BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

6 hours ago, broadsword said:

I'll be surprised if he's still here after March.

6 hours ago, Upside Down said:

I'll be surprised if he's still here at Christmas. 

I don't understand some of you people - seeming to enjoying the thought of everything coming crashing down & JDT feckin off. Closely followed by the usual suspects 'liking' said posts. I don't get it... 

He's just as likely to be gone when he realises how miserable & fatalistic some of the fan base are.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Ghost7 said:

Any way we can get a message across to the club that the season starts in 4 weeks?

They all know this but I'm sure Rovers are working on bringing in the right signings

13 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Has Tomasson actually said anything about budgets or recruitment? Not that I can recall.

It was Broughton who spoke about this straight after his arrival. 'Good budget' can of course mean a whole range of things.

5 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I like Tomasson and what he has had to say since he arrived but I think we need to remember where he has come from. He was unemployed for 6 months prior to coming here and whilst he was managing a relatively big side at Malmo and won a couple of titles it isn't exactly the sort of resume that gets pulses racing.

I'm yet to come across a manager who doesn't claim to have had other offers whilst unemployed. Not saying he is lying but he's hardly going to say the phone was dead for the last 6 months is he?

Besides if the offers were coming from clubs outside the power leagues of England, Spain, France, Germany and Italy it is likely that their budgets will have been small compared even to ours.

Yeah but coming to a team that finished 8th in the previous season, and has lost 6 of its strongest players and if the budget only allows  loans ,frees and academy to replace them then JDT would have been utterly daft to sign a contract here.

He had a contract offer on the table from FC Zurich, yeah not a powerhouse league but they are in champs league and will be one of the top teams domestically.

Why turn that down in preference for a team in the championship who have no money for signings and without it won't go anywhere near 8th next season?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Derby will be in the PL before we are. Another like Wigan, Blackpool, Bolton used as a convenient example of what we would be if Venkys left but will ultimately rebound and rebuild whilst this club withers on the vine.

Derby will be In the premier league before we are?

Didn't work when Morris tried to buy promotion.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Derby can only pay their new signings a maximum of 8k per week.

And we choose to offer established first teamers less than this so they walk away.

As it stands we probably only have 4 players on over 8k per week.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

They all know this but I'm sure Rovers are working on bringing in the right signings

Why have you put a link to Broughton's interview? I asked if Tomasson had said anything about this supposedly healthy budget he has. His comments there in that interview don't seem to suggest so.

4 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Sorry that might be my memory and you might be right it was 'healthy budget'.

Either way, it could mean an array of things. Healthy compared to the shoestring Bodo Glimt were operating with almost certainly. But healthy by the standards of the Championship?

I feel like healthy isn't quite as strong a statement as a good budget. It speaks more to it being sufficient to make alright signings than impressive. Of course, he was never going to say it was shit if it is. It would also be stupid to say we have tons to spend as we would get our pants pulled down. Lack of early activity suggests we don't though.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Healthy compared to the shoestring Bodo Glimt were operating with almost certainly. But healthy by the standards of the Championship?

On this point, I believe Glimt did have decent finance after their success, having sold some players for good money. So he might not be as easily impressed as you think. Plus he was at Norwich previously so is aware of the larger budgets in England.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

And we choose to offer established first teamers less than this so they walk away.

As it stands we probably only have 4 players on over 8k per week.

Yeah but we also overpaid our players for years. 

Venkys can be blamed for a lot of things but their reluctance to pay bigger wages is something I can understand a little.

How many players have been given long contracts here on the managers recommendation (not just Mowbray)for them to either contribute very little or we have ended up paying off their contracts?Many Many millions wasted .

I know you have said otherwise and not saying you are definitely wrong but from what I heard Darragh Lenihen was offered a deal that would have made him the best paid player at the club, but his mind was made up and wanted to join Wilder at Boro.

And last season you said about players that came through the academy not being offered deals in line with their contribution to the first team.

That may have been true but something must have changed with Travis committing to a long term deal.He would have got interest elsewhere if he wanted to leave.

Edited by islander200

Just now, davulsukur said:

We desperately need to get a couple of signings over the line here. Just settle is all down a bit.

The fans do, at least on this board. But the more important thing is we sign the right players for all the positions we need and don't overpay too much. It would be ideal to get them in now, but I'd rather sign quality next week than shite this week. Time is approaching being sensitive but it's not there just yet. The club shouldn't rush signings just to ease the anxieties of fans. But if we are two weeks from now and nobody or only say one player in the door, it's going to start to impact our preparations.

• Like 5

Why have you put a link to Broughton's interview?

To show what he exactly said

I asked if Tomasson had said anything about this supposedly healthy budget he has. His comments there in that interview don't seem to suggest so.

Tomasson is the Head coach so he wouldn't get involved in budget or finances. That's not his role but Gregg Broughton role. He will focus on that side. 

JDT will have the final say on players coming in which is right

4 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Yeah but we also overpaid our players for years. 

Venkys can be blamed for a lot of things but their reluctance to pay bigger wages is something I can understand a little.

How many players have been given long contracts here on the managers recommendation (not just Mowbray)for them to either contribute very little or we have ended up paying off their contracts?Many Many millions wasted .

I know you have said otherwise and not saying you are definitely wrong but from what I heard Darragh Lenihen was offered a deal that would have made him the best paid player at the club, but his mind was made up and wanted to join Wilder at Boro.

And last season you said about players that came through the academy not being offered deals in line with their contribution to the first team.

That may have been true but something must have changed with Travis committing to a long term deal.He would have got interest elsewhere if he wanted to leave.

Stopping giving out stupid contracts/extensions is fine, but not at the expense of losing valuable, contributing players through a new found frugal approach.

I expect we will see the effects with Travis on his next deal. I don’t think much has fundamentally changed, as evidenced by Nyambe. Timing has also worked in our favour with Travis, but against Nyambe… breaking through as young as he did hasn’t helped him. Plus we engaged Travis in a timely manner and didn’t stop negotiating for 12 months or so like we did with the others.

They only need to look back 6 years to see what happens when they cut the playing budget too far.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Understand he was shown around Brockhall before the squad left for Portugal.

Are we now unable to compete with Derby?

I’m glad. He would have been a poor signing. He’s a lazy bastard. There’s a reason he’s ended up in League 1. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Stopping giving out stupid contracts/extensions is fine, but not at the expense of losing valuable, contributing players through a new found frugal approach.

I expect we will see the effects with Travis on his next deal. I don’t think much has fundamentally changed, as evidenced by Nyambe. Timing has also worked in our favour with Travis, but against Nyambe… breaking through as young as he did hasn’t helped him. Plus we engaged Travis in a timely manner and didn’t stop negotiating for 12 months or so like we did with the others.

They only need to look back 6 years to see what happens when they cut the playing budget too far.

I'm a fan of Nyambe but don't you think it strange he hasn't been signed by anyone else yet? Maybe he just isn't rated as highly by people within the game as WE do on here or by his agent 

The wage bill needed cutting final offers should have been made to Nyambe, Rothwell and Lenihen last summer of January 21 and if no give by the players we should have been making the market aware they were available.

I don't think it's criminal that the club failed to get them to sign new deals but It is criminal that we got no money for them.

I'd love to know what it would have taken to get Rothwell to sign a new deal 18/12 months ago?If he was looking for money that would have put him in line with our highest earners then I'd say the club were Right not to agree to such terms.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but apart from half a season last year Rothwells performances didn't warrant a lengthy contract on good money.

Course Travis Money would have gone up considerably since he last signed a contract, he had become a mainstay in the side and captaining us on occasion.He signed on for another 4 year

1 hour ago, islander200 said:

Derby can only pay their new signings a maximum of 8k per week.

It was your understanding that Ferguson would be the new gaffer.

Stop trying to create a frenzy with an  unsubstantiated rumour that Hourihane turned us down for Derby County.

At least two other posters on this MB know the apparent story about Hourihane being shown around Brockhall - source, a Rovers' player.  I would think this is almost certainly correct. 

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 1

We all know we need some quality players in, and we all know we cant compete on the wages. So why not improve the bonuses
Offer larger bonuses for goal scored, wins, assists and promotion. Larger bonuses for the defence could be for no goals scored etc. 
Just a way they can top up their pay checks

38 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

The fans do, at least on this board. But the more important thing is we sign the right players for all the positions we need and don't overpay too much. It would be ideal to get them in now, but I'd rather sign quality next week than shite this week. Time is approaching being sensitive but it's not there just yet. The club shouldn't rush signings just to ease the anxieties of fans. But if we are two weeks from now and nobody or only say one player in the door, it's going to start to impact our preparations.

Oh I agree they need to be the right signings but the longer it goes on without signing anyone the more you can't help but feel there is still no plans in place, no leadership, no forward thinking.

We always seem to be lagging behind. So frustrating.

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

I like Tomasson and what he has had to say since he arrived but I think we need to remember where he has come from. He was unemployed for 6 months prior to coming here and whilst he was managing a relatively big side at Malmo and won a couple of titles it isn't exactly the sort of resume that gets pulses racing.

I'm yet to come across a manager who doesn't claim to have had other offers whilst unemployed. Not saying he is lying but he's hardly going to say the phone was dead for the last 6 months is he?

Besides if the offers were coming from clubs outside the power leagues of England, Spain, France, Germany and Italy it is likely that their budgets will have been small compared even to ours.

Why are you and others on here searching so desperately for things to be cynical about before a balls even been kicked!

Just such a poisoness place sometimes here, unless we're in the middle of a winning steak at the top end of the table its nothing but ultra pessimism (and I'm not always the most positive and optimistic person so that is saying something)

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, yeti-dog said:

I don't understand some of you people - seeming to enjoying the thought of everything coming crashing down & JDT feckin off. Closely followed by the usual suspects 'liking' said posts. I don't get it... 

He's just as likely to be gone when he realises how miserable & fatalistic some of the fan base are.

spot on

• Like 1