BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

9 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

I only asked the question, the chap was replacing first teamers with academy kids, one or two here and there isn't a worry, if 5 outfield players are from.our 23s then that's a worry

Not quite, I'd suggested that Garrett was a good replacement for Johnson or Davenport - bit part players who fill in for injuries/etc.

I wouldn't shove any of the kids straight into the team at this stage; that would be daft.

But, as my point on the last page was, we should be using a handful of them as squad players and to compliment the players we'll be bringing in.

The other side of my previous post was suggesting that the likes of Markanday, Hedges and Carter should hopefully be in a position to make an impact this season, all being a step or three ahead of the Academy kids.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Based on that last sentence that you would "rather" sign the players we want, as if its a choice of speed and quality, ill assume you arent reading what I am saying.

I have read your point about speed and quality thanks

13 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

So would you be opposed to signing someone who is say 30/31? 

We have a lack of experience, even if we felt that the younger players are on par ability wise which would be a huge assumption in itself, then they would lack senior players beside them to show them the way.

Don't mind 1 or 2 signings but I would target's players around 23 to 25 age. That will improve and develop here. 

31 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

So would you be opposed to signing someone who is say 30/31? 

We have a lack of experience, even if we felt that the younger players are on par ability wise which would be a huge assumption in itself, then they would lack senior players beside them to show them the way.

Id be against doing what we did with Bradley Johnson and others like him.

Giving them 2 or 3 deals here.If lucky we get six decent months out of them.

It depends on the player.The ones we have signed up to now achieved nothing with us.I dont think this is a league with a lot of quality and it doesn't take much to finish mid table so I would rather see a younger player brought in.Unless we are spending money and taking a 30/31 year old from another club who don't particularly want to lose him then the likelihood is we will just end up with another who doesn't contribute enough to justify their wage and the 2+1 year deal we most likely have given them 

There is a reason Hourihane ended up at Derby and it won't be money as they are under restrictions.I noticed earlier you would have been happy with him signing?Out of interest where would you have played him?

The club has been burnt many times with contracts we have given to players coming to the end.

Agree about the experience but they have to be able to contribute on the field aswell and over the period we have given them contracts for.

Plenty of 27/28 year olds are experienced.

Edited by islander200
  • Like 2

Please can someone go on Twitter and make up a random rumour. Least then I can waste time watching YouTube videos and trying to squeeze them in to our starting 11. 😂

I’m bored of trying to figure out how we haven’t signed anyone yet! 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Id be against doing what we did with Bradley Johnson and others like him.

Giving them 2 or 3 deals here.If lucky we get six decent months out of them.

It depends on the player.The ones we have signed up to now achieved nothing with us.I dont think this is a league with a lot of quality and it doesn't take much to finish mid table so I would rather see a younger player brought in.Unless we are spending money and taking a 30/31 year old from another club who don't particularly want to lose him then the likelihood is we will just end up with another who doesn't contribute enough to justify their wage and the 2+1 year deal we most likely have given them 

There is a reason Hourihane ended up at Derby and it won't be money as they are under restrictions.I noticed earlier you would have been happy with him signing?Out of interest where would you have played him?

The club has been burnt many times with contracts we have given to players coming to the end.

If your attitude is "enough to finish mid table" then what is the point?

Having a sprinkling of experience not only can improve your results in the short term but it can help the development of the youngsters. They can be on a hiding to nothing if too many kids are chucked in at once and they can learn from senior pros.

I think as an option in the centre of midfield, not necessarily as a starter every week but he could compete and potentially balance with say Travis nicely. Then sign at least one other in there who is of a good age with room for development.

Any youngsters good enough will break through, you cant avoid experience and force the issue though.

12 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

If your attitude is "enough to finish mid table" then what is the point?

Having a sprinkling of experience not only can improve your results in the short term but it can help the development of the youngsters. They can be on a hiding to nothing if too many kids are chucked in at once and they can learn from senior pros.

I think as an option in the centre of midfield, not necessarily as a starter every week but he could compete and potentially balance with say Travis nicely. Then sign at least one other in there who is of a good age with room for development.

Any youngsters good enough will break through, you cant avoid experience and force the issue though.

That isn't my ambition.But do you really think a Bradley Johnson or a Hourihane are firing us to promotion glory?

Throughout these years of the championship we have had plenty of "experience" and where has it got us?

Buckley looked a lot better last season.Why? Because he had a run of games

Similar with Brererton.

We have had plenty of 30/31 year olds here or given new deals at that age and we got nothing but mid table with them.

Buckley will be alongside Travis next season 

Edited by islander200
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

He won’t be replacing Jones if Boro play with wing backs.

I think him being better defensively he'd suite playing right side of a back three. Wilder is a great manager and would do really well with nyambe. He can play enough without being spectacular. Especially with such good attacking wing backs ahead of him. It'll mean there's not pressure on him to deliver going forward. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Danny O.Brien said:

I think him being better defensively he'd suite playing right side of a back three. Wilder is a great manager and would do really well with nyambe. He can play enough without being spectacular. Especially with such good attacking wing backs ahead of him. It'll mean there's not pressure on him to deliver going forward. 

Surely that's where Lenihen will be playing tho?

20 minutes ago, Hi Mack said:

Please can someone go on Twitter and make up a random rumour. Least then I can waste time watching YouTube videos and trying to squeeze them in to our starting 11. 😂

I’m bored of trying to figure out how we haven’t signed anyone yet! 

Simple, we aren't offering the wages other clubs are prepared to offer, that's why Boro will have signed 2 of ours when Nyambe goes there and why others have done decent business early in the window. Broughton and JDT have to be clever and pull some astute signings out of left field that we don't have much competition with other clubs for. Selling Brereton quick sharp would help, we need him gone soon rather than late in the window without time to strengthen.

• Like 1

It’s interesting how things change. I’d been led to believe we had a squad so brimming talent that it was only the unique ineptitude of Mowbray that stopped us winning promotion at a canter. Now it appears that we were entirely dependent on Rothwell’s 3 goals, Nyambe stopping the occasional breakaway and a career Championship-level defender in avoiding certain relegation.

Personally, I think the outcome will be somewhere in-between.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, islander200 said:

That isn't my ambition.But do you really think a Bradley Johnson or a Hourihane are firing us to promotion glory?

Throughout these years of the championship we have had plenty of "experience" and where has it got us?

Buckley looked a lot better last season.Why? Because he had a run of games

Similar with Brererton.

We have had plenty of 30/31 year olds here or given new deals at that age and we got nothing but mid table with them.

Buckley will be alongside Travis next season 

But like I said, young players who are good enough will break into the team regardless, but we cant rely on them to do so and leave ourselves short if they arent.

There are plenty of examples of Championship sides having experienced players who have helped achieve promotion, just because the individuals we have signed in the past have not been entirely successful and havent led us to promotion doesnt mean we should avoid it.

Hourihane played a squad role at Sheffield United who have starting midfielders far better than ours and did a capable job when called upon. 

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

But like I said, young players who are good enough will break into the team regardless, but we cant rely on them to do so and leave ourselves short if they arent.

There are plenty of examples of Championship sides having experienced players who have helped achieve promotion, just because the individuals we have signed in the past have not been entirely successful and havent led us to promotion doesnt mean we should avoid it.

Hourihane played a squad role at Sheffield United who have starting midfielders far better than ours and did a capable job when called upon. 

And now Hourihane has joined a club in league one.He isn't doing that if he was getting offers in this division.As we have seen plenty of times a player that age can lose it overnight (Mulgrew being the prime example).

He would have wanted two years here, this is one of the reasons are finances are as poor as they are, giving out contracts to these sort of players.

So we sign Hourihane,give him the 2 years get similar levels as we did with Bradley Johnson the majority of the time he was here and end up mid table next season while Hourihane drains the club finances further by paying him his last year for nothing.

A younger player could be getting those minutes will be beneficial for us in the longer term.We definitely need new signings but not just for the sake of it.Iv seen you mention we need 8 or 9 in?Crikey on our budget...we end up with 9 Hope Akpans and we wouldn't be going anywhere near promotion.

Hypothetically we have 10 million to spend on transfer fees alone(I know we won't spend that much) I'd rather that money was spent on 4 players.Couple of 3 million and couple for 2...I wouldn't want that budget stretching to 9 players.

Add a couple of loans and use the young players who the management feel can contribute.There will be a couple like in seasons past that can play a part.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Nyambe allegedly signing for Middlesbrough 

Not surprised at all, judging by Lenihans ball licking comments on speaking to Mowbray about leaving rovers, I believe mowbray will have told/advised all the first team soon to be out of contract players(at the time) to leave long before he even left himself, that would be him all over, he couldn't care less about the club itself more interested in helping his crappy little proteges and agent pals out, especially with the north east shysters. plus he's a vindictive turd bag👍

really hope middlesbrough crumble this year, shit club.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

It’s interesting how things change. I’d been led to believe we had a squad so brimming talent that it was only the unique ineptitude of Mowbray that stopped us winning promotion at a canter. Now it appears that we were entirely dependent on Rothwell’s 3 goals, Nyambe stopping the occasional breakaway and a career Championship-level defender in avoiding certain relegation.

I agree to an extent but that talented squad still required quality additions. That was obvious in the latter stages of the season. Now some of the main players have gone we are well short in quality and numbers.

We need 6 decent incomings, I’m not confident we are capable of acquiring such quality, this is due to money and ambition.

38 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Well JDT will have assessed them and see whether they are good enough for first team. 

38 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Would you have like us to have sign Hourihane? 

22 minutes ago, islander200 said:

And now Hourihane has joined a club in league one.He isn't doing that if he was getting offers in this division.As we have seen plenty of times a player that age can lose it overnight (Mulgrew being the prime example).

He would have wanted two years here, this is one of the reasons are finances are as poor as they are, giving out contracts to these sort of players.

So we sign Hourihane,give him the 2 years get similar levels as we did with Bradley Johnson the majority of the time he was here and end up mid table next season while Hourihane drains the club finances further by paying him his last year for nothing.

A younger player could be getting those minutes will be beneficial for us in the longer term.We definitely need new signings but not just for the sake of it.Iv seen you mention we need 8 or 9 in?Crikey on our budget...we end up with 9 Hope Akpans and we wouldn't be going anywhere near promotion.

Hypothetically we have 10 million to spend on transfer fees alone(I know we won't spend that much) I'd rather that money was spent on 4 players.Couple of 3 million and couple for 2...I wouldn't want that budget stretching to 9 players.

Add a couple of loans and use the young players who the management feel can contribute.There will be a couple like in seasons past that can play a part.

Some excellent points made there. 

I feel 4 permanent signings plus 2 loans would be right for us. 

9 signings is too much in my opinion and would block young players pathway to the first team

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

Not surprised at all, judging by Lenihans ball licking comments on speaking to Mowbray about leaving rovers, I believe mowbray will have told/advised all the first team soon to be out of contract players(at the time) to leave long before he even left himself, that would be him all over, he couldn't care less about the club itself more interested in helping his crappy little proteges and agent pals out, especially with the north east shysters. plus he's a vindictive turd bag👍

it would`nt suprise me if that was the case,if they think lenihan is the man to lead them to the promised land they are ****** deluded,he`s nothing but a bog standard stopper who`s bad at reading the game,hence his bad disciplinary record,nyambe on the other hand,with a progressive manager who can get him contributing going forward is a potential top flight player,i doubt that wilder is the manager for him though,he`s a bit tactical is`nt he,always chopping and changing his team shape,ryan would be better off signing for us or going to west brom,he`s been linked there as well as boro

1 hour ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

It's a good point but despite some overhyping the 'quality' of the squad to bolster their point,  we spent the latter part of last season in relegation form. How the owners expect an improvement on that by having a paper thin squad  denuded of last season's best and most experienced players only they know. To me it smacks of neglect, incompetence and contempt 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

If we'd just lost Rothwell, Lenihan and Nyambe I'd be inclined to agree with you, but we haven't. I'd say we were more dependent on Van Hecke and Diaz 2021 than any of those three.

47 minutes ago, islander200 said:

You seem to have been particularly stung by Mulgrew and Johnson but there are examples both here and elsewhere of experienced players really helping teams. All the promoted teams had experience, more than we have. You also make out as if an experienced player like Hourihane would automatically be a financial burden yet also say that he went to Derby on not much.

I think we need around 8 or 9 yes, I never said that I think we will or indeed that we could afford 9. Sub keeper as Pears is not capable back up and could do with getting football elsewhere. A right  back, a centre back and another defender to provide some competition/back up. A couple of midfielders, a left winger and a striker or 2. I see genuine gaps in the squad, none of them are "for the sake of it." Why that extra 2 or 3 couldnt be loans/freebies and why it becomes 9 Akpans seems like hyperbole to me.

Anyway, anything isnt about asset generating and the long term. Successful teams tend to have some experience and for me especially after a couple of the players we have lost, we dont have enough. Fair enough if you would be against adding experience.

17 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well JDT will have assessed them and see whether they are good enough for first team. 

Would you have like us to have sign Hourihane? 

Some excellent points made there. 

I feel 4 permanent signings plus 2 loans would be right for us. 

9 signings is too much in my opinion and would block young players pathway to the first team

He wouldnt have been the most exciting but I would have taken him to add competition. A good technical player with good experience at the top end of the division.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

Lenihan was Chief Lemon Drizzler - I still remember him holding the cake for Mowbray's birthday / 5 year anniversary at the club. Captain by default, not a leader. 

• Like 6