BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Blackpool (h) - 9/4/22

55 minutes ago, tomphil said:

He always seems to drag Dolan off, nice kid doesn't rock the boat off you come son for another of my baffling experiments.

Never seen a manager over complicate things so much just like yesterday with 5 min plus injury time to go. They are treating it like a practice session passing it sideways and backwards across the back in their own half and he just stands there.

I was unable to attend due to work yesterday but, from the reports on here, it takes me back to a must win game against Yeovil when Bowyer was in charge, and he instructed the players to protect a point at 0-0.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Boroblue said:

Pickering had a poor game but from the outset he was targeted by Critchley because he lacks pace. This went on throughout the game and Mowbray did nothing to address it. It needed dealing with and it wasn’t and gave Pickering a 90 minute nightmare.

Looked like a pub league left back yesterday. Amari Bell has been berated for better performances than that. Needs get Giles in at left wing back and give him time to settle in that position 

• Like 3

To be fair, Pickering for much of the season especially prior to his injury was good and a noticeable upgrade on Bell who put in performances similar to Pickering yesterday throughout his time here. Pickering was really poor yesterday and has correctly been criticised for it.

Giles was really poor when he came on, he looked like a rabbit in the headlights and had no urgency at all, often he just eventually kicked the ball aimlessly forward.

9 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

To be fair, Pickering for much of the season especially prior to his injury was good

No.  I watched umpteen games earlier this season where the left winger waltzed past him without much trouble.  He struggles or can't be arsed stopping crosses...Huddersfield away was a perfect example if you care to look back.  He's an average player, probably lower championship,  upper league 1...I suspect we will end up with a similar vanilla to replace the quality Nyambe.  Mogadon Out 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, martonrover said:

I was unable to attend due to work yesterday but, from the reports on here, it takes me back to a must win game against Yeovil when Bowyer was in charge, and he instructed the players to protect a point at 0-0.

Why go back that far, mowbray has threw loads of must win games into 1 point disasterclasses 

• Like 1

On 09/04/2022 at 21:54, riverholmes said:

These variations and changes have forced managers to think more about tactics. In my opinion, the game will evolve and we will see a return of 4-5-1 and more direct football, which can be very effective, as a counter-weight to the possession game.

Nonetheless, the changes in the game have, I believe, left many behind, including fans, players and managers. I feel lost, at times, understanding tactics. I believe that Tony Mowbray is also somewhat confused and left behind. 

Mowbray is often playing a traditional No.10 type, in Buckley, and a traditional No.9, in Gallagher, in a three man forward line, which simply isn't working. To my mind, Mowbray is tactically stuck in traditional tactics whilst attempting to match the formation of newer styles. 

Well put. 

I agree tactics have advanced dramatically, especially at the top level. Data is obviously a huge thing in football now too and all added together it can become very easy to get completely lost in a mindfield of ideas, information, analysis and ultimately confusion. 

It's no coincidence we were doing pretty well when it was all fairly simple. 3 big lads at the back put their heads and boots in. We had low possession and got the ball forward quickly. When we had the ball the aim was to get up the pitch and score a goal. If you can pull it off then there is obviously a place for the fluidity you see at the top level. But there's also a place for simplicity. We've struggled against clubs that are direct. Keinan Davies, Gary Medine, Matt Godden, the Luton lads.

Our battering ram plays on the wing. Physicality is a great leveler. Burnley have survived for years doing it. How many broken noses have our back 3 seen this year? Each one of them has had blood pouring out their faces in the last month or so. You can get away with it at this level even more. We've got some talented players. Keinan Davies especially. Could you imagine us if we'd loaned him in. What a difference he'd have made.

7 minutes ago, Wheelton Blue said:

Worse than Fulham or Morecambe?

I feel sorry for the supporters they deserve a better finish to the season. It's as if some rovers players have held up the white flag and surrendered. Mowbrays useless tactics dont help. From what started as a fantastic season has fizzled out to we surrender.

• Like 4

Season is completely over after this one. It really is criminal how this has slipped between our fingers. 

Sheff Utd
Bristol City
Reading
Blackpool
Coventry

We SHOULD have 15 points from those 5 after the way the games transpired. Instead we have 2.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, BigUts said:

Season is completely over after this one. It really is criminal how this has slipped between our fingers. 

Sheff Utd
Bristol City
Reading
Blackpool
Coventry

We SHOULD have 15 points from those 5 after the way the games transpired. Instead we have 2.

We need to seriously improve and totally agree things look bleak at the minute but all the other side's in contention are inconsistent.Like we all would have thought that Boro would have won at home at Hull but they lost.

It's only really Forest who are being consistent at the moment.

Good Friday and Easter Monday are huge. 

Luton v Forest 

Bournemouth v Boro  on the Friday 

Boro v Huddersfield on the monday.

For the past few weeks they've all been talking the talk but not walking the walk, manager AND players so lets not forget them in all this. Quite a few need to seriously look at themselves after Saturday but we probably all knew this might happen with so many off in summer.

Not doing themselves any favours though if they are wanting good moves but clearly minds are now on the beach and looking to not risk injury. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigUts said:

Sheff Utd
Bristol City
Reading
Blackpool
Coventry

Most of those sides with nothing to play for too...it's infuriating,we just can't cut the Mustard.

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194

2 hours ago, Geoff66 said:

I feel sorry for the supporters they deserve a better finish to the season. It's as if some rovers players have held up the white flag and surrendered. Mowbrays useless tactics dont help. From what started as a fantastic season has fizzled out to we surrender.

I'd be happy with a complete refresh in the summer, to be honest. 

Lots of deadwood in this squad - a number of players who haven't pulled their weight in 2022. 

A new manager and some new faces is a must. 

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

For the past few weeks they've all been talking the talk but not walking the walk, manager AND players so lets not forget them in all this. Quite a few need to seriously look at themselves after Saturday but we probably all knew this might happen with so many off in summer.

Not doing themselves any favours though if they are wanting good moves but clearly minds are now on the beach and looking to not risk injury. 

There's a few players that the finger should be pointed at but defensively the team is playing as well as any team that's hamstrung by dodgy tactics. The defence has been under far more pressure than the first half of the season..

It's difficult to blame the players who are constantly played out of position. I'll never understand why Mowbray insists on challenging players like that.

On 10/04/2022 at 11:57, Tom said:

We’ve approached Ainsworth in the past but wanted him to walk away from Wycombe on his own accord to avoid any compo which he didn’t want to entertain 

At least according to someone very close to him 

Too honourable for this lot then - we only seem to attract self serving snakes. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I'd be happy with a complete refresh in the summer, to be honest. 

Lots of deadwood in this squad - a number of players who haven't pulled their weight in 2022. 

A new manager and some new faces is a must. 

We need a new manager in the dug out next season. Lets regroup in the summer and get rid of those who no longer want to wear the shirt,

• Like 1

3 hours ago, islander200 said:

We need to seriously improve and totally agree things look bleak at the minute but all the other side's in contention are inconsistent.Like we all would have thought that Boro would have won at home at Hull but they lost.

It's only really Forest who are being consistent at the moment.

Good Friday and Easter Monday are huge. 

Luton v Forest 

Bournemouth v Boro  on the Friday 

Boro v Huddersfield on the monday.

How many chances have we been given in the last 13 games, other contenders slipping up and reliable rovers hand it back to them with a draw or defeat. After the weekends results they have been handed another slim chance.This really is the last chance saloon nothing less than 5 wins will do.

• Backroom
19 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

To be fair, Pickering for much of the season especially prior to his injury was good and a noticeable upgrade on Bell who put in performances similar to Pickering yesterday throughout his time here. Pickering was really poor yesterday and has correctly been criticised for it.

Giles was really poor when he came on, he looked like a rabbit in the headlights and had no urgency at all, often he just eventually kicked the ball aimlessly forward.

Not convinced he’s much better than Bell at all, a couple of decent games but he’s been poor for the most part and always looks a weak link. 

He has however scored a couple of decent goals but his deliveries have been disappointing 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Tom said:

Not convinced he’s much better than Bell at all, a couple of decent games but he’s been poor for the most part and always looks a weak link. 

He has however scored a couple of decent goals but his deliveries have been disappointing 

Bell was abysmal for years, Pickering was very good prior to his injury but has not been the same player since coming back into a struggling team. He is definitely an upgrade even if he has been poor lately, he looks particularly off the pace. 

Bell technically was really poor, Pickering is a lot tighter when the ball comes to him rather than shanking it out of play. Bell also used to allow crossed to come in freely, Pickering's main weakness is his lack of pace, his reading of the game prior to his injury tended to cover that well but lately not so much.

He has not really taken set pieces which is a bit surprising considering that Rothwell is not particularly good at them.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, booth said:

There's a few players that the finger should be pointed at but defensively the team is playing as well as any team that's hamstrung by dodgy tactics. The defence has been under far more pressure than the first half of the season..

It's difficult to blame the players who are constantly played out of position. I'll never understand why Mowbray insists on challenging players like that.

Why not leave the off in the summer slackers on the bench.

Yet another chance comes along for Rovers after last nights result, Luton losing 2-0. That puts rovers 2pts behind Sheff utd and Luton with 5 games to go. Somebody in the Rovers dressing room needs to motivate the rest of the team and get them playing the way we know they can.It's an important Easter weekend coming up anything short of 6pts and the dream has faded away.

1 hour ago, Geoff66 said:

Yet another chance comes along for Rovers after last nights result, Luton losing 2-0. That puts rovers 2pts behind Sheff utd and Luton with 5 games to go. Somebody in the Rovers dressing room needs to motivate the rest of the team and get them playing the way we know they can.It's an important Easter weekend coming up anything short of 6pts and the dream has faded away.

We’ve no self motivators in the dressing room because Mowbray hasn’t signed any.