BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Which utterly brilliant manager will we be delighted to welcome next?

Sharpe may well be correct there haven't been interviews.

There doesn't even need to be interviews. If the club knows who it wants and has already had discussions with him then no point wasting time talking to others.

Plus I very much doubt he knows whether talks have been taking place remotely.

• Like 4

The rumour and guesswork is all fine, its to be expected.

But it’s bad enough with the one prolific poster on here who always posts what he wants to happen as factual occurrences. Surely we don’t  need anyone else getting involved in that nonsense.

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That may be true but anybody really think that Sharpe knows what’s going on ? He’ll know when it’s all cut and dried and not before.

I don't think Sharpe has an insight like the lads on Liverpool Echo and Manchester Evening News have about their teams, moreover, I think Sharpe writes what he's allowed to!

I understand interviews/discussions have now taken place with at least two candidates.  I have little reason to doubt the credibility of the source.

• Like 5

• Moderation Lead
7 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

But it’s bad enough with the one prolific poster on here who always posts what he wants to happen as factual occurrences. Surely we don’t  need anyone else getting involved in that nonsense.

People can always put them on ignore, or just put their big boy pants on and actually ignore them by scrolling past.

I can’t be bothered with a summer of people reacting angrily to information that may or may not be true. Life’s too short to let strangers online trigger us!

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

I wonder who you mean C😂

Edited by funny-old-game

15 minutes ago, Mercer said:

I don't think Sharpe has an insight like the lads on Liverpool Echo and Manchester Evening News have about their teams, moreover, I think Sharpe writes what he's allowed to!

I understand interviews/discussions have now taken place with at least two candidates.  I have little reason to doubt the credibility of the source.

You must have a new source then?  I can think of at least 65 reasons to doubt ANY of your previous ones.  I do tend to remember the occasions when you're completely wrong.... I won't start reeling them off. But can you point to any occasion in the last 10 years where one of your ITK titbits has come to fruition?  

• Like 3

It’s funny how managers are…

Ted Williams was arguably the greatest hitter the game of baseball produced, in the modern era. But even with all his skills, in four years of managing the Washington Senators/Texas Rangers, he won only .429% of his games. 

Leading one manager to opine, “it’s not always about the X’s and O’s, but about the Jimmy’s and Joe’s.”

Our new manager can only do so much with his skills; here’s hoping he will be given a budget to buy a couple decent players! 🍻

25 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Obviously you can't divulge names, but in your opinion, good or bad candidates ?

We are also still searching for a sporting director. It’s like we are going to be back to square one again. 

Over 10 years since they came and lessons have not been learnt. They never will. Until we are rid of them this cycle will continue 

I hope we get a manager with some ambition but something tells me we are in for a dolloper. I think Mowbray made a comment about wanting to work for a club that has the ambition and board room motivation to make the step up to a Premier League club - I took that at the time like a veiled criticism of our owners’ true ambitions. I can find the interview now though. I really do get the impression there’s absolutely no ambition to become a PL club. And I really don’t get why 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I really do get the impression there’s absolutely no ambition to become a PL club. And I really don’t get why 

Probably some kind of massive gambling syndicate that can fly under the radar when we're not in the top flight.

Would explain some of these terrible runs we go on.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Probably some kind of massive gambling syndicate that can fly under the radar when we're not in the top flight.

Would explain some of these terrible runs we go on.

Do they need that? 

These are some seriously rich people. There’s no way they add more to their material wealth through the betting markets to make it worth the millions they put into the Club 

I am at a loss at the lack of ambition. Did they feel embarrassed when in the Prem? The spotlight is on them more for sure. Or is it just a case of club malaise, left to just function as a portfolio filler that every now and then they show a bit of interest to. They don’t even come to the ground. But they could do, if they only cared a little 

2 hours ago, Mercer said:

The fact that your source has never given you any credible information should probably be enough reason for you to doubt the credibility of your source.

• Like 8

Interesting quote from Nigel Adkins, made a couple of years ago.

“I’ve been at a few clubs now where I’ve experienced the hardship in terms of what I was told when I first joined quickly changed and promises became empty promises, when the goalposts get moved, but I can ask better questions now. Ultimately, I want to be back in the Premier League. How are you going to do that? You need to take a team up from the Championship, so you want to go to a club that is going to give you the opportunity to do that.”

The last line sounds eerily similar to what Mowbray said upon leaving. Adkins ended up leaving Hull because he and the owner couldn't agree on the future direction of the club. I believe he is genuine when he says he wants to be back in the Premier League as that has seemingly been his aim at every club he has managed.

I was previously of the view that Adkins would jump at the chance to manage Rovers. Now, I'm not so sure that would be the case. People within the game know what our owners are like. The above quote is very much what Lambert faced at Rovers.

Even though Mowbray had five years here, he left by telling us, indirectly, how the club is still being ran in a dysfunctional way. We believe that the Rovers job would be an attractive proposition to some, which it is, but many will also be put off by these owners, sadly.

Another quote below from Adkins on his time at Reading which I found interesting. Their owner at the time, Zigarevich, pulled the plug on funding and wanted to sell up. Adkins was told he'd have to make use of their academy and younger players as some of the experienced names were going to be sold. This was his response:

“Listen, not a problem,” I said. “We’ve got a good youth team. Eamonn Dolan has been brilliant developing the Academy. I’ll play the youngsters and guarantee we won’t get relegated. There’s no way we’ll get promoted, but in 12 months’ time those kids will have played plenty of football. They’ll be far better for the experience.”

The bit in bold is important for me, as old school managers like Adkins, McCarthy, Mowbray (He is, even though he tries to be an innovator), all follow the Alan Hansen school of thought. That is, "you can't win anything with kids". We saw that from Mowbray this season. Based on what I have read, I don't see Adkins coming here to work under these owners, with a small budget to work with, a young-ish side and having to try and win promotion that way.

The questions to ask are; Is he desperate to get back into management? Would he be happy to just "nurture" the younger players at Rovers, bring a few loanees in and see what happens? If the answer to both is yes, then it could still happen.

Putting him to one side for a moment, I don't think there's any chance of us making a top appointment (Farke level) with the way things currently are. It would only be possible, in my opinion, if the owners promise to back the new man with funds and keep to that promise. I'm not optimistic about that happening, therefore the worry is a Grayson or somebody in that bracket is more than likely to turn up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hasta said:

I hope you are so right Chaddy because trying something different and bringing two well-respected people in could be the shake up that takes us on to sustaining a promotion challenge over the next few seasons.

But call me scarred but I honestly don't believe we are going to go away from the usual incompetence. There has been no communication with Mowbray from the powers that be for months, so they knew this situation was coming all year. Yet part of me expects the players to be returning from their holidays at the end of June to start pre-season with nobody yet in place.

So did I, but time will tell. 

I think Mowbray lost the owners faith 12 months or so ago and never regain it. We had a great chance of promotion this season and Mowbray blown it. Now we need to appoint a competent Sporting Director and Head Coach. I have said earlier this week I would be looking for a foreign head coach as they are used to this sort of set up. Farke, Carvalhal, Xisco Munoz and Maybe Diego Martinez would be the right appointment. If we go for a cheap appointment then the chance to build on last season and push on to promotion push/top 6 will be gone

• Like 1

Initial talks for a manager or interviews don't usually take place at a training center or even the ground.

So anyone who has eyes down there passing on 'nothing happening today' isn't exactly in the loop so to speak.

• Like 1