BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

19 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I dont see the problem with players playing on their wrong side, it can lead to more goals. Brereton has played from that left hand side and scored lots this season. Obviously with both of those mentioned, the big question is regarding their ability which is a bit of an unknown.

It can also lead to less quality balls into the box, and less goals. See our form this year. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, davulsukur said:

Same, no chance I'd be paying a transfer fee, certainly not if we are talking in the millions.

I reckon he is probably better than we've seen, due to injury and being played in the wrong position a fair bit. But what we have seen certainly doesn't warrant a large outlay.

I'd not be outraged by a tiny fee in our usual 200-300k ish region and modest wages, but I very much doubt either of those things would be possible anyway. With his injury record as an additional concern though, I should think we can do better for even that kind of money.

As I said at the time we loaned him, we were absolutely never going to pay the rumoured 3.5 million for a right back unless we got promoted and he had excelled. We were having his club on about the possibility so they'd authorise the loan, and maybe to cover the 'promoted and he excelled' scenario.

4 hours ago, Torgeir said:

Kaminski

Hoping for a managerial change myself.

Lol even he had to switch his type of keeper role this season, from the pass-playing sweeper keeper to the more traditional long punts and not coming as far off his line. He particularly struggled with the long punts.

Although I don't fault Mowbray for that one in truth, it might not suit TK's best game, but we couldn't continue with the tippy tappy sideways crappy we tried all of last season.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, bluebruce said:

I reckon he is probably better than we've seen, due to injury and being played in the wrong position a fair bit. But what we have seen certainly doesn't warrant a large outlay.

I'd not be outraged by a tiny fee in our usual 200-300k ish region and modest wages, but I very much doubt either of those things would be possible anyway. With his injury record as an additional concern though, I should think we can do better for even that kind of money.

As I said at the time we loaned him, we were absolutely never going to pay the rumoured 3.5 million for a right back unless we got promoted and he had excelled. We were having his club on about the possibility so they'd authorise the loan, and maybe to cover the 'promoted and he excelled' scenario.

Yep, I'd be alright with circa £250k.

His injuries are a big concern though. He's still injured now, isn't he?

• Backroom

Ayala is well known for going missing during the winter months. If he was only being paid to play 50% of the season then fine, but he isn't. In fact I believe in the last two seasons he's made 30 appearances out of a possible 92, so it's more like 30%. A good player when he's fit, but completely unreliable. 

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, goozburger said:

Yes. Ayala is the best defender at the club. He was frozen out when we could have done with his leadership and skill on the pitch. We couldn't have done any worse at the back without him than we did.

He was not playing throughout our winning run, with Van Hecke, Lenihan and Wharton all superb together.

• Like 5

• Backroom
12 minutes ago, goozburger said:

I think Ayala was fit enough to play a majority of games in the second half of this season, unless I'm mistaken. Mowbray kept him out because he didn't want to unbalance the starting XI (I assume). Wharton started to mistakes after standing in well for him. I like Wharton, and he'll be a big player for us, but Ayala should have been brought back into the starting XI. Nothing was stopping that.

He lost his place originally because he was injured though, and there's every chance he would have been back on the treatment table soon enough if he had been reintroduced. We don't know the exact reason as to why Ayala wasn't in the first eleven when he had presumably regained fitness, but either way it's a bad look for Ayala to have only played a third of our league matches since joining, and an equally bad look for Mowbray in giving him a three year deal on what we have to assume are relatively high wages. 

I'd happily move him on in the summer if possible, but I'm not sure if anybody would be interested in matching the wages we're giving him.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DE. said:

He lost his place originally because he was injured though, and there's every chance he would have been back on the treatment table soon enough if he had been reintroduced. We don't know the exact reason as to why Ayala wasn't in the first eleven when he had presumably regained fitness, but either way it's a bad look for Ayala to have only played a third of our league matches since joining, and an equally bad look for Mowbray in giving him a three year deal on what we have to assume are relatively high wages. 

I'd happily move him on in the summer if possible, but I'm not sure if anybody would be interested in matching the wages we're giving him.

Yep he's not getting any younger and costing plenty. I'd shunt for nothing if  anyone was fool enough to buy.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, DE. said:

Highest wages at the club!

18 minutes ago, neophox said:

I think the injury to Markanday and Brereton could had an small impact in getting to play offs. With these two available along with Khadra we could had end up above Luton.

Although if Luton had no injuries themselves they would possibly have had more points. We won’t be the only club to have suffered over the season,

Luton-chief-is-praying-for-some-divine-intervention-to-heal-towns-crippling-injury-list

• Like 6