BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

24 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

We'd be in the bottom 3 for sure.

The back 4 has absolutely no depth in any position.

Neither does centre mid. Beyond Travis and Buckley it's a 17 year old.

Garrets 19 and would probably contribute more than Bradley Johnson did last season.

Do the Rotherhams, Birmingham's Readings etc of the league have squad depth? 

Players will come in but hopefully Dack will be back fit and functioning, I'm excited to see what Markanday can do, hopefully after a second loan Carter can come back and have an impact like Wharton.

As it stands I'd disagree with you that we would be in the bottom 3.Players will come in 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

No one has ever said that we need to just panic and sign bad players, its a straw man argument because time and quality are not mutually exclusive. It is a reasonable expectation to bring in quality AND to sign at least a large proportion of summer signings as soon as possible well in advance of the season to get them integrated. It is important to start the season well. I have no doubt that you will repeat the response that you aren't panicking and it is about quality without acknowledging that there should ALSO be a desire to get players in sooner rather than later if at all possible to prepare to start the season well.

Clearly you would like your signings in early but that hasn't happened so far. Given that JDT and GB have only been 3 weeks and given JDT wanted to look at the squad we had on the Portugal training camp to see what targets we want after seeing them in a week training camp

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

The Brentford model is not comparable unless we scrap the academy and start using a B team, which obviously is unwise. It also requires continuous commitment from the owners to reinvest part of any fees received which history shows doesn't always happen. 

firstly, we don't have the follow the direct model of Brentford but takes things from that model like smart recruitment and data analysis departments, smart recruitment planning, buying cheap and selling high. 

Our academy is working great for our club. 

46 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

That is 7 games into the season. The key surely is the squad on the 30th of July, with anything after that just being the cherry on top.

We all know this. But I would rather buy the players we want and fit JDT's formation and style of play. 

I will reserve judgement on transfers/activity etc, until Xmas.

Other clubs are getting business done, who have new managers, hopefully there is a plan and we dont get to transfer deadline day with us losing Brereton and having no replacement.

I think we'd all like to see players coming through the door, its not happened yet, maybe we've not bid for any yet.

We appear to have the set up in place to get transfers done, we allegedly have a healthy budget, i'm sat here with everything crossed that come Xmas, we are competing 8th or higher, as anything less than that this season, means we've taken a step backwards

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Garrets 19 and would probably contribute more than Bradley Johnson did last season.

Players will come in but hopefully Dack will be back fit and functioning, I'm excited to see what Markanday can do, hopefully after a second loan Carter can come back and have an impact like Wharton.

As it stands I'd disagree with you that we would be in the bottom 3.Players will come in 

Agreed.

I have a lot of faith in some of the young lads. As you say, Garrett would offer nothing less than the likes of Johnson.

I think Batty would be at least equal to Pickering at LB and we have players Pike, Phillips and Adam Wharton who would more than hold their own in the Championship, in my opinion. Markanday will have a breakout season and Hedges' last couple of games last season offered a lot of promise.

And signings will come.

It is not all doom and gloom, even at this stage.

Edited by Andy
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Do those clubs have new managers, a new DoF and their head of recruitment just left?

We have created our own issues on that front, by taking an eternity to sort this out when it was clear the manager was leaving. 

It is Rovers who decided to bring a director of football in at the end of the season and get rid of the head of recruitment.

If and ifs a big word, we dont get adequate business done before transfer deadline, then this is self inflicted, and not an acceptable excuse by any standards 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Andy said:

Agreed.

I have a lot of faith in some of the young lads. As you say, Garrett would offer nothing less than the likes of Johnson.

I think Batty would be at least equal to Pickering at LB and we have players Pike, Phillips and Adam Wharton who would more than hold their own in the Championship, in my opinion. Markanday will have a breakout season and Hedges' last couple of games last season offered a lot of promise.

And signings will come.

You think we put all these in a side and they would be fine in the championship or just one here and there?  Surely we have over half the outfield team as academy teenagers we are going down 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Clearly you would like your signings in early but that hasn't happened so far. Given that JDT and GB have only been 3 weeks and given JDT wanted to look at the squad we had on the Portugal training camp to see what targets we want after seeing them in a week training camp

firstly, we don't have the follow the direct model of Brentford but takes things from that model like smart recruitment and data analysis departments, smart recruitment planning, buying cheap and selling high. 

Our academy is working great for our club. 

We all know this. But I would rather buy the players we want and fit JDT's formation and style of play. 

Based on that last sentence that you would "rather" sign the players we want, as if its a choice of speed and quality, ill assume you arent reading what I am saying.

7 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

You think we put all these in a side and they would be fine in the championship or just one here and there?  Surely we have over half the outfield team as academy teenagers we are going down 

I do think a lot of weight being put into the under 23s.

My issue with that is, the teams the under 23s play are often very diluted of quality as the bigger clubs have most of their top youths out on loan elsewhere. Was it 60 players man city had out on loan last season? Nearly 50 Chelsea? Etc.

We all love someone coming through the ranks, and would like nothing better, it gives us all a buzz. However we need to be careful of thinking its the answer as its more likely to be false economy than a conveyor belt of superstars

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

We have created our own issues on that front, by taking an eternity to sort this out when it was clear the manager was leaving. 

It is Rovers who decided to bring a director of football in at the end of the season and get rid of the head of recruitment.

If and ifs a big word, we dont get adequate business done before transfer deadline, then this is self inflicted, and not an acceptable excuse by any standards 

Absolutely we have. But now we have done it, and need to wee with the willy we've got. With that willy, I don't think it's reasonable to expect us to have pissed transfers in a way other clubs without those issues have. The club totally deserves criticism for the bungled managerial process but the new guys themselves deserve a clean slate and a fair chance to get players in. If we still have nothing in a couple of weeks it will be a major concern. We certainly can't afford to do 6 deadline day signings or some shit like that.

• Like 1

Must admit, I'm pretty uncomfortable with all this focus on the Academy. The kids will do nowt, in my opinion. Alan Hansen wasn't wrong in the grand scheme of things. There's a reason nobody else has repeated the Class of '92 story. It's close to impossible to do it.

It's a good idea in theory, romantic even, but more often than not it doesn't work out as hoped. We've had this before with Pike, McBride, Butterworth etc being suggested as viable options. Where are they? A few have come through, fair enough, but I don't agree with the thought that a batch of kids can fill our squad out.

I'm not against giving them a chance, but if we go into the season thinking we need one player less in position a, b and c because we have x, y and z kid, we are going to be in a heap of trouble.

We need established players to come in, but the cheapskates who have reduced us to this state seemingly are making it difficult for that to happen. I was also disappointed to read we had potentially missed out on Hourihane. A quality player, experienced and with an eye for a pass. A club in our position can't be passing up on such players, in my view. Let's hope JDT and Broughton have other creative players in mind who we may not have thought about.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Absolutely we have. But now we have done it, and need to wee with the willy we've got. With that willy, I don't think it's reasonable to expect us to have pissed transfers in a way other clubs without those issues have. The club totally deserves criticism for the bungled managerial process but the new guys themselves deserve a clean slate and a fair chance to get players in. If we still have nothing in a couple of weeks it will be a major concern. We certainly can't afford to do 6 deadline day signings or some shit like that.

Hence i said i will reserve judgement til Xmas

28 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

We ain't going to have half the side as teenagers.

But why can't Batty or Garrett make an impact just because they are in their teens?

Other teams in the championship blood teenagers and our academy is amongst the best in the Championship.

Garrett and Batty both played/play underage for England, not seen too much of Batty myself but seen a bit of Garrett and think he could be capable.

I'm not advocating we don't spend any money and I agree we need some ready made players brought in but I would rather a young player get minutes than sign and give a 2/3 year deal to a player on his way down like a Hourihane or Bradley Johnson 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, islander200 said:

But why can't Batty or Garrett make an impact just because they are in their teens?

Other teams in the championship blood teenagers and our academy is amongst the best in the Championship.

Garrett and Batty both played/play underage for England, not seen too much of Batty myself but seen a bit of Garrett and think he could be capable.

I'm not advocating we don't spend any money and I agree we need some ready made players brought in but I would rather a young player get minutes than sign and give a 2/3 year deal to a player on his way down like a Hourihane or Bradley Johnson 

So would you be opposed to signing someone who is say 30/31? 

We have a lack of experience, even if we felt that the younger players are on par ability wise which would be a huge assumption in itself, then they would lack senior players beside them to show them the way.

12 minutes ago, islander200 said:

But why can't Batty or Garrett make an impact just because they are in their teens

I only asked the question, the chap was replacing first teamers with academy kids, one or two here and there isn't a worry, if 5 outfield players are from.our 23s then that's a worry

• Like 2

1 hour ago, islander200 said:

Oh don't get me wrong, I'd love players like Garrett and Batty to come in, get some games under theirs belts and make a decent contribution to our season but it's a long season, if we are playing a higher tempo, pressing game, players are going to get injured/fatigued. I read before JDT got the job that he liked to rotate players a lot in his previous job. 

53 minutes ago, Andy said:

Agreed.

And signings will come.

It's not doom and gloom, it's just realistic to think that should we be in a situation where injuries/suspensions mean we have to turn to our younger players, we might very well struggle. 

The step up from U23's to the championship is huge and despite players looking good at U23 level, plenty don't make it.

• Like 3