BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

42 minutes ago, smiller14 said:

Hirst looks a strange, strange buy. My Pompey mate wasn't convinced by him in a league below and his brief cameos haven't inspired much confidence. Even the penalty was taken like someone who isn't a goalscorer. He has time to prove us wrong but he doesn't seem like a player who is going to offer much. 

Your Pompey mate wasn't convinced by Hirst despite him scoring 15 goals for them in 46 games and being Pompey top scorer. Wow. 

9 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Your Pompey mate wasn't convinced by Hirst despite him scoring 15 goals for them in 46 games and being Pompey top scorer. Wow. 

He wasn't convinced he would be good enough for the Championship. 15 goals in 46 games in League One isn't 'wow' worthy. They've kicked on without him this year and he was critical of many of his performances.

I hope he does well, but he was surprised a team at our level supposedly aiming for promotion would be targeting him, as he was confident Pompey could comfortably replace him. And so far, he's been proved right with Pompey flying high in the league. I hope he proves me/him wrong!

Edited by smiller14
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, J*B said:

I thought Szmodics was absolutely terrible last night. We’ve got big problems in midfield because they’re all what I would call ‘new breed’, apart from Travis. They like to play football, dictate play, control the tempo, move between the lines. All the cliches. But history shows that in this league you need someone capable of physically dominating the middle of the pitch. 

Crying out for a Bradley Johnson circa 2013/14 in there. 

10 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Crying out for a Bradley Johnson circa 2013/14 in there. 

It’s entirely predictable as well. They’re desperate for someone to bring on in the 60th minute and make sure we don’t lose. We’ll lose the derby in midfield, mark my words. 

Of the permanent signings I think the defensive signings of Hyam and Brittain are looking good buys. Less so on Szmodic who just looks totally lost in most the performances I have witnessed so far.

I wouldnt at this stage be offering any money for Hirst either who looks way short of match fitness.

Morton has been ok but would rather see Wharton or Buckley developing in there who seem to be on a par with him talent wise.

• Like 2

If Hirst was first choice than I really don't see what the experts have over on fans. 

Maybe he'll come good in 3 plus years, it happened with Bereton. Even less so than then though we don't really have time to wait that long for someone to come good. 

As for being able to strengthen in Jan and not doing - my word was TM deliberately trying to not get us promoted?

19 hours ago, roverblue said:

Of the permanent signings I think the defensive signings of Hyam and Brittain are looking good buys. Less so on Szmodic who just looks totally lost in most the performances I have witnessed so far.

I wouldnt at this stage be offering any money for Hirst either who looks way short of match fitness.

Morton has been ok but would rather see Wharton or Buckley developing in there who seem to be on a par with him talent wise.

Agree with most of this but I'd say Morton is a huge step up on 22-23 season Buckley. I still can't get over his performance the other night - first opportunity in weeks which should act as a rocket up the arse and he plays like that. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, J*B said:

I thought Szmodics was absolutely terrible last night. We’ve got big problems in midfield because they’re all what I would call ‘new breed’, apart from Travis. They like to play football, dictate play, control the tempo, move between the lines. All the cliches. But history shows that in this league you need someone capable of physically dominating the middle of the pitch. 

They’ll all bit part players. They can all run a bit, tackle a bit, pass it a bit, head it a bit but they don’t have what it takes to dominate the midfield.

3 hours ago, Blue blood said:

If Hirst was first choice than I really don't see what the experts have over on fans. 

Maybe he'll come good in 3 plus years, it happened with Bereton. Even less so than then though we don't really have time to wait that long for someone to come good. 

As for being able to strengthen in Jan and not doing - my word was TM deliberately trying to not get us promoted?

Rovers would have extensive scouting him, use data analysis to assess the player. Plus, JDT wanted him and was Rovers first choice target. We don't sign players off the cuff, we do properly research, scouting, data analysis, etc before signing players. It is extensive process into coming up with player shortlist and full-time job for the recruitment and data analysis people at Rovers

1 hour ago, Displaced Rover said:

Can we send Hirst back? Feel like we've seen enough, I'd rather we focus on developing our own players like Vale and Markanday.

Penalty miss aside, he's shown nothing to suggest he's remotely close to Championship quality.

Why not allow him to get match fit when he isn't at the minute and then judge him. 

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Rovers would have extensive scouting him, use data analysis to assess the player. Plus, JDT wanted him and was Rovers first choice target. We don't sign players off the cuff, we do properly research, scouting, data analysis, etc before signing players. It is extensive process into coming up with player shortlist and full-time job for the recruitment and data analysis people at Rovers

Why not allow him to get match fit when he isn't at the minute and then judge him. 

How you can be so sure based only words is a different story, but basically teams will do the above yet I can guarantee that across the tenures of the current staff, there will be some shit signings made too, doing that research doesn't mean that a player will come in and do well.

8 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

How you can be so sure based only words is a different story, but basically teams will do the above yet I can guarantee that across the tenures of the current staff, there will be some shit signings made too, doing that research doesn't mean that a player will come in and do well.

Very true but that's how Blackburn Rovers work when signing players and that how we do it. 

4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Ok, I'll rephrase my comments: If with all of that research they've decided that Hirst is who they want as first choice then I'd question their competence and judgement! 

No signing is a guaranteed success or fail and there's still time to pull it round.  However on what I have seen, and his past history, Hirst doesn't seem at all good enough to improve our forward line. I think the experts have made a bad call. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Blue blood said:

Ok, I'll rephrase my comments: If with all of that research they've decided that Hirst is who they want as first choice then I'd question their competence and judgement! 

No signing is a guaranteed success or fail and there's still time to pull it round.  However on what I have seen, and his past history, Hirst doesn't seem at all good enough to improve our forward line. I think the experts have made a bad call. 

Hirst has only played 150 mins over 5 games so far and I'm very surprised by how quickly people have jump on him with the criticism. We know he wasn't fit when he joined, and he is building that up. 

I think we need to give him time and get behind him cos I think there is a good player in him 

20 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Hirst has only played 150 mins over 5 games so far and I'm very surprised by how quickly people have jump on him with the criticism. We know he wasn't fit when he joined, and he is building that up. 

I think we need to give him time and get behind him cos I think there is a good player in him 

Equally, how have you reached such a conclusion based on those aforementioned 150 minutes over 5 games? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Chaddy please can we differentiate between getting behind someone and providing honest criticism? 

I'd love for him to prove me wrong and score 30 goals en route to promotion. I'm behind the lad. 

Objectively saying I think he isn't very good has nothing to do with my intent or support for him, and is an appraisal of his ability. And both his record to date and his performances for us warrant such an appraisal. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Equally, how have you reached such a conclusion based on those aforementioned 150 minutes over 5 games? 

My opinions are based on what I have seen so far and what I watched of him in clips. He can finish, I think when he gets match fit and how we want him to play you will see his quality. In his first game he made one very run and I like his movement he made. 

29 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Chaddy please can we differentiate between getting behind someone and providing honest criticism? 

I'd love for him to prove me wrong and score 30 goals en route to promotion. I'm behind the lad. 

Objectively saying I think he isn't very good has nothing to do with my intent or support for him, and is an appraisal of his ability. And both his record to date and his performances for us warrant such an appraisal. 

Fair enough, I do think that the criticism is similar unwarranted at this stage given he hasn't even completed 2 full games in minutes so far and reminds of when Brereton-Diaz joined, and we witnessed the criticism he got then. So, we have agreed to disagree on this. 

I accept you point about your support for him. I wasn't saying you didn't support him when he has Rovers shirt on so my apologies there if you thought I was saying you didn't. I think after Tuesday missed penalty, I think the best thing would be start him and let him get back out there straight away and get a goal or 2 against Rotherham

Seems hypocritical to dismiss people who doubt him due to a lack of game time, only to then praise the player based on that same limited game time, although throwing in watching youtube compilations of his best bits which surely only further distort opinion. 

Would make more sense to be either of the opinion that all players should not be judged until x, including the more successful signings, or alternatively allow both, not picking and choosing which approach based on what makes the players look better.

• Like 1