BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Which utterly brilliant manager will we be delighted to welcome next?

23 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

are Burnley going to so organised given they just been relegated, new owners at the helm and players agent's on the phone already to want to move their client out? 

If Burnley organised themselves post Dyche, they'll have a Plan A and a Plan B.

We'll find out soon enough though Chaddy!

Rovers’ Championship rivals QPR are looking to hold talks with Wycombe Wanderers boss Gareth Ainsworth about their managerial vacancy – but he isn’t understood to be on the Ewood Park shortlist.

Ainsworth has been strongly linked with Rovers amid their search for a replacement for Tony Mowbray. Despite those links, the Wycombe boss isn’t thought to be in consideration for the Rovers job.

QPR are also in the midst of a managerial search as they look to replace Mark Waburton, who like Mowbray, left at the end of his contract. 

Both clubs are likely to be looking at similar candidates given the remit for the respective jobs and a focus on player development.

Rangers are looking to push forward with plans to speak with Ainsworth, a favourite with supporters after a long spell as a player at Loftus Road, after Wycombe’s defeat in the League One play-off final to Sunderland at the weekend.

Rovers however, aren’t said to be doing the same, as their search moves to the next stage, with face-to-face interviews being held after discussions with representatives of prospective managers.

Some of those discussions will happen remotely, which could lead to a second round of interviews, with a shortlist of at least five understood to have been drawn up, though Ainsworth isn’t understood to be someone the club are looking to speak to, as things stand.

The 49-year-old had previously said he was ‘flattered’ by links with former side QPR, and boyhood club Rovers, but was fully focussed on the job at hand with the Chairboys.

Rovers haven’t commented publicly on their managerial search since announcing it was under way following the departure of Tony Mowbray on May 11, even though applications had been received at that stage.

The names of those on the shortlist is being kept under wraps, with little movement in the bookmakers odds a reflection of that.

1 hour ago, Torgeir said:

Please do elaborate. 

"Reports in the national media have stated Daniel Farke will also be interviewed though Lancs Live has previously reported he is more focused on Premier League and Bundesliga opportunities, without ruling out Championship roles"

So according to Lancs Live, he might be interviewed, suggesting he is interested and on the list, that he isn't going to rule out Championship roles, but that he is 'more focused' on PL and Bundesliga opportunities.

Talk about covering all bases. He might be interested, he might not, he might get an interview, he might not, he would prefer a move to the PL or Bundesliga (both very unlikely with his recent record). Is there a manager in the world not 'more focused' on working in the top division instead of the second?

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 3

I've posted this before, so apologies for anyone that has seen it.

This was the betting a few days before Mowbray was appointed in 2017, as you'll see, he wasn't even in the running, was never even mentioned in the lead up to being given the job.

Has Hasselbaink been mentioned this time around? Someone had him on the list in 2017, why wouldn't he be on now?

Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink 7/2

Kenny Jackett 5/1

Steve Cotterill 5/1

Dougie Freedman 11/2

Nigel Adkins 6/1

Tim Sherwood 7/1

Billy Davies 10/1

Alex McLeish 10/1

Gary Rowett 10/1

Nigel Pearson 12/1

Mark Warburton 16/1

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Gav said:

This was the betting a few days before Mowbray was appointed in 2017, as you'll see, he wasn't even in the running, was never even mentioned in the lead up to being given the job.

Has Hasselbaink been mentioned this time around? Someone had him on the list in 2017, why wouldn't he be on now?

Gav, within all fairness Mowbray was appointed the day after we sacked Coyle. 

Also that's was 5 and half years ago

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

"Reports in the national media have stated Daniel Farke will also be interviewed though Lancs Live has previously reported he is more focused on Premier League and Bundesliga opportunities, without ruling out Championship roles"

So according to Lancs Live, he might be interviewed, suggesting he is interested and on the list, that he isn't going to rule out Championship roles, but that he is 'more focused' on PL and Bundesliga opportunities.

Talk about covering all bases. He might be interested, he might not, he might get an interview, he might not, he would prefer a move to the PL or Bundesliga (both very unlikely with his recent record). Is there a manager in the world not 'more focused' on working in the top division instead of the second?

Farke might just be playing hard to get. Or if Rovers have to convince him about our ambitions, then that’s a plus - but that would likely also rule him out of the running. 

34 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Gav, within all fairness Mowbray was appointed the day after we sacked Coyle. 

Also that's was 5 and half years ago

Why is that relevant? Bookies odds had fuck all to do with who we appointed manager then just as they do now. The Raos operate within their own sphere of influence, they have no idea who they will appoint manager so how would anyone else?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

Why is that relevant? Bookies odds had fuck all to do with who we appointed manager then just as they do now. The Raos operate within their own sphere of influence, they have no idea who they will appoint manager so how would anyone else?

To be fair, you could also ask why is posting the manager odds from 5 years ago relevant too…

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gav said:

Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink 7/2

Kenny Jackett 5/1

Steve Cotterill 5/1

Dougie Freedman 11/2

Nigel Adkins 6/1

Tim Sherwood 7/1

Billy Davies 10/1

Alex McLeish 10/1

Gary Rowett 10/1

Nigel Pearson 12/1

Mark Warburton 16/1

He's on my B list if that counts 🤷‍♂️

I say B list! Really my b list should be a C or D list. But there aren't any names that id consider B level really. There's basically a few "A" list candidates (none of which I think would choose to join us) and then a ton of C&D list names but nothing inbetween. 

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo

6 hours ago, Torgeir said:

Farke might just be playing hard to get. Or if Rovers have to convince him about our ambitions, then that’s a plus - but that would likely also rule him out of the running. 

out of work managers in farke and carvalhos league will be waiting to see how everything pans out in the leagues around europe and afar.... Before drawing up there own shortlists! 

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo
  • Like 1

The way I see it is that there are two frontrunners by a country mile - Farke and Carvalhal - for slightly different reasons although both boast impressive records at this level which would see them in the running for most decent jobs going.

I think Carvalhal would give us the best shot at things in the immediate future - next season or the one after. He's the sort of manager who will be able to come in and improve on what we've had immediately and give him some solid backing he'd have us in contention for the play-offs, I'd be pretty confident of that. Of course it might not last long - he's not the sort who will stick around for 3-5 years happy to be mid-table but I don't see anything wrong with that as long as you are aware of it and have a plan for what happens afterwards.

He's unlikely to be a long term manager but what is one of those? Another Mowbray or Bowyer where we bottle it every time the play-offs get within reach whilst losing millions every year?

Farke I think would edge it if we had the luxury of picking between them - because I think Farke would be more patient and has a proven record of developing a side over time at this level.

BUT I am conscious that Farke had a lot in his favour at Norwich - the right structure behind the scenes with good owners, good board, stable club and clued up sporting director - and he wouldn't get any of those things here. Whilst he didn't spend heavily at Norwich they weren't struggling financially by any stretch and were getting parachute income during his time there. So I would have concerns as to whether he could replicate his Norwich performance here, but hell, he'd be worth a try.

Moving down the list from those two and the picture looks quite bleak to me. Abysmal actually. Ranging from people I don't want but could understand / tolerate to names that are either laughable or completely unacceptable suggestions.

There's the usual ex-player from a big club wanting to make the grade as a manager - Ferguson, Carrick - sick and tired of this club being seen as a nursery for the 'big boys' to send people and see how it goes.

So based on those names it is feast or famine. Would be very pleased with either of Farke or Carvalhal but the rest of the names - no thanks.

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, Torgeir said:

I think Farke will come here if our plans are right, good budget and we have ambitions to get the PL. 

2 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Whilst he didn't spend heavily at Norwich they weren't struggling financially by any stretch 

Actually Norwich was financially close to going bust until Maddison was sold after Farke's first season. 

4 minutes ago, JHRover said:

There's the usual ex-player from a big club wanting to make the grade as a manager - Ferguson, Carrick - sick and tired of this club being seen as a nursery for the 'big boys' to send people and see how it goes.

I wouldn't be surprise if Villa first team coach Michael Beale had apply for the head coach job here. 

Everyone’s guessing when as already stated .... nobody has a bloody clue!
Even the jobsworth down at ewood haven’t a bloody clue and don’t know, and for sure our opinions has fans aren't worth tuppence
I can see people are going to start getting uptight and frustrated as more time goes ..... Only at Rovers is this possible!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JHRover said:

The way I see it is that there are two frontrunners by a country mile - Farke and Carvalhal - for slightly different reasons although both boast impressive records at this level which would see them in the running for most decent jobs going.

I think Carvalhal would give us the best shot at things in the immediate future - next season or the one after. He's the sort of manager who will be able to come in and improve on what we've had immediately and give him some solid backing he'd have us in contention for the play-offs, I'd be pretty confident of that. Of course it might not last long - he's not the sort who will stick around for 3-5 years happy to be mid-table but I don't see anything wrong with that as long as you are aware of it and have a plan for what happens afterwards.

He's unlikely to be a long term manager but what is one of those? Another Mowbray or Bowyer where we bottle it every time the play-offs get within reach whilst losing millions every year?

Farke I think would edge it if we had the luxury of picking between them - because I think Farke would be more patient and has a proven record of developing a side over time at this level.

BUT I am conscious that Farke had a lot in his favour at Norwich - the right structure behind the scenes with good owners, good board, stable club and clued up sporting director - and he wouldn't get any of those things here. Whilst he didn't spend heavily at Norwich they weren't struggling financially by any stretch and were getting parachute income during his time there. So I would have concerns as to whether he could replicate his Norwich performance here, but hell, he'd be worth a try.

Moving down the list from those two and the picture looks quite bleak to me. Abysmal actually. Ranging from people I don't want but could understand / tolerate to names that are either laughable or completely unacceptable suggestions.

So based on those names it is feast or famine. Would be very pleased with either of Farke or Carvalhal but the rest of the names - no thanks.

Agree with almost all of this - I do think you're being a little harsh on some of the other contenders though. Chris Hughton's record is very very good at this level with the exception of the last months at Forest. It lowers his stock, but still an intriguing prospect for me. Ainsworth too would be a very big risk, but has done a stunning job at a club like Wycombe. I really think a lot of fans (generally, not just Rovers) don't properly appreciate how small they are, so what he's done there is beyond impressive.

Some of the other names though are really not good, so I accept the broader point.

Edited by Admiral Nelsen
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Right, so who else is on the list?

Think you can forget Farke and Cavahal and all the other names mentioned.

Sadly it’s more likely going to be some washed up has been from a certain agency

• Like 2