BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Sutton or Newell. Who was better?

• Moderation Lead
24 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Mm, wasn’t  Keegan European footballer of the year ? Gullit was an amazing player in his prime. He could play anywhere on the pitch an look a world beater.

To clarify, by players, I meant those he was playing with at that time I.E Gillespie and Ferdinand. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nuttall is lost said:

Do tell

I've heard a few stories about him from his time at Celtic. If there's one place you don't play 'Billy Big Boots', its Glasgow.

However, the one I have first hand knowledge of, because I was there, is from Blackburn. His wife had a baby at the same time as my sister. He tried to have the maternity ward cleared of visitors to allow him 'peace' to visit his wife and baby.  He pretty much said to the Ward Sister "Don't you know who I am?"......

7 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I've heard a few stories about him from his time at Celtic. If there's one place you don't play 'Billy Big Boots', its Glasgow.

However, the one I have first hand knowledge of, because I was there, is from Blackburn. His wife had a baby at the same time as my sister. He tried to have the maternity ward cleared of visitors to allow him 'peace' to visit his wife and baby.  He pretty much said to the Ward Sister "Don't you know who I am?"......

Ok if true its a bit of a dick manouevre.  Is Shearer a nice guy?  He was my hero but you look at his interviews from 92-96 and his interviews are so boring.  In a deadpan monotone voice: ''Its nice to be top of the league but its early days yet...''

Shearer nice but dim.

If I was to guess guessing from that championshp winning squad I'd say Batty was probably someone who I imagine I wouldn;t like but then you might meet them and have your preconceptions changed.

2 hours ago, Nuttall is lost said:

Ok if true its a bit of a dick manouevre.  Is Shearer a nice guy?  He was my hero but you look at his interviews from 92-96 and his interviews are so boring.  In a deadpan monotone voice: ''Its nice to be top of the league but its early days yet...''

Shearer nice but dim.

If I was to guess guessing from that championshp winning squad I'd say Batty was probably someone who I imagine I wouldn;t like but then you might meet them and have your preconceptions changed.

Batty had absolutely zero interest in football. Still doesn’t. Doesn’t make him a bad person though. 
As for Shearer, he’s been media trained to within an inch of his life. You say he seems boring but who among us would turn down the chance of a pint with him?

Another one who is a bit of a cock from the premier league winning team is the captain. 

The flip side to all of that is that the likes of Hendry, Ripley, Atkins, Wilcox, Gale, Flowers, Pearce etc are really down to earth blokes. 

• Like 1

Sutton was the better individual player definitely but Newell the better team player, club man. Sutty just clicked on the pitch with Shearer though what a partnership that was. It needed Ripley and Wilcox to thrive off.

Heard a few things about Sutton it does sound as if he was a bit of an arrogant plonker but winners are often like that.  Also heard Newelly liked putting it about a bit, not his ego...

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Batty had absolutely zero interest in football. Still doesn’t. Doesn’t make him a bad person though. 
As for Shearer, he’s been media trained to within an inch of his life. You say he seems boring but who among us would turn down the chance of a pint with him?

Another one who is a bit of a cock from the premier league winning team is the captain. 

The flip side to all of that is that the likes of Hendry, Ripley, Atkins, Wilcox, Gale, Flowers, Pearce etc are really down to earth blokes. 

I've met Sherwood a couple of times and both times found him a  really nice bloke and good craic.

Shearer was roundly booed when he left the club which was silly and immature from the Rovers fans.   I recall  a few years later he scored for Newcastle at Ewood and had a go at the fans in a post match interview saying he has waited a few years to stick it to the Blackburn fans.

As I said maybe a lot wont agree but I think Shearer should have a statue at Ewood.   Its a pity you dont tend to see much of Dalglish and Shearer back at Ewood for games considering the figures they were for the club albeit for a short period of time.

1 hour ago, Nuttall is lost said:

Shearer was roundly booed when he left the club which was silly and immature from the Rovers fans.   I recall  a few years later he scored for Newcastle at Ewood and had a go at the fans in a post match interview saying he has waited a few years to stick it to the Blackburn fans.

As I said maybe a lot wont agree but I think Shearer should have a statue at Ewood.   Its a pity you dont tend to see much of Dalglish and Shearer back at Ewood for games considering the figures they were for the club albeit for a short period of time.

Yeah, that was after the cup game at Ewood in 2000. I saw a video of it online just the other day, interview included. I still can't my head around the booing and can see why he was miffed.

On Shearer, United fans to this day still chant about Cantona. Arsenal fans have a chant for Vieira and one for Henry that I hear now and then. It always makes me wonder why we don't have a Shearer chant. It's a surprise we don't have any, unless I'm mistaken.

I could be wrong, but the last time I remember hearing his name sung at Ewood was at Tony Parkes' Testimonial game back in 2005, a game in which Shearer scored. Have there been any Shearer chants on the road, in recent years?

• Like 1

Shearer scored a milestone goal for Newcastle at Ewood in 2002 in a bizarre 5-2 win for Rovers (I think Newcastle had a man sent off very early in the game). That goal made it 2-2 on the day so it wasn't natural for Rovers fans to cheer the goal and yet all 4 sides of the ground rose and applauded him. That was the day he forgave the Rovers fans. I don't condone the booing of him after he left but equally, you don't say "I'm going nowhere" and then promptly fuck off somewhere! (Boyhood club or not). 

He's been back to Ewood plenty of times since.

It does irk me that whenever they list great premier league players/goalscorers, they almost always show Shearer in that black and white striped monstrosity. I take consolation from the fact that, good as he was for Newcastle, Rovers fans saw the best of him in that 4 year spell.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Shearer scored a milestone goal for Newcastle at Ewood in 2002 in a bizarre 5-2 win for Rovers (I think Newcastle had a man sent off very early in the game). That goal made it 2-2 on the day so it wasn't natural for Rovers fans to cheer the goal and yet all 4 sides of the ground rose and applauded him. That was the day he forgave the Rovers fans. I don't condone the booing of him after he left but equally, you don't say "I'm going nowhere" and then promptly fuck off somewhere! (Boyhood club or not). 

He's been back to Ewood plenty of times since.

It does irk me that whenever they list great premier league players/goalscorers, they almost always show Shearer in that black and white striped monstrosity. I take consolation from the fact that, good as he was for Newcastle, Rovers fans saw the best of him in that 4 year spell.

He was an unbelievable player.  I think he scored in almost every home game in 95/96.  Incredible.

I think from his point of view he would have stayed had Dalglish stayed and the club was still in good hands.  He could see it was a sinking ship under Harford and the lack of signings in 1995 he probably felt the club was only going to go one direction.

It would have been interesting had Walker told Newcastle.  You can have Shearer but only if you give us Keegan. That would have been a great appointment!

Was always disappointed in Dalglish taking the Newcastle job. He wanted no more day to day activity supposedly and then takes that job.  Interestingly his last good job was at Blackburn.  Was a bit of a disaster after that although he achieved some notable results at Newcastle he was ultimately a poor appointment,

• Like 1

I’ve met Shearer and Sutton. Sutton seemed a decent bloke, Shearer was on his own planet, not in a terrible way. He just seemed very focused and elsewhere.

Dalglish, Mimms, Flowers all really nice blokes. Flowers an especially friendly person. Dalglish not the dour bloke he was made out to be. Somehow I managed to be in Dalglish’s god like presence twice and was on Granada news shaking hands with him when I was 16.

Tony Parkes, Simon Garner, Glenn Keeley down to Earth. Keeley is funny.

Berg very quiet. Bohinen the same.

Hendry seemed okay.

Sherwood, the loudest bast*** at Ewood.

Wish I’d have met Jack Walker, I shook his hand when we went up in 92.

Never net Newell sadly.