BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Best books and videos on Blackburn Rovers

As a kid had the 1992-93 season review bought in the old club shop which was in a terrace house on Nuttall Street at the time.  Loved that video.  Had these flames on the intro if I recall with a rip off of Alive & Kicking.  The guy doing the voice over would say for example ''We here at rovers look forward to 1993'' etc only to find out the same guy does voice overs for loads of clubs season reviews and says ''we here at Coventry city'' haha

The Best 1994-95  Christmas mid season review video was also a decent video.

The 1991-92 Rovers Return is on Youtube.

Read Rovers Revolution recently.  Very nice book but glossed over too many interesting topics for my liking such as the decline post 1995 etc...

Any autobiographies by ex players or other books that give real insight behind the scenes at the time? 

Its a pity that many old traditions such as match programmes and videos seem to have all but disappeared.

Is it Ray Stubbs that narrates those early 90s season reviews? Sounds like him. I ordered some of them fairly recently from here for really cheap - http://footydvd.co.uk . The site keeps going offline every now and then so just check but he’s back in business as of this month. Search ‘Blackburn Rovers’ in the top right search bar and the season reviews will come up from the 90s and 00/01. Great to have them. If you go to ‘Matches’ then ‘all clubs’ and find Rovers there are plenty of full 90 minute games to buy too.

As for books a while back somebody lent me a sort of diary of the title winning season that Shearer kept and then released. Anybody else had or read that? I’ve barely ever heard it mentioned so get the impression it’s pretty obscure..

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nuttall is lost said:

Its a pity that many old traditions such as match programmes and videos seem to have all but disappeared.

Videos, I suppose. But we are pretty much the only club from non league and up that I’ve come across without a programme…

3 minutes ago, Herbie6590 said:

I dont think so…I have another crate in the garage though…so watch this space !

There are over 40 highlights videos from 92/93 on the YouTube channel though…

Yes I had a look.  As a kid I had 'The Best' 1994/95 mid season video.  Havent seen that in 25 years.  You have that one also?  I saw you had one snippet out of it with regards the stadium rebuild.

Watched some of the title celebration match you had up at Ewood.  Who played int hat and was it a full match?  Always thought a bus parade was needed instead or alongside this event.

On 24/03/2022 at 09:42, frosty said:

As for books a while back somebody lent me a sort of diary of the title winning season that Shearer kept and then released. Anybody else had or read that? I’ve barely ever heard it mentioned so get the impression it’s pretty obscure..

I've read it! My little nephew (little at the time!)had it. Quite a good read.

I enjoy our own Parsons' Encylopaedia of Blackburn Rovers which I constantly dip into.

I've got Peter White"s Pictorial History 1875-1988---some great photos in that.

And I'm halfway through Michael Hodkinson's "History of Blackburn/Burnley Rivalry" which is brilliant.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, 47er said:

I've read it! My little nephew (little at the time!)had it. Quite a good read.

I enjoy our own Parsons' Encylopaedia of Blackburn Rovers which I constantly dip into.

I've got Peter White"s Pictorial History 1875-1988---some great photos in that.

And I'm halfway through Michael Hodkinson's "History of Blackburn/Burnley Rivalry" which is brilliant.

I’m part way through the Michael Hodkinson book also. I agree with you, it is brilliant. An exceptional book.

I’ve got quite a library of Rovers books.

I’ve got all the Harry Berry books plus the Peter White book you mentioned. Several by Mike Jackman

One you don’t see much is Fred O’Donague’s account of his time scouting in the North West including his time at Rovers, “ Scouting For Glory “.

I’ve got a couple by Dean Hayes - “ East Lancashire Derbies” and “ Blackburn Rovers an A to Z “.

One called “ Get A Grip “ by a fan called Tim Barlow. Basically about his time following Rovers.

” Football history told through newspaper headlines - Blackburn Rovers “,  interesting but over priced.

Two good ones - 

“ Blackburn Rovers - an illustrated history “ and “ Blackburn Rovers - the official encyclopaedia “

Plus a few players autobiographies - LeSaux, Big Sam, Jansen etc.

Years ago I also had a 45 rpm EP ( remember them ? ) of the commentary from the Rovers v Wolves FA Cup Final. The least said about that the better ! 

Edit - I’ve just spotted another book called “ They Think It’s All Rovers “.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Nuttall is lost said:

Yes I had a look.  As a kid I had 'The Best' 1994/95 mid season video.  Havent seen that in 25 years.  You have that one also?  I saw you had one snippet out of it with regards the stadium rebuild.

Nuttall, "The Best" is up on YouTube. If you type in 'Blackburn Rovers the best' it's the first video that appears. There are a number of old Rovers videos that have been kindly uploaded on the same channel by a poster. I'm enjoying watching them. There are a few season reviews, plus a couple of those that Miller has posted above.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Miller11 said:

I’ve just been sorting some boxes of stuff out and found these…57E73F64-0508-4652-9BBA-8203C98ABE88.thumb.jpeg.480a0744f56121ee72bf4453c1940e2d.jpeg

I also came across this which I thought was completely lost… 

D6602C98-95CD-4125-B492-341AC87C17EF.thumb.jpeg.ff0477546ccdcb33e1bc711f7211d9ed.jpeg

The promotion cassette - Superb stuff, Ronnie Clayton on commentary I seem to recall. 

1 hour ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

This is an old book that not too many people will have. Things About Blackburn Rovers by Harry Kay (Sports Editor of the Northern Daily Telegraph) from 1948. A friend of mine bought it for me at a car boot sale. Questions and Answers/Facts and Figures type book.

A20E4F7E-5225-425F-8FBA-EECAFDF92030.jpeg

52ACC25C-1174-4956-8E28-32E2ADCB8355.jpeg

I had that , not sure what happened to it ....

I've got that Harry Kay book from 1948 as well. It belonged to my dad and I inherited it.

I can tell you who beat whom in every FA Cup final of the 1950s but haven't a clue about the rest, even last years. For some reason I remember the 1966 and 1978 finals. That's all.