BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

Once again the wait is on for other clubs to take the pick of the free agents and loan signings before Rovers trawl through what's left to cobble together a squad.

Almost worked last year, but now we've lost three starters and as far as I can tell we were sort of linked with the centre-half that ended up at Sheff Utd just because JDT used to be his manager at Malmo, and there's a teenager we might get on loan from Villa.  Hard to see an upside here 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

It’s interesting how things change. I’d been led to believe we had a squad so brimming talent that it was only the unique ineptitude of Mowbray that stopped us winning promotion at a canter. Now it appears that we were entirely dependent on Rothwell’s 3 goals, Nyambe stopping the occasional breakaway and a career Championship-level defender in avoiding certain relegation.

Personally, I think the outcome will be somewhere in-between.

Nice strawman.

All three were good Championship quality players. We've also had five PL loanees walk out the door (of varying quality). By some accounts we were paying Poveda's full wage while he was here - god knows what we were paying the rest, in addition to any loan fees. 

When you add Davenport (I've always been a fan, horribly mismanaged by Mowbray) and Johnson to that list, that's ten senior pros missing from the side that bottled finishing in the Playoffs last year. Those ten will have combined for a massive portion of the wage bill. 

That's huge, any way you slice it.

54 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

You seem to have been particularly stung by Mulgrew and Johnson but there are examples both here and elsewhere of experienced players really helping teams. All the promoted teams had experience, more than we have. You also make out as if an experienced player like Hourihane would automatically be a financial burden yet also say that he went to Derby on not much.

I think we need around 8 or 9 yes, I never said that I think we will or indeed that we could afford 9. Sub keeper as Pears is not capable back up and could do with getting football elsewhere. A right  back, a centre back and another defender to provide some competition/back up. A couple of midfielders, a left winger and a striker or 2. I see genuine gaps in the squad, none of them are "for the sake of it." Why that extra 2 or 3 couldnt be loans/freebies and why it becomes 9 Akpans seems like hyperbole to me.

Anyway, anything isnt about asset generating and the long term. Successful teams tend to have some experience and for me especially after a couple of the players we have lost, we dont have enough. Fair enough if you would be against adding experience.

He wouldnt have been the most exciting but I would have taken him to add competition. A good technical player with good experience at the top end of the division.

We don't need 8 or 9 signings.Trying to stretch our budget to that many players we will be signing dross.

4 permanent signing and a couple of loans.Dack fit to play a bigger part, Markanday fit  and Hedges who did ok in his last couple of games weren't available for us the majority of the last season.

If you read my first reply to you I said I would like experience but they have to be able to contribute for the length of their contract and plenty of players 27/28 have experience.

More often than not signing past it players has done f all for us.

8k a week is still money that could be used elsewhere rather than bringing in Hourihane who is finished at this level.

The chances of us getting promoted next season are slim to none so build for the next season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

He wouldnt have been the most exciting but I would have taken him to add competition. A good technical player with good experience at the top end of the division.

I rather we went for someone like Cameron Brannagan or Callum Styles. Who we develop and improve. 

16 minutes ago, Upside Down said:

How many more pages before a signing is announced?

I’d take rumoured at this point, strange that there’s not even a sniff of interest anywhere! Fingers crossed we see some movement today 

• Like 1

Just now, Jaybes said:

I’d take rumoured at this point, strange that there’s not even a sniff of interest anywhere! Fingers crossed we see some movement today 

I can understand that the new management team have only been here a couple of weeks so I'm not overly shocked that we haven't had a whiff of anything yet.

On the other hand, the club knew that dick head Mowbray was finished at the end of the season so why didn't they sort out this situation sooner?

Let me guess, that would have taken brain power and effort. Neither of these are qualities that the people running this club possess

• Like 1

As expected lots of excuses, finger pointing, sob stories, FFP, money, we can't compete, we've changed manager etc. etc.

None of it matters.

All that matters is having a squad good enough. It isn't at the moment.

We won't get points for excuses.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

Looking forward to all these better players we are getting 

After all I've read frequently about how Nyambe, Lenihan, Rothwell, Khadra aren't that good and how we can do better.

So let's see.

Rival clubs expecting promotion this season clearly think it is worth paying their 'unrealistic' wages to take them off our hands.

Personally I'm disgusted by the situation. I'm asking why we bother if we are little more than a place for clubs to send their loans and so we can develop players for Middlesbrough's benefit.

Those 4 players you mention aren't irreplaceable. We will sign players of similar ability or even better. 

22 minutes ago, neophox said:

We have only been linked in the press with Anel... he choose money...

everything seems kept under wraps.

We been linked with Todd Cantwell 

30 minutes ago, neophox said:

Massive work for GB as clown SW hasnt done his work. Hopefully even SW leaves soon.

The demise of the club will not be due to the players or the fans, it will be the total incompetence of the management upwards. Never mind the maggot to leave .... the entire boardroom needs to leave.

However, im still holding faith in JDT and GB to do there best

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Those 4 players you mention aren't irreplaceable. We will sign players of similar ability or even better. 

I didn't say they were irreplaceable.

But replacing them with as good or better with minimal money is going to be nigh on impossible.

As pointed out during the contract saga, if we couldn't pay Lenihan and Nyambe what they wanted how are we going to pay as good if not better?

And if it was so easy to do better for less cost then why aren't Middlesbrough doing that and saving themselves a heap of money?

We've been had. Hook line and sinker. And my alarm bells are ringing as to the involvement of our former manager in this saga.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Upside Down said:

How many more pages before a signing is announced?

I'm looking forward to Sharpe's update after annual leave. "For one reason or another, Rovers couldn't quite get players over the line before the Accy game, but the expectation is there will be new bodies in before Dundee."

Rinse and repeat.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

After all I've read frequently about how Nyambe, Lenihan, Rothwell, Khadra aren't that good and how we can do better.

Ye makes you wonder why Wilder is bothering with Nyambe when he can go get any old League 1 full back instead, ten a penny according to some on here...🤔

• Like 6

• Moderation Lead
11 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

We been linked with Todd Cantwell 

If we can’t afford the wages of Nyambe and Lenihan, we definitely won’t be able to afford Cantwell. Unless Norwich are feeling incredibly philanthropic of course!

• Like 4