BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Which utterly brilliant manager will we be delighted to welcome next?

44 minutes ago, Gav said:

The next manager to walk through that revolving door at Ewood needs to be a significant improvement on the man that just left.

Gareth Ainsworth doesn't tick that box, what would he bring to Ewood that would get this side into the Premiership? They don't care if he comes from Blackburn and supports the club, they want a manager with new ideas, modern training methods, tactical awareness and eye for the player. Sadly in my opinion Ainsworth ticks none of those boxes and wouldn't even be mentioned if it wasn't for his links to the town.

I'd support the lad if he did land the job, he'd be cheap, win a few fans over for Waggott, but would fail and fail badly in the current setup, like most prospective managers would in my opinion.

These links to Carlos Carvalhal are strange to me, here we have a manager who has just been plying his trade in the Portuguese Premier League, quarter finals of Europa League, domestic cup winners lasts season, millions to spend on players and he's being linked with a mid table Championship club on its arse financially with its best days behind it? I would be astonished if he ends up here, why would he come here? 

We need a manager thats cheap, unemployed, willing to work with no board, absent meddling owners, no money to spend, no scouting network, poor playing surface, 4th division CEO.........Exciting eh.......

Firstly Gav, we want a head coach not a manager like previous appointment. Rovers are going for Sporting Director/head coach model and I think it will be the right way forward for our club and something that should have happen years ago imo. So Gav, we need a Sporting Director and Head Coach who can get us to the PL within 2 years. There is 2 outstanding candidates for the job which are Daniel Farke and Carlos Carvalhal IMO. Can't think of many other candidates who I think would improve us and make us promotion candidates for the next couple of the season. 

I agree that Ainsworth isn't the right fit for our head coach model and we need to look elsewhere. 

Carlos Carvalhal has said he wants to manage in England again and given that lack of PL jobs currently, his next move is a championship club with promotion ambition and aspirations which Blackburn Rovers should be and we need someone who can build on last season failed promotion chance that Mowbray couldn't maintained. He will want a budget where he can make signings that will improve our squad and take us to the next level which is promotion. We need around 6 to 8 signings plus play a playing style that suits our players. 

You mention the financial aspect of Rovers but given that we are likely to have a decent transfer budget but most championship clubs silly spending days are over. I ain't expecting tens on millions to spend but I think a budget of 6 to 10 million pounds mainly coming from The Brereton sale money is very realistic and should be offer to the new managerial setup to bring in those signings. 

Also Gav, we do have a Scouting network at the club so please correct this. 

2 hours ago, glen9mullan said:

This has gone on since the academy was built and has evolved with each manager, in particular when Sam Allardyce came in.

I've done a number of tour days at both the senior training ground and academy as a club and player sponsor over the last 25 years. They are superb and everyone from the scholar minders to paediatricians certainly open your eyes to the inner dynamics to what goes on behind the scenes at a professional football club from grassroots upwards.

I was lucky to play on the new state of the heart pitch at Brockhall the first week it was opened, it was fantastic.

This was put in place by jack walker, was maintained and supported by the walkers trust and continues to thrive under the Vs

However lets not kid ourselves, the staff levels in these areas has been massively reduced, and if this is what SW has used to convince you that they are doing all this fantastic work behind the scenes then it really is a shame.

Believe it or not we pay people to do jobs which includes the academy, I wouldnt expect tumble weeds to be running across brockholes.

You say you've seen really good improvement within the club, I beg to differ. 12 years ago this area of the club really was incredible, our network was global, our staff was second to none, our sports scientists where amongst the best in world football. I'd say there is at least a 30% reduction in staff alone within these operations.

I've sat with employees of over 20 years service at that facility who have broken down in tears, regarding the cut backs, the lack of direction or sense of job security since the V's took over. They have described how these young kids are like family, how they lived and trained together, how they continued with academical qualifications whilst being scholars, and young players at the club.

I have seen with my own eyes how it was then, to how it is now. If you are impressed with it now, you'd have been lost for words pre-venkys.

I bet they've pulled the model of the 4th stand out too? Told you they've had surveyors in, and how plans are in place to build that 4th stand as time progresses?

The very model which has been at ewood since the ground was built, the very model I've been told every year by someone different is currently in the realms of becoming reality?

Loyalty at Rovers has been rewarded with P45s, NDA's , thankfully that has not yet extended to the electricution of genitals, which is another method the V's have used to reward loyal staff as reported by the Indian times.

I've always said, it takes a special kind of personality to negotiate with those at Ewood. Far too many get lost in the headlights or are left pretty much in the woods, wondering where they can find some firewood. On tours, or during certain discussions you will always be shown/told the good. Sadly people who are far more shrewd will uncover the bad and ugly, and have the likes of Waggott taking that many lefts, he is begging for a right.

With responsibility comes accountability.

The facts remain, we've gone from a stable top 10 premiership club, with an administration and academy others both looked up to and aspired to be, to now having idiots running the asylum, a ground falling to bits, and other clubs that have not only caught upto us on the academy front, but are now actually surpassing us in their offering. It takes decades to get an academy blossoming. Players are coming into the system 12 to 14 years before they see under 23 football. In some cases at rovers its had a little fast track through players who have been deemed not good enough by the time they are 16,17,18 at other clubs, and have had a second opportunity by being picked up by us. Lewis Travis is a great example of that after his release from Liverpool and got his first pro contract at Rovers at 19 I think it was, so technically has not come through our system/ranks.

In the last 30 years, can you name 10 players who have come through the ranks age 10 upwards who have gone on to play for top clubs, win trophys, become regurlar internationals or be regurlar starters at prem clubs? How many of these pre-date venkys? How many since venkys? 

Of our current crop in our first team, which ones will be playing international football, european football and at a top club in the coming future?

Just looking at the championship  the likes of Derby, Forrest and Birmingham have players coming off the conveyor belt who really are exceptional. Birmingham in particular are really strong in this area, yet they continue to struggle on the pitch.

Its worth noting the players currently in our first team squad who have come through the ranks at Ewood where all at the club prior to Venkys takeover.

Its also worth noting that the transfer fee and add ons from the Phil Jones sale has more than covered the operational cost of the academy since the takeover.

Our youth teams and under 23s are doing very well, but we need to take into account many clubs have 50 to 100 players under the age of 20 out on loan across europe, whilst the national team is enjoying a golden age of young stars with first team experience who have already made the grade at their respective clubs.

It will be interesting to see over the next 10 years how many stars are unearthed at Rovers who are impacting our first team at 17 18 years old like at other clubs, or if we continue to loan in other teams young players due to ours not being good enough.

Its all smokescreens and mirrors imo 

Glen let me be clear no one has pulled the wool over my eyes about any aspect of what is happening at Ewood, that’s from before during and after 1973-2022. The sports science thing has evolved beyond anything that I understood and that’s just from 4 years ago it’s a remarkable area of football. It all costs money and it’s intriguing to note Rivers performers in this area have all gone to bigger clubs which shows the value the club hold in this arena.  You mention clubs catching us in the academy stakes? Burnley lose their cat 1 status whilst others are nowhere near us   We outperform many of the big clubs. We have to remember this is Rovers 2022 a town club with limited resources and due to the incompetence over the past 11 years it has had to be restructured and rebuilt. I believe it’s on the right track despite your alternative views and yes having had many conversations with you there is a lot I agree with. Cost cutting is a big thing especially after the covid years - thankfully we aren’t a derby or Bristol c we have survived and are slowly but surely progressing forwards. Mowbray really did fuck this season up for us it wasn’t venkys it wasn’t waggot it was simply down to the stubbornness of Mowbray who fell out with everyone and refused to spend funds that were made available. I have my views and I have my thoughts about what is going on and I hope they do come to fruition like many others 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

Firstly Gav, we want a head coach not a manager like previous appointment. Rovers are going for Sporting Director/head coach model and I think it will be the right way forward for our club and something that should have happen years ago imo. So Gav, we need a Sporting Director and Head Coach who can get us to the PL within 2 years. There is 2 outstanding candidates for the job which are Daniel Farke and Carlos Carvalhal IMO. Can't think of many other candidates who I think would improve us and make us promotion candidates for the next couple of the season. 

I agree that Ainsworth isn't the right fit for our head coach model and we need to look elsewhere. 

Carlos Carvalhal has said he wants to manage in England again and given that lack of PL jobs currently, his next move is a championship club with promotion ambition and aspirations which Blackburn Rovers should be and we need someone who can build on last season failed promotion chance that Mowbray couldn't maintained. He will want a budget where he can make signings that will improve our squad and take us to the next level which is promotion. We need around 6 to 8 signings plus play a playing style that suits our players. 

You mention the financial aspect of Rovers but given that we are likely to have a decent transfer budget but most championship clubs silly spending days are over. I ain't expecting tens on millions to spend but I think a budget of 6 to 10 million pounds mainly coming from The Brereton sale money is very realistic and should be offer to the new managerial setup to bring in those signings. 

Also Gav, we do have a Scouting network at the club so please correct this. 

Gavs comments are tongue in cheek,.

The supporters and footballing world can see one thing,

Sadly our owners are too often sold something else, which is usually a downgrade 

1 hour ago, Miller11 said:

If there are any proper long term plans, which is extremely unlikely, then you have to admit that Venky’s and their employees have failed spectacularly in delivering them?

Whenever you have been challenged to provide evidence that things are on the up in the past, you’ve told people to do their own research, like a flat earther or chemtrailer. Now you are offering up basic pitch maintenance and not shutting down the academy.

As Glen has comprehensively pointed out, the academy is currently reaping rewards because it’s a major part of Jacks legacy - and the one bit they haven’t got round to completely disgracing yet. I’m always baffled by the praise they seem to get for not pulling the plug on it. It’s not some act of altruism or a shrewd manoeuvre… it’s a complete no brainier. Besides, since they rocked up they have made more out of selling academy graduates than they have had to put in to keep it going.

Oh, and nobody is forgetting that we have limited TV income. We are all well aware of how perilous our financial situation is. How could we not be? What people do often forget is whose fault it is that we are in such a mess in the first place.

I don’t think I have ever defended their failures and with the history of abusive responses on this forum what I choose the share is my choice alone. 

12 hours ago, Butty said:

To be fair Chaddy I’m not sure he’s someone we will go for but in terms of him saying he wants to stay at Wycombe I wouldn’t read anything into that, if we did decide we wanted to appoint him then he’d jump at the chance. He’s happy at Wycombe but do you honestly think he’d turn down a move here if we wanted him? Of course he wouldn’t. There’s zero chance that we’ll get Farke in my opinion so I’m hoping we give Carvalhal the job. 

I don't think the head coach role is one that Ainsworth is suited to or his style is suited to our squad. 

I don't get the lack of belief or optimistic in not being able to attract Daniel Farke to the Rovers head coach job? 

4 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

Glen let me be clear no one has pulled the wool over my eyes about any aspect of what is happening at Ewood, that’s from before during and after 1973-2022. The sports science thing has evolved beyond anything that I understood and that’s just from 4 years ago it’s a remarkable area of football. It all costs money and it’s intriguing to note Rivers performers in this area have all gone to bigger clubs which shows the value the club hold in this arena.  You mention clubs catching us in the academy stakes? Burnley lose their cat 1 status whilst others are nowhere near us   We outperform many of the big clubs. We have to remember this is Rovers 2022 a town club with limited resources and due to the incompetence over the past 11 years it has had to be restructured and rebuilt. I believe it’s on the right track despite your alternative views and yes having had many conversations with you there is a lot I agree with. Cost cutting is a big thing especially after the covid years - thankfully we aren’t a derby or Bristol c we have survived and are slowly but surely progressing forwards. Mowbray really did fuck this season up for us it wasn’t venkys it wasn’t waggot it was simply down to the stubbornness of Mowbray who fell out with everyone and refused to spend funds that were made available. I have my views and I have my thoughts about what is going on and I hope they do come to fruition like many others 

Waggott and Chestons remit, which is a fact and not an opinion has been to cut costs. They will openly tell you that, and they are measured by showing India each season, they lost less this season than last.

I massively dispute the TM refusal to spend money, i know 100% he gave names to Messrs Waggott, Cheston and Suhail, whose job is to negotiate those deals. On all accounts it was we cant afford, we cant get it over the line, have you looked at list Z, we cant get an answer from India.

Its always easy to blame the departed.

I cannot dispute tactically TM blew promotion, but it was swaggott who totally foooked the transfer windows up, and had it not been for the loans TM got through his footballing relations, we'd been far worse off.

Waggott can roll into india and once again show less losses than last season, but to pin that on the manager who is paid to just manage the players and not negotiate deals is laughable

• Like 2

2 hours ago, glen9mullan said:

Just looking at the championship  the likes of Derby, Forrest and Birmingham have players coming off the conveyor belt who really are exceptional. Birmingham in particular are really strong in this area, yet they continue to struggle on the pitch.

Its worth noting the players currently in our first team squad who have come through the ranks at Ewood where all at the club prior to Venkys takeover.

Our youth teams and under 23s are doing very well, but we need to take into account many clubs have 50 to 100 players under the age of 20 out on loan across europe, whilst the national team is enjoying a golden age of young stars with first team experience who have already made the grade at their respective clubs.

Birmingham City have lost the Cat 1 academy status down to lack of investment. Burnley have lost their cat 1 status aswell. 

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

Birmingham City have lost the Cat 1 academy status down to lack of investment. Burnley have lost their cat 1 status aswell. 

I'd gladly lose my cat 1 statius too if I'm bringing players like Bellingham, Jordan James,

However they have not lost their cat 1 status, there is a rumour they may, of which I will add was the same rumour rovers had 4 years ago

All about reducing losses when literally three months from hitting the biggest jackpot possible to wipe out the lot, if ever there was a real life definition of ‘penny wise, pound foolish’, ‘false economy’ and any others you can think of…

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

I'd gladly lose my cat 1 statius too if I'm bringing players like Bellingham, Jordan James,

However they have not lost their cat 1 status, there is a rumour they may, of which I will add was the same rumour rovers had 4 years ago

I wouldn't want to lose our Cat 1 status. 

The Local Birmingham media, John Percy from the Telegraph and the athletic have reported they will lose their cat 1 status die to lack of investment in the club. 

Birmingham City set for significant off-field setback (msn.com)

15 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

All about reducing losses when literally three months from hitting the biggest jackpot possible to wipe out the lot, if ever there was a real life definition of ‘penny wise, pound foolish’, ‘false economy’ and any others you can think of…

Correct , I can see waggotts comments now.

'Madam we were 2nd, kept the squad together to give it a right good go, signed Hedges, Markanday, Zeefuik, and Giles and Tony blew it.

However on a positive we sold armstrong, have exercised the Brereton clause, will sell him and we have cut losses again. We have supplemented the squad with our thriving academy, dont have to pay Tony off, things are on the up. We've connected with the fans who are all on board and continue to engage with all communities. We are going to ensure we lead the way in bringing more ethnic minority players through the door, its an untapped market that can make us millions with an new audience"

Madam "do we still sign players based on ability, i thought football had no colour or religion?".

Waggott "Thats the old way, bums on seats needs a new marketing strategy, look at Spurs and Son, its opened up revenues from Korea etc"

Madam "have you reviewed the names we suggested as managers?"

Waggott "we've had 60 applicants and looking at them, they will not cost what you've proposed, we need to stay within FFP and avoid big payoffs. I hope i've shown in my time by the savings we've had and our great 8th place finish this season we are on the right track and i think if you put your list to one side and consider this guy, we can continue to evolve and keep the masses on side"

Edited by glen9mullan

5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I wouldn't want to lose our Cat 1 status. 

The Local Birmingham media, John Percy from the Telegraph and the athletic have reported they will lose their cat 1 status die to lack of investment in the club. 

Birmingham City set for significant off-field setback (msn.com)

Lets see what happens, but this time last year we was selling half our land off to developers.

My interest is in the club getting back to the premier league, thats above everything else 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, TimmyJimmy said:

The mere fact that we're sifting through these applications now is precisely the evidence that things are broken and chaotic.

Successful businesses follow a model of continuous improvement ie they are not reactive. Waiting for a problem to emerge and then brainstorming a response is not the way to go. We should be anticipating events and preparing responses then we're not caught on the hop.

TM leaving is not something that has caught us by surprise, the club have known for ages, in fact the opposite, the club was in the driving seat and making the decisions about him leaving and when. How then could they not have had the replacement project up and running months before?

Candidates should have been highlighted, approaches made, feedback considered, shortlist sorted and concrete offers ready for the day WE effectively terminated TM and started this process running.

IMO after many decades of advising the boards of some of the world's largest and most successful businesses this isn't even the way you'd run a corner shop.

You never know when you're going to have to replace someone, good businesses have continuously running processes to have names ready to approach should needs demand.

SW and the rest act like they're computers who've just been rebooted ... power on ... load operating system ... check I/O devices ... then ask "who am I?" and "what am I doing here?" then stating looking round for something to do.

It just not good enough and smacks of the disorganised and the incompetent.

I flatter myself I do have a clue about this stuff.

I'm sure Waggott would have been watching potential people he want to interview for the head coach and I'm sure they have been people who have put their CV's who Rovers have not thought would be interest in the job but are. 

I don't see the problem with interviewing few candidates and see which one fits your club model and the footballing strategy going forward. QPR are doing very similar I believe from reports

1 minute ago, Mattyblue said:

There is no particular problem in interviewing candidates, but you shouldn’t be sifting through CVs in the close season when you’ve known for months that the bloke in situ was to be out of contract and there was no indication from the owners that he was to be retained.

It’s called succession planning, alas standard business practices don’t exist at this club…

Cheap to keep the narrative of cost cutting in place and good enough to appease the fans, will take some serious sifting. 

10 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

Lets see what happens, but this time last year we was selling half our land off to developers.

My interest is in the club getting back to the premier league, thats above everything else 

I know and I was dead against the club selling the land off to developers. Its didn't happen. If Rovers wanted to build a brand new bigger training ground complex like the one Leicester City owner has built with massive investment whilst keeping our investment in our cat 1 academy I would be in favour of it as long as its done properly. 

I want to see Rovers back in the premier league and that's why I in favour of appointment of Farke or Carvalhal who can take us to the PL again cos Mowbray couldn't do it despite 4 years of trying. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

So this summer the pitch is being completely renovated? Drainage, the works?

If that’s the case why is it not being mentioned by the club? As Swag would surely be shouting it from the rooftops, like he was the other year before he got put back in its box and the full works was scrapped. Looks just like a standard re-seed to me?

Sharpe confirmed last week it was just the standard maintenance, starting earlier than originally planned due to the cancellation of summerfest.

Woooooo.

13 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I'm sure Waggott would have been watching potential people he want to interview for the head coach and I'm sure they have been people who have put their CV's who Rovers have not thought would be interest in the job but are. 

I don't see the problem with interviewing few candidates and see which one fits your club model and the footballing strategy going forward. QPR are doing very similar I believe from reports

If Sharpe is to be believed it seems Waggott has been that guy on a night out who won't chat a girl up, sits on a stool and hopes at 10 to 2 some girl will select him.

When have we become a club where we dont actively chase our own target?

If reports are to be believed, we will pick from applicants, no bloody wonder agents have had a party at Ewood.

Its laziness, and quite frankly embarrassing.

I just hope india choose to go with their own list and ignore the idiots at Ewood

• Like 6