BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Sutton or Newell. Who was better?

1 hour ago, garnersfags said:

Sutton was better, but Newell had a better relationship with Shearer, which was important betw 92 & 94....

That’s quite the claim. I know they had a better off field relationship but shearer and Sutton were known as the SAS for a reason. Nobody outside Blackburn remembers the Newell shearer partnership. I was to young to appreciate the newell partnership but I’d find it extraordinary if many agreed with you 

Edited by Oldgregg86

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Of course, a front two that will go down in history, but in reality the SAS was only really a thing for one season. And even in that fabled season Sutton lost form in the run-in.

I will have to take your words for it, quite shocked at that to be honest 

In 94/95 he scored just two goals from late November until the end of the season. 

In 95/96 he scored zero (though missed a lot of games through injury).

His goals started flowing again in 96/97 and 97/98 after Shearer left…

Edited by Mattyblue

4 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

In 94/95 he scored just two goals from late November until the end of the season. 

In 95/96 he scored zero (though missed a lot of games through injury).

I started going when hodgson was in charge and him a Gallagher where phenomenal. The only time I saw them was rarely on sky if I was at my dads friends house as we didn’t have it so a lot of what I’ve seen is clips, season reviews of goals and old sky footage etc. No one ever mentions newell it’s always the SAS. I bow to your superior wisdom 

Edited by Oldgregg86

9 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Of course, a front two that will go down in history, but in reality the SAS was only really a thing for one season. And even in that fabled season Sutton lost form in the run-in.

That was quite a stunning season though:

Shearer 34 goals and 13 assists

Sutton 15 goals and 10 assists

Sutton had just scored 25 and got 11 assists the season before with Norwich as well (I know that wasn't in the SAS)

1 minute ago, Oldgregg86 said:

I started going when hodgson was in charge and him a Gallagher where phenomenal. The only time I saw them was rarely on sky if I was at my dads friends house as we didn’t have it so a lot kid what I’ve seen is clips and old sky footage etc. No one ever mentions newell it’s always the SAS. I bow to your superior wisdom 

Newell was a quality front man. He could hold the ball up, run the flanks, bring others into the game and score some cracking goals. Scored one of the fastest ever Champions league hat trick for Rovers against Rosenberg.

Sutton could do that as well, but was quite a bit more mobile than Newell. Sutton was the better of two top players.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Nuttall is lost said:

What was the issue between Sutton and Shearer.  Sutton says Shearer didn;t like him for whatever reason.   Seems odd as at the time they looked good pals ont he pitch.

personality clash i think,plus newell and shearer were best mates,as with sutton and shearer,andy cole and teddy sheringham hated each other,but it did`nt show on the pitch

23 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

That was quite a stunning season though:

Shearer 34 goals and 13 assists

Sutton 15 goals and 10 assists

Sutton had just scored 25 and got 11 assists the season before with Norwich as well (I know that wasn't in the SAS)

It sure was.

‘The SAS’ became a phenomenon in those early months of 94/95, it is just probably slightly forgotten that Sutton started the season like a train and then the goals dried up in the second half of the season (now what modern parallels can we draw 🤔)

Edited by Mattyblue

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

It sure was.

‘The SAS’ became a phenomenon in those early months of 94/95, it is just probably slightly forgotten that Sutton started the season like a train and then the goals dried up in the second half of the season (now what modern parallels can we draw 🤔)

The only goals he scored int he 2nd half of the season was after 13 seconds away to Everton and against QPR away.  Newell had a very good 95/96 season and was allowed leave at the same time as Shearer.

4 hours ago, den said:

Newell was a quality front man. He could hold the ball up, run the flanks, bring others into the game and score some cracking goals. Scored one of the fastest ever Champions league hat trick for Rovers against Rosenberg.

Sutton could do that as well, but was quite a bit more mobile than Newell. Sutton was the better of two top players.

Id completely forgot about that hat trick! That was something 

Mind you i have tried to banish all memory of that chamions league mess out of my m8nd over the years

1 hour ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

Id completely forgot about that hat trick! That was something 

Mind you i have tried to banish all memory of that chamions league mess out of my m8nd over the years

The most excitinggroup ever.  Spartak Moscow, Legia and Rosenborg.  You win the Premiership and get that shite.   It was an embarrassing effort led by Ray Harford who couldn;t manage a good shite

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Nuttall is lost said:

What was the issue between Sutton and Shearer.  Sutton says Shearer didn;t like him for whatever reason.   Seems odd as at the time they looked good pals ont he pitch.

Quite possibly because Sutton off the field was and probably still is a complete cockwomble.

22 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

That’s quite the claim. I know they had a better off field relationship but shearer and Sutton were known as the SAS for a reason. Nobody outside Blackburn remembers the Newell shearer partnership. I was to young to appreciate the newell partnership but I’d find it extraordinary if many agreed with you 

According to Niclas Gudmundsson it wasn't just that Shearer and Newell were mates, but that Shearer didn't like the competition from Sutton and wanted to be sole top dog. He more or less had the run of the club at that point, and got his wish. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Quite possibly because Sutton off the field was and probably still is a complete cockwomble.

You sure it wasn;t the other way around?

I liked Shearer (obviously) but I imagine he has an ego.  Made Keegan take the number 9 shirt off Ferdinand at Newcastle, had a punch up with Gillespie and had a falling out with Gullitt. 

• Moderation Lead
21 minutes ago, Nuttall is lost said:

You sure it wasn;t the other way around?

I liked Shearer (obviously) but I imagine he has an ego.  Made Keegan take the number 9 shirt off Ferdinand at Newcastle, had a punch up with Gillespie and had a falling out with Gullitt. 

If Shearer had or has an ego, it’s probably justified. He was better than all those players mentioned and he’s the all time PL scorer.

4 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

If Shearer had or has an ego, it’s probably justified. He was better than all those players mentioned and he’s the all time PL scorer.

Mm, wasn’t  Keegan European footballer of the year ? Gullit was an amazing player in his prime. He could play anywhere on the pitch an look a world beater.