point in driving myself insane because we’re not signing players like Burnley or keeping up with West Brom or Sheff United.

I choose to be hopeful that we can find some rough diamonds and blood some more of our youngsters and then maybe have a little splurge at the end of the window if we sell Brereton.

Its not In my nature to whinge…im grateful for what i have and only worry about stuff that’s within my control. If I can’t fix it, it’s not my problem.

You seem to associate negative/positive comments on a message board as some kind of life choice.  

I'm as content/happy  and chilled out with my life as can be.  Having an often  'negative' outlook on a message board, in no way effects any of my other life choices or enjoyment.  I don't log out then, stew for hours...

It's simply an opinion, made in a moment of time - on the circumstance of Blackburn Rovers - and one that rarely leads to any disappointment under this regime😂.

• Like 8

8 hours ago, broadsword said:

Well no, he isn't likely to be gone when he realises how hacked off and pessimistic some of our fan base are. Let's not be melodramatic here. I don't think football fans are renowned for their sunny dispositions. Especially so at a club like ours where the owners are billionaires, but there doesn't seem to be the wherewithal to keep the ground in good nick, there's been a parade of time servers through the club for the last decade or more and add the club stagnates, the only people to have done on out of it appears to be the agents. 

So yeah, I'm pessimistic. Although my post was tongue in cheek, it belies a weary resignation that had become my coping mechanism over twelve very long years. Of course, I how we get promoted and things start to improve, but that's just how talking, you can't live off hope. 

Conversely some people would welcome venkys back with open arms and consider Mowbray to be some sort of legendary messiah, who should have a statue erected in his honour. I don't get that attitude at all, but hey, it's all part of life's rich pageant

I can't argue with most of your post, you make some valid points. What I do have an issue with is some on here 'liking ' posts which state a manager we all seem to be hoping might be the start of something better will be gone by Christmas when, in effect, he's only just got here.

I still don't get that and don't think I ever will. It suggests cynicism is their default position and I find that both sad and probably unhealthy.

11 hours ago, Hasta said:

15% of the season happens before the transfer window ends. 

Id rather get business done as early as possible to have the strongest squad for the full 100%

Your mistake there was using a very small amount of brain power to come up with a logical approach. 

The people who run this club lack said brain power. 

• Like 4

I consider myself to be quite a level-headed person when it comes to football (which is, paradoxically, unlike the rest of my life where I tend to be quite an anxious person) but the lack of activity in any guise since the end of last season is giving me that anxious feeling in my gut.

We are 24 days away from kick-off and the squad is depleted, lacking depth and even the 'First XI (if we could call it that) is of a sub-standard.

Transfer dealings really do need to kick off pronto. Before we know it we could be 10 games in and still without any signings of note and find ourselves right in the thick of a big pile plop.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

What I would say is, TM was happy enough to have a steady Championship job, just rolling with it in the bizarre world of Venky’s, the convoluted structure, the middle men, whilst telling all and sundry how great the owners were - all just a buttering up exercise, as we saw when the toys, and truth, came out at the end.

I don’t see a young, ambitious manager like JDT having the patience for it. So the club has to have actually changed, not just window dressing. I’ve seen 12 years of this, so I’ve seen these re-sets, new dawns, supposed new structures before, and I’m not convinced that fundamentally anything has, or indeed can, change with these owners.

I hope I’m wrong as boy does this club need a rocket up it, and I’d love JDT to be the man to ignite it all, but my doubts still remain that the football people at the club will be given the tools to succede in a highly competitive division, if that’s ‘negative’, then so be it!

I guess one possibility is that JDT and Broughton want to do an ultra homegrown strategy and that's what they've signed up for.

Feels that's possibly Broughton's outlook, but JDT strikes me as wanting short term impact.

• Like 1

Maybe it is, we’ll soon find out.  It’s the owners’ club, they can pursue what they want.

But then need to stop all this silly talk about being a ‘sustainable Premier League club’, as that ain’t happening with a team of young lads.

9 hours ago, Torgeir said:

Tobias Gulliksen at Strømsgodset is a good prospect coming out of Norway.  Turns 19 in a few days. ‘Godset are a selling club and Rovers would be a good next platform. Can play across midfield. 

Only earns 6 points on the work permit calculator. Nowhere near enough, wouldn't be possible.

12 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Maybe it is, we’ll soon find out.  It’s the owners’ club, they can pursue what they want.

But then need to stop all this silly talk about being a ‘sustainable Premier League club’, as that ain’t happening with a team of young lads.

You’re an intelligent guy, you know there’s more to it than that. The model is based on our budget. We can’t spend money we’re not generating with FFP looming and so the only way to compete is to focus on bringing top youth players through with cheap, rough diamonds from the lower / European leagues, developing them and then generating say £40m a season and reinvesting 50%, similar to the Brentford model which the club have referenced many times.

Do you expect them to come out and say “we’ve got a £16m budget vs £70-100m from those with parachute payments so we’ve just decided we can’t go up!”

The very best we can hope for is to be a sustainable Premier League club and that is the clubs goal. 

Just now, Ruaney said:

Do we think Sharpe was tweeting about Anel from his sun lounger?

Feel like it was very premature if he was. We were never competing with Sheff U financially and the whole world knew they were in for him.

So you think Sharpe got premature tweeting about Anel on holiday? I hope nobody noticed and he got himself cleaned up.

4 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

So you think Sharpe got premature tweeting about Anel on holiday? I hope nobody noticed and he got himself cleaned up.

HAHA. Well, he was on the sun lounger so you have to hope he was lathered up in sun cream so nobody noticed

30 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

I guess one possibility is that JDT and Broughton want to do an ultra homegrown strategy and that's what they've signed up for.

Feels that's possibly Broughton's outlook, but JDT strikes me as wanting short term impact.

This i feel is what they've signed up for and that's why having got their names on 2 or 3 year contracts there'll be no toys out the pram if we do nothing in this window.

It's a risky strategy by the club/ownership/middlemen or whoever really runs it but its always been on the cards. Last season gave them a green light to go a step further but they obviously realized old Tone didn't have the stomach for it.

50 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

I think most clubs will go a similar route with having more subs available. You can certainly give players minutes, without having to jeopardise the overall starting team. If we're two or three up give some kids a chance. Hopefully we unearth some gems along the way. I wouldn't think JDT and GB would only go this route though. They must of been given assurances before taking the job. I just hope we can get some deals done to calm us all down. 

21 minutes ago, tomphil said:

This i feel is what they've signed up for and that's why having got their names on 2 or 3 year contracts there'll be no toys out the pram if we do nothing in this window.

It's a risky strategy by the club/ownership/middlemen or whoever really runs it but its always been on the cards. Last season gave them a green light to go a step further but they obviously realized old Tone didn't have the stomach for it.

Or the managerial ability.