BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

David Raya - Spanish international

There’s a lot of talk about how many points he cost us. No one seems to remember the great saves that earned us points. All goalkeepers errors are highlighted. How many miss controlled passes, miss hit shots, headers does an outfield player make in the course of a match. He did have a difficult time, he was young, and what did our manager do? Dropped him and hung him out to dry. If your boss did that would you stick or twist? I know what I did in my working life - on to another challenge!!!

• Like 5

I’ve watched it several times, and my conclusion is that David like all modern goalkeepers don’t stay on their line. They push out and like to play as a keeper/sweeper. I would say that the defender was more to blame. His header should have been to touch, for either a throw-in or corner.

4 hours ago, Spartakfenni said:

I’ve watched it several times, and my conclusion is that David like all modern goalkeepers don’t stay on their line. They push out and like to play as a keeper/sweeper. I would say that the defender was more to blame. His header should have been to touch, for either a throw-in or corner.

Quite a few modern defenders have forgotten the basic principal of, get the ball to safety, then defend whatever comes next. 

Edited by rigger
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...
1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Getting his replacement in before his big money move ? A very Brentford style signing.

Unlike us who sold him to pay for Sam Gallagher, then got a last minute loan keeper in to take his place.

Still, we're now going to "following the Brentford model"  according to some 🙄

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Jumping the gun slightly here, but did we ever establish how large the sell-on clause was for Raya when we sold him?

I think we got an indication at some point, something like 15-20% I think. Could be misremembering though.

• 3 months later...
19 minutes ago, Trinidad Rover said:

Another feather in our academy cap.

Congratulations and good luck to him. 

Will go down as one of TM’s worst judgement calls…..

I know what you mean, but we can't just erase from our memories some of his howling errors, which were sickening at times...e.g. from behind the Rovers goal at Griffin Park!

I guess young players do make mistakes and the question is about how long we nurture them until we can sell for bigger bucks.

Mind you, some of the clowns that followed were a lot worse. Then came TK and the rest is history!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Apropos of nothing, saw that Walton fella flapping at one in a third division game the other week…

I'm surprised he got that close to it... 

In some ways this horrific mistake has been mitigated by Kaminski being here. Issues are that it was an unnecessary change, we missed out on much larger money for him and of course the Walton debacle which was a complete handicap to the team. Only one season but my word he was rubbish and cost us big time. Without his howlers, who knows where we would have been. 

• Like 1