BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbray, the summer and beyond

42 minutes ago, 47er said:

I goal in 8 games might have something to do with it Gav. The effects of that pre-Christmas run are fast wearing out.

36 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I’ve had enough of rewarding failure at the club. Would they keep you on at your place of work if you kept fucking up ?  Most of the places I worked at you were only as good as the last job that went through the door. He’s had 5 years. If we are really lucky we’ll be exactly where we are now in another 5 years.if we’re unlucky …

Putting things into perspective, because we’ve been through the tough times, you must have hated Saxton and Don during 80’s?

We always fell short after Christmas, because we had a mid/lower table budget, nothing has changed other than the assumption we are still a big cheese in English football when Venkys have proved we are not...

Edited by Gav

11 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

If Mowbray stays, we can forget about the Premier League. It's now or never under him and it's sliding towards never.

I've long held the view, going back a few years, that he isn't arsed about promotion and nothing he has said or done from January onwards has come close to dispelling that belief. Imagine what a winner like Wilder, or any manager with a bit of gumption, would have done in January with his team in 2nd. In with a real chance of nabbing 2nd come the end with a couple of smart additions.

If you don't really want to go up, you do what Mowbray did. Bring in a couple of fillers, a kid on loan, a favour for a relative, shrug your shoulders and say "let's see what happens". Was Markanday a signing with promotion in mind? Was Hedges? Were they balls.

He had some money to spend, maybe not a substantial amount, but it was there as we are told we had bids in for Dembele and Styles. He saw Markanday pick up an injury, he was offered strikers and chose not to sign any. His own words, so how can we now play the 'hard luck, we had no money' line?

Let's be honest. This lot's end game is to develop young players and sell them on for a profit, all while sitting comfortably in mid table. Promotion doesn't even come into it. We're being played for fools. Our form post Fulham and being in 2nd them left them flummoxed and forced them to face a stick or twist scenario. A chance to show us their intent. We all saw the extent of it.

It's not all on Mowbray, as the clueless in Pune are massively to blame too. None of them want it. The players do, the fans do, but the clowns infesting the club aren't arsed. I had softened my stance towards Mowbray during our run, thinking he had changed and found a formula. I convinced myself he had a plan when January arrived. I even believed him when he said the sale of Rothwell would help him sign a couple of attackers. That was stupid of me.

The news of the bids we had in, our lack of goals and his clever dick, after the event comments on the strikers he chose to ignore have done it for me. He has to go in the summer, no matter where we finish. He is not a winner.

Good post and matches my views apart from 'softened my stance' where I never did although I do remember giving him credit after a win ...once at least.

Meanwhile the Mowbray fanboys are ecstatic with 2 good months which still leaves us top 6 after an appalling 2022 only because the rest of this league is below average shite.

I would not use the scout's report posted by someone else as arse paper.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I wouldn't know where to begin.

Why? 

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

No one would come out and say "thank god I am away from that idiot, I hated working for him" is he?

Not saying that working for Mowbray isn't good, it may well be, but take such statements with a pinch of salt.

Well if that's your way of thinking then fair enough. Have to agree to disagree

Saxton and McKay never had the 80s equivalent of today's 5 million to spend on one player. Twice.

I must have dreamt being at Selhurst to watch a playoff final 2nd leg and see us robbed by a referee. Probably an age thing, memory and stuff like that.

And the other challenges of that time.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Saxton and McKay never had the 80s equivalent of today's 5 million to spend on one player. Twice.

I must have dreamt being at Selhurst to watch a playoff final 2nd leg and see us robbed by a referee. Probably an age thing, memory and stuff like that.

And the other challenges of that time.

You should read the posts before jumping in.

"1 goal in 8 games" Sack him

"I’ve had enough of rewarding failure at the club" Sack him

Nobody mentioned funds, just failure, did you want them sacked? 

Edited by Gav

For me, irrespective of what happens between now and the end of the season, I'd be quite happy to part ways with Mowbray. 

In the unlikely event he gets us promoted, it would be practically unthinkable to let him leave but this season has shown, even though he got us into 2nd place, he's still the same old stubborn Tony, making the same old mistakes and frustrating decisions.

As JHRover says at the start of the thread, Venkys ambition will stretch as far as ringing the same agency up and seeing which washed up has been we can rescue off the managerial scrapheap. Pulis, undoubtedly would be installed as our new gaffer.

The squad needs an alarming amount of work and Venkys won't provide much backing, FFP the obvious blocker/excuse. 

In any case, we are in serious trouble next season.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Gav said:

Putting things into perspective, because we’ve been through the tough times, you must have hated Saxton and Don during 80’s?

We always fell short after Christmas, because we had a mid/lower table budget, nothing has changed other than the assumption we are still a big cheese in English football when Venkys have proved we are not...

if saxton or mackay had been backed with the funds mowbray has received over 5 years they`de have got us promoted no problem,both of them were superior managers in every dept,both of them played attacking football with none of the turgid **** we`ve had to put up from mowbray,i still think he accidently hit on a winning formation this season after exhausting every other,then he ***** things up by not getting a back up centre forward in (markanday is not a striker btw),he`s a decent,honest human being,no doubt,but he`s a **** manager,nothing will convince me he is`nt

5 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

if saxton or mackay had been backed with the funds mowbray has received over 5 years they`de have got us promoted no problem,

Simply not true, Don Mackay had the biggest budget in world football and was sacked because results were crap.

4 minutes ago, Gav said:

Simply not true, Don Mackay had the biggest budget in world football and was sacked because results were crap.

Not strictly true it wasn't all results based he was sacked because one of the biggest names in world football had already been sounded out and said he fancied the job.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Gav said:

lol,i was`nt aware uncle jack gave don so much money even man utd,barcelona,real madrid and bayern munich were foaming with jealousy at our humungous budget,steve agnew,stuart munro and steve livingstone,must have made a massive hole in jacks wallet🤣

3 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Not strictly true it wasn't all results based he was sacked because one of the biggest names in world football had already been sounded out and said he fancied the job.

The claim was, if Don had been backed like Mowbray we'd have been promoted, thats not true, which ever way you slice it. 

Don couldn't spend the money and attract players that's why he fell on his sword.

At least he tried, if TM had that money he'd tell Venkys to spend it in India instead and him and Swag would spread a million around the squad !

9 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

lol,i was`nt aware uncle jack gave don so much money even man utd,barcelona,real madrid and bayern munich were foaming with jealousy at our humungous budget,steve agnew,stuart munro and steve livingstone,must have made a massive hole in jacks wallet🤣

Our first seroius bid was for Gary Lineker, a world record fee at the time, stop embarrassing yourself. 

Edited by Gav

47 minutes ago, Gav said:

You should read the posts before jumping in.

"1 goal in 8 games" Sack him

"I’ve had enough of rewarding failure at the club" Sack him

Nobody mentioned funds, just failure, did you want them sacked? 

To quote: ''because we had a mid/lower table budget''

Budget - Funds - get it?

We got to a playoff final and won the FMC. On what planet is that failure?

Edited by AllRoverAsia

1 hour ago, AllRoverAsia said:

McKay never had the 80s equivalent of today's 5 million to spend on one player.

9 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

To quote: ''because we had a mid/lower table budget''

Budget - Funds - get it?

Mackay had the biggest budget in world football Asia, I'm not sure what point you're trying to make?

You want Mowbray out on his piss poor budget sacked, but Mackey with his massive budget, trying to sign England striker Lineker, was doing a great job?

Edited by Gav

1 minute ago, Gav said:

The claim was, if Don had been backed like Mowbray we'd have been promoted, thats not true, which ever way you slice it. 

It doesn't need slicing it just needs telling as it was in factual form not rewriting to suit your argument.

Mackay didn't have those funds available for more than 5 mins, you've no idea whatsoever how it would have panned out had he had a season or 2 to go at it.

Fact is his drawing power couldn't match the spending power so he wasn't sacked on results really. Previous evidence of getting into the plays offs 3 seasons on the bounce with not much. Plus the players he was trying to bring in would suggest he'd have had a damn good go at it.

The main difference for me is the man was bold and ambitious way before Jack put the coin in. He was never happy to rest on his laurels and prattle on about journeys. He demanded the team punch above its weight, that has been missing here since the days of Allardyce.

It isn't back yet despite the lofty position.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JoeH said:

I'm told very different to this personally, but everyone hears different things I suppose.

I think the one thing we have learnt in recent months is that no one really knows what is going on behind the scenes. Just over a month ago, Rothwell was down on the south coast signing his deal at Bournemouth whilst simultaneously training at Brockhall. 

1 hour ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

He has outstayed his welcome by about 4 years and shows complete lack of ambition whenever we have a chance of something good , he is just bang bang bang average at this level 

Does that analysis warrant not being able to stand him?

How does he show a lack of ambition? Its the owners that show ambition or not by how much money they put in. You can question his competence although if we finish this season where we

Its quite clearly a post of hyperbole as this time 4 years ago we was about to clinch promotion. The season after was a comfortable finish, then we beat that by 4 places, then last season was shit and he should have gone. He didnt and unexpectedly he has us in the play offs, if we finish there he deserves credit that seemingly wont be forthcoming from many on here. If he doesnt make the play offs then by all means its time to look elsewhere.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gav said:

Mackay had the biggest budget in world football Asia, I'm not sure what point you're trying to make?

You want Mowbray out on his piss poor budget sacked, but Mackey with his massive budget, trying to sign England striker Lineker, was doing a great job?

You do the 'fake news' quite well.

I'll give you that.

Or you're pissed.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

You do the 'fake news' quite well.

I'll give you that.

Or you're pissed.

You can't hide the posts above Asia:

Here is what you said  -  McKay never had the 80s equivalent of today's 5 million to spend on one player

Gary Lineker he bid for

Sheringham he bid for

Andy Payton he bid for

David Speedie he bid for

Mike Newell be bid for

Over to you....

31 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

there was no way gary lineker was coming anywhere near ewood and stop making stuff up about world record fees and biggest budgets,you`re being rather stupid

Its frankly embarrassing that we have so called Rovers supporters on this site that have absolutely no idea about the history of the club.

Don Mackay bid for Gary Lineker in 1991 but Spurs turned it down, we had the biggest budget in world football and proved it when we bough Shearer from Southampton.

Now who is being stupid?

Edited by Gav

2 minutes ago, Gav said:

Its frankly embarrassing that we have so called Rovers supporters on this site that have absolutely no idea about the history of the club.

Don Mackay bid for Gary Lineker in 1991 but Spurs turned it down, we had the biggest budge in world football and proved it when we bough Shearer from Southampton.

Now who is looking stupid?

cut down on the funny fags mate,they don`t do you any good in the long run

• Like 2