BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray's Reign...& is he off to Sunderland ?

If we are only paying those wages to players then where the feck is the rest of it going ?

I'm not having those figures for a min although iv'e long thought a few million per season goes through the club to elsewhere. I'll never alter that opinion and i know the wages will have come down focusing on youth and ridding deadwood.

However that doesn't add up at all with c20/30 million annual loses still.

• Like 4

Lenihan had already made the breakthrough by the time Mowbray came along. I think it was Lambert who brought him into the first team.

If my recollection is accurate people like Raya, Travis and Nyambe were also well on the way to the first team by the time Mowbray arrived. Granted they've played a lot and become integral players under Mowbray but that could well have been the case under any manager. Not sure it is some particular skill or vision of Mowbray's that has resulted in this.

If anything I think I'd credit Gary Bowyer more for their development as all were nurtured in the u23s under his management. 

Put any manager in charge of a club for 5+ years and there will be players making the breakthrough from the academy to the first team. There's no reason to believe this is any greater or less under Mowbray than it would have been under any other manager.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Herbie6590 said:

On the point of “overachievement”…there is a strong correlation between wage bill and league position…I’ll let the statisticians argue causation.

https://sqaf.club/how-much-do-championship-players-earn/

D5492FEC-C46C-47F1-8D1D-FC2BE6E4A9B2.jpeg

Anything higher than 17th therefore could be argued as overachievement.

Luton are bottom of that table. They are 3rd in the real one. If we are overachieiving, what are they doing?

We also have one of, if not the, best academy in the league which massively underpins our squad strength. Especially since we keep graduates on low wages.

QP, Boro, Huddersfield all also doing much better than their wage bill indicates. Stoke, WBA, Reading and Cardiff doing much worse.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

If we are only paying those wages to players then where the feck is the rest of it going ?

I'm not having those figures for a min although iv'e long thought a few million per season goes through the club to elsewhere. I'll never alter that opinion and i know the wages will have come down focusing on youth and ridding deadwood.

However that doesn't add up at all with c20/30 million annual loses still.

Agreed, don't think that 5.6 mill figure is right at all. There are running costs, bonuses and taxes of course, and the academy is about 2.5 mill (3.5 but we get a 1 mill grant), but it's not like we don't have any income at all. I also don't think our average wage is about 4k p/w.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Herbie6590 said:

On the point of “overachievement”…there is a strong correlation between wage bill and league position…I’ll let the statisticians argue causation.

Some surprising figures there. I suppose that teams in the championship are often in periods of transition, and it looks like there are other “journeys” going on… plenty of toing and froing between (relative) feast and famine.

The clear out last summer has evidently trimmed a huge chunk off our wage bill. It looks as though we are benefiting from our heavy use of academy products, and it’s certainly a cost effective way of fielding a competitive team in this division. Makes it all the more frustrating that we don’t seem to have an effective strategy in place to keep them long term or realise a transfer fee close to their value.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, arbitro said:

I always think supporters who say we are over achieving just lack ambition and are in a comfort zone, happy to be mid table plodders. More than likely people who hide behind stats after every defeat and take Mowbrays word as Gospel.

Maybe its because they have an alternative view to some, or different thoughts on how the club is managed or simply disagree with other commentators.

3 hours ago, Herbie6590 said:

Really should put things into perspective, but don't hold your breath Herbie.

Edited by Gav

49 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Makes it all the more frustrating that we don’t seem to have an effective strategy in place to keep them long term or realise a transfer fee close to their value.

Hopefully the club have realised this now and going forward we will start protecting our assets.

Travis,Buckley, Carter and Wharton have all signed longer term deals in the last 12 month

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JHRover said:

Lenihan had already made the breakthrough by the time Mowbray came along. I think it was Lambert who brought him into the first team.

If my recollection is accurate people like Raya, Travis and Nyambe were also well on the way to the first team by the time Mowbray arrived. Granted they've played a lot and become integral players under Mowbray but that could well have been the case under any manager. Not sure it is some particular skill or vision of Mowbray's that has resulted in this.

If anything I think I'd credit Gary Bowyer more for their development as all were nurtured in the u23s under his management. 

Put any manager in charge of a club for 5+ years and there will be players making the breakthrough from the academy to the first team. There's no reason to believe this is any greater or less under Mowbray than it would have been under any other manager.

When Mowbray came, Lenihan was a very underwhelming utility player, he was crap in midfield, he has since become very much a centre back and a leader at the back.

Mowbray entrusted Raya to be our number 1 soon after he joined. Travis had not played senior football before Mowbray. Nyambe was only just breaking through and (contrary to popular belief) has pretty much been mainly first choice throughout.

We don't know if more or less development would have taken place without Mowbray, but lets at least credit him with developing the players that he has, which he has, undoubtedly.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, tomphil said:

There must be some massive disparity in wages if those figures are to believed considering what Dack. Gallagher, Brereton, Ayala will be on.

No wonder quite a few are looking at firing off.

i know for sure that dack is on 18 grand a week and he`s the top earner,the other senior players can`t  be to far behind that

• Like 1

Too early to say, depends how this season ends... If we don't reach the play offs and lose most of our key players because they're either out of contract, loan ending or likely to be sold asap(bbd) then I'd say going into the summer our first team squad will be just as weak as it was when he took over, if not weaker depending on what signings are made in the summer. 

Other than the run we went on earlier this season there haven't really been any exciting times under Mowbray where I've felt we could seriously be on to something! even getting promoted from league one felt like more of just a relief than an achievement! 

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo
  • Like 4

21 hours ago, Herbie6590 said:

Obviously not, but FWIW here's the source from the link in my original post...

https://capology.com/club/blackburn/salaries/

If you believe that website we're paying Sam Gallagher over 2 grand a week more than Harrison Reed is getting at Fulham....If true that's an absolute travesty.

Edited by Displaced Rover

53 minutes ago, Displaced Rover said:

If you believe that website we're paying Sam Gallagher over 2 grand a week more than Harrison Reed is getting at Fulham....If true that's an absolute travesty.

If a lot of those figures are true, there's a lot of travesties in there. There are some that definitely aren't up to date though, looking at the contract lengths. I sure hope we didn't make Edun our 8th highest earner though (7th highest that we own), or put two LBs in our top 7-8 earners.

7/10 for me.

If you look through the history of Blackburn Rovers, the club has never been blessed with an abundance of promotion campaigns, I think we've had 6'ish over 50yr period. Winning promotion from league 1 to Championship is constantly scoffed at on here as something thats beneath us, we're better than that, 'massive budget', illusions of Premiership grandeur from times long gone. When we scraped up through the playoffs in 1992 we had by the far the biggest budget, by far the best team and one the best managers in English football, should we have won the title? do we scoff at that achievement? Do we hell, we celebrate the hell out of it because promotion is promotion, they don't come along that often. Mowbray inherited an awful team from Coyle, a team lacking fitness, a team lacking discipline, ideas and any sort of quality. He picked that side up and had us promoted within 1 season, a tremendous effort from the dross Coyle was serving up and a night at Doncaster, as a Blackburn Rovers fan I'll never forget, superb stuff.

Since we made it back into the Championship its been steady progress in my opinion, we have a CEO who knows something about football, which is better than we've had for the past 10yrs, but that bar is set low. His player purchases when a fee is involved have been tremendous, he can spot a player, no doubt about that, the free transfers and loan market is a lottery, but we've almost hit that jackpot this season, sadly I feel we'll fall short, mainly due to lack of ambition, lack of investment and general "Couldn't care less" from our absent moronic owners.

This season has been the best season we've had since these morons took over, I've actually started to enjoy watching us again. We have exciting players like Dolan and Khedra who get you out of your seat, Travis kicking lumps out of the opposition and we have the calmness and quality of Van Hecke at the back and lets not forget Diaz who has gone from the ridiculous to the sublime in a season. 

Its been frustrating under Mowbray at times no doubt about that, team selection has bordered on bonkers, but thats happening across the leagues right now, maybe they know something we don't? The conditions he's working under, the absent owners, the lack of knowledge at boardroom level, the lack of footballing people in the club, the meddling from Pune, the lack of budget, the lack of communication, it kills businesses and its almost killed our great football club, its certainly ripped its heart out.

So all in all he's done a good job with some real highs and I'd have no problems at all with him remaining at the club next season, regardless of the outcome this season. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gav said:

7/10 for me.

If you look through the history of Blackburn Rovers, the club has never been blessed with an abundance of promotion campaigns, I think we've had 6'ish over 50yr period. Winning promotion from league 1 to Championship is constantly scoffed at on here as something thats beneath us, we're better than that, 'massive budget', illusions of Premiership grandeur from times long gone. When we scraped up through the playoffs in 1992 we had by the far the biggest budget, by far the best team and one the best managers in English football, should we have won the title? do we scoff at that achievement? Do we hell, we celebrate the hell out of it because promotion is promotion, they don't come along that often. Mowbray inherited an awful team from Coyle, a team lacking fitness, a team lacking discipline, ideas and any sort of quality. He picked that side up and had us promoted within 1 season, a tremendous effort from the dross Coyle was serving up and a night at Doncaster, as a Blackburn Rovers fan I'll never forget, superb stuff.

Since we made it back into the Championship its been steady progress in my opinion, we have a CEO who knows something about football, which is better than we've had for the past 10yrs, but that bar is set low. His player purchases when a fee is involved have been tremendous, he can spot a player, no doubt about that, the free transfers and loan market is a lottery, but we've almost hit that jackpot this season, sadly I feel we'll fall short, mainly due to lack of ambition, lack of investment and general "Couldn't care less" from our absent moronic owners.

This season has been the best season we've had since these morons took over, I've actually started to enjoy watching us again. We have exciting players like Dolan and Khedra who get you out of your seat, Travis kicking lumps out of the opposition and we have the calmness and quality of Van Hecke at the back and lets not forget Diaz who has gone from the ridiculous to the sublime in a season. 

Its been frustrating under Mowbray at times no doubt about that, team selection has bordered on bonkers, but thats happening across the leagues right now, maybe they know something we don't? The conditions he's working under, the absent owners, the lack of knowledge at boardroom level, the lack of footballing people in the club, the meddling from Pune, the lack of budget, the lack of communication, it kills businesses and its almost killed our great football club, its certainly ripped its heart out.

So all in all he's done a good job with some real highs and I'd have no problems at all with him remaining at the club next season, regardless of the outcome this season. 

All fair points Gav, but the situation he leaves us with has to be factored into his tenure.

Of those in bold, only one will be here next season. To say we've been on a five year 'journey' we're gonna need to sign 8 first team players in summer.

All the negative points of the TM tenure have been well aired over the years. I agree with all of them so no need to reiterate here. For me though there is a trump card that cancels out all the bad stuff.

IMO TM saved the club. It's easy to forget the filth that floated across our door before he arrived. Saying we were in dire straights doesn't come close to it. Hands up all those who didn't fear for the continued existence of the club.

We were a laughing stock and were rightly ridiculed. TM brought integrity and over time got rid of the crap players and agents.

That's one guys opinion and I know many will disagree but for me that earns him a 10.

Deducting points for the obvious footballing car crashes reduces his score to 7 for me.

When he goes I'll thank him for his service, agree with most on here that his time was up and then get back to worrying about who can replace him.

By the way, injuries have been a nightmare last season and this so I'll cut him some slack and say 7.5/10.

• Like 1