BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

David Raya - Spanish international

• Backroom
3 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

I'm surprised he got that close to it... 

In some ways this horrific mistake has been mitigated by Kaminski being here. Issues are that it was an unnecessary change, we missed out on much larger money for him and of course the Walton debacle which was a complete handicap to the team. Only one season but my word he was rubbish and cost us big time. Without his howlers, who knows where we would have been. 

Seeing as TM was in charge it would still would have been outside of the playoffs tbf.

As for Raya wanting to leave - considering how Mowbray treated him I'm not surprised.

Edited by DE.
  • Like 6

6 minutes ago, DE. said:

Seeing as TM was in charge it would still would have been outside of the playoffs tbf.

As for Raya wanting to leave - considering how Mowbray treated him I'm not surprised.

Agree with second point and probably agree with the first too. Certainly the fact  he messed up every season in different circumstances is huge evidence suggesting that he would have messed it up anyway.

But I also recall we lost a few tight games due to his howlers and do wonder what might have been. 

You have to say releasing Raya was a mistake; it seemed obvious at the time and it's been proved true with his success at Brentford. He made some mistakes as all young goalkeepers do but the talent was there and it was clear he was going to develop into a top goalkeeper. When you consider who was taking his place at the time he left and the subsequent appalling replacements Raya's departure has to go down as one of Tony's worst decisions 

• Like 7

• Backroom
48 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Agree with second point and probably agree with the first too. Certainly the fact  he messed up every season in different circumstances is huge evidence suggesting that he would have messed it up anyway.

But I also recall we lost a few tight games due to his howlers and do wonder what might have been. 

Rest assured Mowbray would have found a way to take us into a death spiral either way, even if we had a time-travelling prime Brad in goal.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1864roverite said:

HE WANTED TO LEAVE!!!!

Hardly surprising when he got dropped for Leutwiler. One is going to the World Cup with Spain, one is sat on the bench for Oldham in the conference.

I’ll counter your oft-repeated, always capitalised argument with this…

Mowbray wanted rid of him. He is on record as saying he wanted to raise money to buy Gallagher, and he bigged up that bag of shit Walton to high heaven. Apparently “commanding his area” was more important than basic hand-eye coordination.

However you dress it up, selling Raya for £3 million was dreadful business for Rovers.

Edited by Miller11
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Maybe comparing the Raya that was here with Kaminski but it looks like Raya has improved significantly at Brentford. If they were both to be sold tomorrow Raya would be worth a good bit more in terms of transfer fees I suspect.

I stick by my statement.

I think the Raya situation is a good example of how because it became so sour with Mowbray in the end, that people struggle to be fair in their analysis of things.

It is easy to forget how error prone he was in the season prior to being sold but even so, we definitely sold him for less than we should have done. Then came the worst part, loaning in the inept Walton for a season.

There seems to be no focus however on how he then went and signed in my opinion a better keeper for a seventh of the price.

3 hours ago, Miller11 said:

Hardly surprising when he got dropped for Leutwiler. One is going to the World Cup with Spain, one is sat on the bench for Oldham in the conference.

I’ll counter your oft-repeated, always capitalised argument with this…

Mowbray wanted rid of him. He is on record as saying he wanted to raise money to buy Gallagher, and he bigged up that bag of shit Walton to high heaven. Apparently “commanding his area” was more important than basic hand-eye coordination.

However you dress it up, selling Raya for £3 million was dreadful business for Rovers.

ffs you need to get your head around the fact that he asked for a transfer and no matter who the player is or how important you might think he is you have to let him go. At the time the £3mplus add on takes the deal to over £5m is good business for a player who cost is nothing 

3 hours ago, Mike E said:

After...

After Brentford put a bid in for him - he asked for a transfer after the first bid was declined in order to get his desired move hence a second bid and the deal done - it was faff all to do with being dropped it was his wish to leave and it was granted 

Actually it was a lot more to do with his wages being a grand a week and our reluctance to offer him a new deal. Mowbray dropping him and publicly calling him out when our ineffective centre backs were far more of an issue wouldn’t have helped him feel wanted either.

Obviously he wanted to leave, just like the three in the summer, but you always act like the reasons why they want to leave are beyond the control of Rovers.

• Like 3

• Backroom
3 hours ago, 1864roverite said:

After Brentford put a bid in for him - he asked for a transfer after the first bid was declined in order to get his desired move hence a second bid and the deal done - it was faff all to do with being dropped it was his wish to leave and it was granted 

It was everything to do with being dropped and publicly called out by Mowbray. All this, while stuck on £1k/week when he was (and clearly is) worth so much more.

You're naive if you think otherwise.

• Like 5

Raya left Rovers because we were treading water under Mowbray and Brentford were a well-run club who seemed to be on the up and have proved that to be correct since.

Good luck to David. I hope he does well.

Walton is 1st choice at Ipswich who are in the top two of League 1. He must be playing better than when he was with us.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Mike E said:

It was everything to do with being dropped and publicly called out by Mowbray. All this, while stuck on £1k/week when he was (and clearly is) worth so much more.

You're naive if you think otherwise.

I am sorry Mike but if you believe what you posted you are seriously off mark! He was definitely on more than the salary you say for one and again the bid from Brentford (1st) came well before he was “dropped”!  

• Backroom
10 hours ago, 1864roverite said:

I am sorry Mike but if you believe what you posted you are seriously off mark! He was definitely on more than the salary you say for one and again the bid from Brentford (1st) came well before he was “dropped”!  

Article dated 18/05/19, about Brentford's first enquiry (let alone bid). https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7044663/amp/Brentford-chase-Blackburn-goalkeeper-David-Raya.html

Barcelona-born Raya, 23, has been Blackburn's regular number one for the past two seasons. 

However, he was dropped in April after a dip in form and Blackburn manager Tony Mowbray is looking to add a new keeper himself.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, 1864roverite said:

You're posting on Raya on 2 threads! On the Dingle thread you argued we had to sell him to meet FFP demands!