BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Sutton or Newell. Who was better?

sutton a proper target man,newell had more skill but did`nt have the consistency of sutton

mind you i alwayd thought alan wright was just as good as lesaux,tbh i never liked the smart **** ****,even when he was playing for us,think he`s the kind of bloke who used to start fights in the school playground,then run off to tell the teacher

• Like 1

Newell was good and seemed to have a real affinity with the fans here, But Sutton was just a class above in ability and could probably have played more for England had he not shot himself in the foot there! and he also struggled with injuries, As with most players that leave us for big money we probably got the very best from him (yeh he was successful for Celtic, but the SPL is shite so it doesn't count)

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo
  • Like 3

Ok!

Not including Shearer! Who has been OUR best striker/centre forward since the Prem started?   (Because we've had a lot of bloody good uns over the years)

I say "our" because I mean who was great for our team during their time here (ie. goal scoring wise Rhodes was incredible for us, but did nothing after leaving, so he wasnt/isnt a great player but was great for us!)

2 hours ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

Newell was good and seemed to have a real affinity with the fans here, But Sutton was just a class above in ability and could probably have played more for England had he not shot himself in the foot there! and he also struggled with injuries, As with most players that leave us for big money we probably got the very best from him (yeh he was successful for Celtic, but the SPL is shite so it doesn't count)

Shearer obviously retained incredible form but how many players who after leaving the club went onto bigger and better things?  Not too many. Damien Duff.  Who else?

Edited by Nuttall is lost

Ok!

Not including Shearer! Who has been OUR best striker/centre forward since the Prem started?   (Because we've had a lot of bloody good uns over the years)

I say "our" because I mean who was great for our team during their time here (ie. goal scoring wise Rhodes was incredible for us, but did nothing after leaving, so he wasnt/isnt a great player but was great for us!)

Craig Bellamy by the same distance shearer was better than him

• Like 1

Ok!

matt jansen,he had it all,quick,two footed,good with his head,great finisher and superb awareness,it was tragic when he had his accident,though those two w*****s erikson and tord grip were to blame in a way,they had him in the final squad then decided to take keown instead,who did`nt even play a minute,pair of f******g muppets

• Like 2

I think Jansen would have to be after Bellamy for me. I think anyone picking Jansen over Bellamy has let sentimentality play apart. He was here longer and the” what could of been” factor plays apart. make no mistakes he was one hell of a striker but his personality/likeable nature compared to Bellamys coupled with the promotion /cup win  Jansen achieved could cloud judgement on actual ability as an out and out striker.  
If I could only have one player back at rovers I pick Jansen all day. If it was for one match I.e the play off final, Bellamy walks in , in front of Jansen 

• Like 3

Yakubu was quite the goalscoring beast for us especially considering it was an awful season with a terrible manager! 

Bellamy having probably the best run of his career in the short time he was with us, I'd also say Benni and Sants Cruz where a different class in their first seasons with us

Kevin Gallagher i always felt had his best season with us right at the end under Hodgson(i think🤔) couldn't believe how good he was that season, scored some real special goals and showed great skill and technique on the ball that i never knew he had! (as I'd not actually seen much of him play prior to that season due to injuries, etc..) 

Jansen 😞 poor fella, he had it all! And was getting better and better all the time,  Could have gone on to be something special but sadly we'll never know

Andy cole was in really good form for us and showing his class in his first season with us before his pal Dwight arrived

Even Mark hughes at around 38! was in good form for us and played a big role in us getting promoted

Bloody hell even Paul Dickov was brilliant for us for a season! 

I think over the years we've just always been a good club for strikers because we always create chances even when we're in poor form, so any half decent forward should score goals here

• Like 1

We've been lucky to see so many quality strikers at Rovers over the years. I love how we just seemed to pick up the next one and go again. Plenty that I was fond of, but I will go with Bellamy as second to Shearer.

He was explosive and could win games on his own. Boro at home springs to mind. Also, that goal at Portsmouth where he ran from the halfway line, beat two or three defenders and fired it left footed into the far top corner from a narrow angle. Wow. Quality. His pace gave us an edge that had not been seen before, nor has it been seen again since his departure.

On the subject of Rovers strikers, I really liked the Yak too. He was a good finisher, strong and difficult to knock off the ball. The awful state the club was in when he was here means memories of him at Rovers are somewhat tainted. I wish we had got him earlier when the club was in a better place.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

Ok!

His us surely a different thread, but that's simple, it was Bellamy, but he wasn't here long enough to impact the team in terms of long term success. 

He was as fast as King, with the finishing ability of Shearer n Garner. 

I was as sad when we sold him as I was happy when I heard we'd signed the missing link, Batty. 

• Like 1