BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

1 hour ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Hourihane going to Derby.  Another decent player!

As an Irishman and seen plenty of him and watched his whole career, he is not very good. Decent left peg but Haas declined massively the last few years. No loss weather we were interested or not.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

We desperately need to get a couple of signings over the line here. Just settle is all down a bit.

This season I'd rather wait for the right players that are going to make us stronger in the long term than waste money signing players just for the sake of it. 

That said, still sooner the better, especially at right back and cb 😂 😂 

• Like 2

Just now, davulsukur said:

Oh I agree they need to be the right signings but the longer it goes on without signing anyone the more you can't help but feel there is still no plans in place, no leadership, no forward thinking.

We always seem to be lagging behind. So frustrating.

I think it's fair to give JDT and GB the benefit of the doubt for now. They're still quite new to the job and the club. We shouldn't have taken so long to get them in. In the fairly short time they've been here they've had to meet the squad, understand the squad and who is or isn't good enough (including the youth players, which will require seeing them up close), get to know the club (staff, facilities, processes), do all the media interviews, settle into the area perhaps with their families, bugger off to Portugal in JDT's case, take training, talk to the owners presumably, assess the existing targets the club drew up, throw some of their own into the mix, analyse who might be attainable within the budget (even harder to do when there are so many players needed...wouldn't have been much use spending 3 mill on Anel and then realising late in the window that the remaining budget was going to fall two players short because clubs or players are demanding more than expected), then go through the transfer process on targets and all the negotiations and back and forth and waiting that entails. They've probably also had to argue with and convince the old shoulder shruggers we've had about the place for years that there are better ways to do things.

It certainly helps that there are two of them, and that their duties are split nicely, so some of the above might only apply to one of them. But tbh, if we had signed 5 players by now like Burnley have, I'd be worried we had rushed it all. Burnley's activity is helped by their indubitably larger budget and the fact they engaged Kompany much longer ago than we seem to have engaged JDT. This will have given him a lot more time to assess and plan. I think if nobody is through the door or about to be by early next week, that's when I'll worry the old bungling ways are still dominant.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, unleaded said:

They scraped the John Park list of players who didn’t have baseball caps & torn jeans & started from scratch ….

Hourihane & Marcondas were on the old list …..

Anel was the player lined up for this week ….

Anel was the pressure relief signing ….. 

Plus Now they can’t sign the loan players from PL clubs ( Mads Bidstup etc ) until Mid August who want to see the players in pre season so they stuck down that avenue !!! 

Berget is hard to justify to the money men  ! He’s 32 or something…. They could have sneaked him under the JDT “we need experience” line 

Malmo now in Champions League so not in a rush to let Veljko Birmancevic leave ..they just received 6 million bonus from UEFA for there run from last season & 3 Million for Anel ….

So in other words "nothing is happening" as predicted all along.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, unleaded said:

They scraped the John Park list of players who didn’t have baseball caps & torn jeans & started from scratch ….

That will add to the delays I mentioned. I'm surprised tbh, I thought they'd identify new targets of course but I would have thought the old list would still have been of some interest. Park only left a week ago didn't he, so they only started drumming up this new list in the last week? The sort of thing you'd usually spend months putting together. Though they'll still use the same scout reports from before presumably.

6 minutes ago, unleaded said:

Plus Now they can’t sign the loan players from PL clubs ( Mads Bidstup etc ) until Mid August who want to see the players in pre season so they stuck down that avenue !!! 

Berget is hard to justify to the money men  ! He’s 32 or something…. They could have sneaked him under the JDT “we need experience” line 

Malmo now in Champions League so not in a rush to let Veljko Birmancevic leave ..they just received 6 million bonus from UEFA for there run from last season & 3 Million for Anel ….

I predicted it will all be last minute signings and deals which has pretty much been the story under the errant ones. The real worry for me is that we will be seven games into the new season by then, seven games which could shape our season.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, unleaded said:

As much as this is going to kick off another outpouring of misery I don't actually mind hearing this.

Park's list has thankfully been thrown out. 

We need a fresh start - hopefully we'll see a few fresh start signings soon... 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, yeti-dog said:

As much as this is going to kick off another outpouring of misery I don't actually mind hearing this.

Park's list has thankfully been thrown out. 

We need a fresh start - hopefully we'll see a few fresh start signings soon... 

I don’t think Park or his list is much of a loss but the timing could have been better.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

26 minutes ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

Why are you and others on here searching so desperately for things to be cynical about before a balls even been kicked!

Just such a poisoness place sometimes here, unless we're in the middle of a winning steak at the top end of the table its nothing but ultra pessimism (and I'm not always the most positive and optimistic person so that is saying something)

Why? How about the last 12 years of being lied to, misled, let down and made a fool of.

You call it poisonous, I call it realistic and learning from the past. That's how these crooks operate.

I wish it wasn't so but actions speak louder than words, and all we've had this summer so far is words.

• Like 6

Let’s get it right, the gig here is to get the right players. It’s not a race…

I want us to sign some great players asap but not to tick a box Connor Hourihane? Please.

I still think we’ll get one in this week but remember this, we still don’t have a head of recruitment, there’s a new manager and the DoF has only ever worked in youth football.

I think, other than a RB, we can put a good first XI out. So let’s see who we get, whenever we get them.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

The fans do, at least on this board. But the more important thing is we sign the right players for all the positions we need and don't overpay too much. It would be ideal to get them in now, but I'd rather sign quality next week than shite this week. Time is approaching being sensitive but it's not there just yet. The club shouldn't rush signings just to ease the anxieties of fans. But if we are two weeks from now and nobody or only say one player in the door, it's going to start to impact our preparations.

This.

Desperately scrambling to get 'some bodies' through the door is an absolute recipe for disaster.

Be patient, transfers will come and they'll (hopefully) be the right ones.

• Like 5

Waiting doesn't necessarily mean we are going to get the better ones. Quite possibly the good ones will be gone by the time we are getting our business done.

It seems the assumption is that moving quickly means we are rushing or getting people in for the sake of it. On the other hand it could just mean we have a plan and are acting on it whereas rushing around at the last minute suggests no plan.

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, islander200 said:

I'm a fan of Nyambe but don't you think it strange he hasn't been signed by anyone else yet? Maybe he just isn't rated as highly by people within the game as WE do on here or by his agent 

The wage bill needed cutting final offers should have been made to Nyambe, Rothwell and Lenihen last summer of January 21 and if no give by the players we should have been making the market aware they were available.

I don't think it's criminal that the club failed to get them to sign new deals but It is criminal that we got no money for them.

I'd love to know what it would have taken to get Rothwell to sign a new deal 18/12 months ago?If he was looking for money that would have put him in line with our highest earners then I'd say the club were Right not to agree to such terms.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but apart from half a season last year Rothwells performances didn't warrant a lengthy contract on good money.

Course Travis Money would have gone up considerably since he last signed a contract, he had become a mainstay in the side and captaining us on occasion.He signed on for another 4 year

A little, but then you look at all the other players in the same boat and I doubt Nyambe has any worries. Cyrus Christie who has been heralded by many as massively better than Nyambe is still without a club too.

The wage bill has been cut to the bone over the last two years. It needs increasing from where it stands now if we are to avoid relegation, let alone have any aspirations of promotion.

Hughes pulling Nelson and Samba (and mokoena to an extent) out of thin air for next to nothing! At a time when our defense was absolutely on its arse, those where the days 😍😍😍

Where. 

Times have changed, not just for us but for professional football in general, so hard to find a bargain and get them in on the quiet these days, especially an overseas bargain! There's eyes everywhere, as soon as one club puts a bid in for a player its news in minutes causing other clubs to perk up and the vultures descended. 

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo

• Moderation Lead
16 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

the intrepid reporter rich sharpe has gone all kate adie and is now on the front line trying to infiltrate the corridors of brockhall in his quest to find out about the legendary list of targets

Isn’t he on holiday?

10 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

A little, but then you look at all the other players in the same boat and I doubt Nyambe has any worries. Cyrus Christie who has been heralded by many as massively better than Nyambe is still without a club too.

The wage bill has been cut to the bone over the last two years. It needs increasing from where it stands now if we are to avoid relegation, let alone have any aspirations of promotion.

I agree the team needs investment but I'm not having we are in relegation trouble as it stands.

There are more than 3 teams in worse shape than us 

The wage bill has been massively reduced ,in the main by getting rid of players that contributed next to nothing.

And I would say our wage bill is still higher than a fair few teams in this division 

Edited by islander200
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

Hughes pulling Nelson and Samba (and mokoena to an extent) out of thin air for next to nothing! At a time when our defense was absolutely on its arse, those where the days 😍😍😍

Where. 

Times have changed, not just for us but for professional football in general, so hard to find a bargain and get them in on the quiet these days, especially an overseas bargain! There's eyes everywhere, as soon as one club puts a bid in for a player its news in minutes causing other clubs to perk up and the vultures descended. 

Hughes was the perfect example of having the right scouting and coaching staff around him - and look how it paid off.

Be interesting to see who the new Chief Scout will be, and what his background is.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Waiting doesn't necessarily mean we are going to get the better ones. Quite possibly the good ones will be gone by the time we are getting our business done.

It seems the assumption is that moving quickly means we are rushing or getting people in for the sake of it. On the other hand it could just mean we have a plan and are acting on it whereas rushing around at the last minute suggests no plan.

It seems the assumption is that not moving quickly means we have no money or plan.

• Like 2