BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

27 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Yeah but all that still doesn't take away from the fact that throughout Mowbrays managerial career he struggles in the second half of the season at all his clubs.

Happened throughout 1980’s at Ewood islander, Kendal almost got us up, Saxton too. Don Mackay was funded by Jack, he also failed.

If memory serves me correctly, all had bad runs in 2nd half of the season. Don went on 23 game unbeaten run and blew it towards the end.

Why? Small squads, lacking in quality beyond your first 11, no funds.

Its not a Mowbray thing at all if you look beyond the tripe written on here.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Gav said:

Happened throughout 1980’s at Ewood islander, Kendal almost got us up, Saxton too. Don Mackay was funded by Jack, he also failed.

If memory serves me correctly, all had bad runs in 2nd half of the season. Don went on 23 game unbeaten run and blew it towards the end.

Agree to disagree.

But I'm basing my opinion on his whole managerial career, not just his time here.It happened at Boro, at Coventry l, at Celtic.

Just to be clear I am In total agreement with you the the owners are the major and main issue.But I do not blame the owners for Mowbrays short comings in terms of team selection , playing players out of position and his decision not to bring in an extra attacker in January.

With the position we had gotten ourselves into and the kind fixtures we had remaining no way we should have been finishing outside the top 6.He should have changed things up when 3 at the back and the way we had been playing had been found out 

• Like 5

• Moderation Lead
19 minutes ago, Gav said:

He’s obviously not the first manager to be prone to a collapse, but that doesn’t stop him having form for a post Christmas fold.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

He’s obviously not the first manager to be prone to a collapse, but that doesn’t stop him having form for a post Christmas fold.

As do 100’s of managers across the leagues K-Hod.

We aren’t all saying ‘Now that Scott Parker at Bournemouth, he’s a great manager’ are we?

Good end to the season, funds we can only dream of.

Mowbray obviously takes responsibility for team selection and should have done far better post Xmas but reading between the lines I can’t help but feel Tony has protected (lied for)  his employer regarding things like he had to stop them from spending and preferring a slow build, didn’t want a striker in jan etc. 
There has been numerous baffling contradictions over the years , especially earlier in his reign claiming venkys were committed good owners.

Now he’s leaving and had no contact I get the impression he’s telling the public how it really was and he has had to work with his hands tied. 

Im sure some of it is self preservation and he’s made a rod for his own back with his comments  . If he was as honest and humble as he’s says and been more honest from day one with the fans and press,  I for one would have had more sympathy, respect and leeway with the way he has worked over the years. The fact is he has either lied to us for five years to protect himself or he’s lying now , neither making him honest or humble.  

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Rothwell confirmed as leaving on a free then.

Fair enough - I think he'll be disappointed at the offers he's about to receive. 

I don't know where Rothwell will end up. He is not a premier league standard player on a regular enough basis, but he is to much of a luxury to have in a team battling for promotion. He would be ideal in a team strolling promotion, like Fulham did this season.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Mowbray obviously takes responsibility for team selection and should have done far better post Xmas but reading between the lines I can’t help but feel Tony has protected (lied for)  his employer regarding things like he had to stop them from spending and preferring a slow build, didn’t want a striker in jan etc. 
There has been numerous baffling contradictions over the years , especially earlier in his reign claiming venkys were committed good owners.

Now he’s leaving and had no contact I get the impression he’s telling the public how it really was and he has had to work with his hands tied. 

Im sure some of it is self preservation and he’s made a rod for his own back with his comments  . If he was as honest and humble as he’s says and been more honest from day one with the fans and press,  I for one would have had more sympathy, respect and leeway with the way he has worked over the years. The fact is he has either lied to us for five years to protect himself or he’s lying now , neither making him honest or humble.  

Post pandemic he was given £15 million to spend on 3 attackers in the space of 12 months.

5 years here and hasn't been forced to sell a player, Raya he threw under the bus and Armstrong only had a year left on his deal.

Owners signed off on a number of long term deals under his management for little or no return...Mulgrew , Bennett, Evans, Bradley Johnson, Ayala etc

Since the pandemic he hasn't had the same sort of backing,but still lasy season 12 players came through the door through a mixture of loans and frees which still cost the club money.

He can have a complaint this season that he wasn't given money from the Armstrong sale but apart from that he can have no complaints over the backing he has recieved.

In it for himself imo.Talked the club down at every given opportunity.Going public with the Rothwell situation and then on the eve of the Bournemouth game decides to make it about him and his future when prior to that it was "we will see at the end of the season".

It's a kop out him hiding behind our owners to explain away the terrible run we have had since January 

• Like 8

35 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Fair enough - I think he'll be disappointed at the offers he's about to receive. 

He’s about to treble his wage and set his family up for life. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, J*B said:

He’s about to treble his wage and set his family up for life. 

10 goals in 149 appearances for Rovers. He is decent squad player - nothing more. Should have accepted the £4M offered by Bournemouth in January. Will be very interesting to see if they come in for him again now that they are in the Premier league

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, dallydally said:

10 goals in 149 appearances for Rovers. He is decent squad player - nothing more. Should have accepted the £4M offered by Bournemouth in January. Will be very interesting to see if they come in for him again now that they are in the Premier league

Never saw any suggestion Bournemouth were offering £4m?.

44 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Does that mean by process of deduction the other two will be staying? Excellent news if true.

Good luck to Rothwell. Largely mismanaged by Mowbray and should do well under a different manager.

• Like 3

Just now, Gav said:

Just over £3m was turned down by meddling owners.

Never saw £3m quoted either but fair enough - I thought the figure mentioned was a derisory £1m.

The owners were quite correct to turn it down at the time imo. Imagine if Rothwell had gone on to star for Bournemouth and we'd have dropped out of the play offs. We did anyway as things turned out but no-one could realistically have predicted Mowbray and the team would have performed so abysmally in the second half of the season.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing sometimes.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Never saw £3m quoted either but fair enough - I thought the figure mentioned was a derisory £1m.

The owners were quite correct to turn it down at the time imo. Imagine if Rothwell had gone on to star for Bournemouth and we'd have dropped out of the play offs. We did anyway as things turned out but no-one could realistically have predicted Mowbray and the team would have performed so abysmally in the second half of the season.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing sometimes.

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/sport/19886613.amp/

They should have let the manager manage, £3.5m could have made the difference as we all know his money buys have mostly been outstanding. 

1 hour ago, Gav said:

You can’t deny TMs record.

He struggles to manage a game for an entire match never mind an entire season.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gav said:

We're back where we were in the 80's aren't we Gav?

After winning the Premiership. Shameful.

2 hours ago, Gav said:

Boro didn't have a small squad though...

9 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Jesus. 28 and had one good season.  That would be up there with Luke Varney and Chris Brown 👌

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dallydally said:

His goals record is poor considering Bradley Johnson got 6 in a lot fewer games!

• Like 1

The club have officially announced the departure of Rothwell and Johnson, so there is a pulse somewhere in the communications department.

It does however lead me to think that the owners might very well be thinking about or thought at least, that Mowbray might stay, as there is still nothing about him leaving. 

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

We shouldn't be after anyone until a Manager is appointed. 

• Like 9