BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

I'm not convinced assurances mean a right lot in football as anybody can promise or agree to anything.  Only to leave it hanging and offer a few excuses or go back on it completely and just say plans have had to change.

Aside from anything contractual it's all always a bit up in the air in regards to assurances. I think we can also gather from experience Vs and co are good at telling people what they want to hear.

Also very very good at staying silent soon afterwards.

Burnley now up to signing number 5 for the summer; Samuel Bastien from Standard Liege.  Kompany getting their business done quickly.  Yes, they're losing players, but they've identified their targets and got them in, quick sharp.  Meanwhile, just before 3pm our Twitter team were eagerly counting down the minutes until our new kit was formally on sale in the club shop ☠️

Trying not to get impatient/worried at this point.  Come on Rovers, time is ticking!

• Like 3

Burnley are aiming to go straight back up with a squad or largely Prem players.

Rovers are aiming to get through another season of developing our own players whilst keeping our heads above water.

It's not ideal it's not the way i'd have it but it is the way it is.

Balls to Burnley.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, tomphil said:

I'm not convinced assurances mean a right lot in football as anybody can promise or agree to anything.  Only to leave it hanging and offer a few excuses or go back on it completely and just say plans have had to change.

Aside from anything contractual it's all always a bit up in the air in regards to assurances. I think we can also gather from experience Vs and co are good at telling people what they want to hear.

Also very very good at staying silent soon afterwards.

A young ambitious manager like JDT won't stand for that though.If he isn't given funds to replace what we lost from the first team last season he will be off imo.

That shit might work with the likes of Mowbray , Coyle etc who were desperate to get back into the game and in the last chance saloon but not for a guy like JDT who left a comfortable job at Malmö and turned down a team in the champions league and one of the bigger teams in their domestic league to come here.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, islander200 said:

A young ambitious manager like JDT won't stand for that though.If he isn't given funds to replace what we lost from the first team last season he will be off imo.

That shit might work with the likes of Mowbray , Coyle etc who were desperate to get back into the game and in the last chance saloon but not for a guy like JDT who left a comfortable job at Malmö and turned down a team in the champions league and one of the bigger teams in their domestic league to come here.

JDT did not leave Malmo to come here.

11 minutes ago, rigger said:

JDT did not leave Malmo to come here.

I know but he left there for a new challenge, I doubt it was his dream to come to a team that needs 6/7 first team players and can only use the academy, free transfers or loans to replace them.

My point was in mentioning Malmo, he left a comfortable job to further his ambitions he would have obviously wanted some sort of guarantee over finance, the club ambition etc when choosing his next job. 

Could have gone to Zurich, champions league football and challenging for the title domestically 

Edited by islander200
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, islander200 said:

I know but he left there for a new challenge, I doubt it was his dream to come to a team that needs 6/7 first team players and can only use the academy, free transfers or loans to replace them.

My point was in mentioning Malmo, he left a comfortable job to further his ambitions he would have obviously wanted some sort of guarantee over finance, the club ambition etc when choosing his next job. 

Could have gone to Zurich, champions league football and challenging for the title domestically 

And live in Zurich.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Gav said:

Paul Lambert was made promises by the owners on financial backing, they reneged of those promises almost immediately and Lambert walked. 

I have no doubt in my mind JDT was given assurances on transfer funds, if not why would he come here?

I just hope those assurances are being stick to, or we'll see him move away from Ewood rather sharpish in my opinion and it won't be on our terms.

This is exactly what I fear. Too early to judge , but the signs are that the wheels are turning as slowly as ever. Broughton and JDT might now be realising what they’ve let themselves in for.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, martonrover said:

This is exactly what I fear. Too early to judge , but the signs are that the wheels are turning as slowly as ever. Broughton and JDT might now be realising what they’ve let themselves in for.

It was Broughton himself who said they would be taking some time to assess what we have internally before moving into the market and presumably that's why he travelled to Portugal with the squad.

Fingers crossed we start to see some movement over the next week

• Like 1

Has Tomasson actually said anything about budgets or recruitment? Not that I can recall.

It was Broughton who spoke about this straight after his arrival. 'Good budget' can of course mean a whole range of things.

3 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Has Tomasson actually said anything about budgets or recruitment? Not that I can recall.

It was Broughton who spoke about this straight after his arrival. 'Good budget' can of course mean a whole range of things.

Broughton also said he'd mention about Nyambe and never did

Just caught this programme called "Transfer Centre" on Sky Sports News, anyone got any idea what that's about?

57 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Burnley are aiming to go straight back up with a squad or largely Prem players.

Rovers are aiming to get through another season of developing our own players whilst keeping our heads above water.

Screenshot_20220705-172840_Samsung Internet.jpg

14 minutes ago, islander200 said:

It was Broughton himself who said they would be taking some time to assess what we have internally before moving into the market and presumably that's why he travelled to Portugal with the squad.

Fingers crossed we start to see some movement over the next week

Club will miss out on start of seaon preperation. Transfer window ends thursday 1st Sept 2022. By that date we will have played 13 games, 7 of which are Championship league games. Any players coming in next week will miss Accy Stanley and possibly Dundee & Celtic in preparation for new season.

3 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Hourihane going to Derby.  Another decent player!

Understand he was shown around Brockhall before the squad left for Portugal.

Are we now unable to compete with Derby?

8 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I can't recall him mentioning it either but why would he come here without any money to spend?

He surely doesn't want his managerial career to die a death and I'm sure he would have done his research and will have known how many from last year's squad have departed.

A Coyle ,A Mowbray managers like that were desperate to get back in and would agree to working under those conditions.Why would a young manager like Tomosson when he had other offers?

8 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Understand he was shown around Brockhall before the squad left for Portugal.

Are we now unable to compete with Derby?

Derby can only pay their new signings a maximum of 8k per week.

It was your understanding that Ferguson would be the new gaffer.

Stop trying to create a frenzy with an  unsubstantiated rumour that Hourihane turned us down for Derby County.

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, JHRover said:

This is minor, but you keep saying it. You quote 'good budget' but the only quote I've seen is 'healthy budget'. Not sure if he has also said good budget.

I like Tomasson and what he has had to say since he arrived but I think we need to remember where he has come from. He was unemployed for 6 months prior to coming here and whilst he was managing a relatively big side at Malmo and won a couple of titles it isn't exactly the sort of resume that gets pulses racing.

I'm yet to come across a manager who doesn't claim to have had other offers whilst unemployed. Not saying he is lying but he's hardly going to say the phone was dead for the last 6 months is he?

Besides if the offers were coming from clubs outside the power leagues of England, Spain, France, Germany and Italy it is likely that their budgets will have been small compared even to ours.

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, bluebruce said:

This is minor, but you keep saying it. You quote 'good budget' but the only quote I've seen is 'healthy budget'. Not sure if he has also said good budget.

Sorry that might be my memory and you might be right it was 'healthy budget'.

Either way, it could mean an array of things. Healthy compared to the shoestring Bodo Glimt were operating with almost certainly. But healthy by the standards of the Championship?

Derby will be in the PL before we are. Another like Wigan, Blackpool, Bolton used as a convenient example of what we would be if Venkys left but will ultimately rebound and rebuild whilst this club withers on the vine.

• Like 6