BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Peterborough Utd (a) - 15/4/22

1 hour ago, Geoff66 said:

I have been to all but 2 of the home games, and can't remember us scoring off a corner.

Wharton scored one just two home games ago against Derby. He also did it against Coventry, though that one was away.

You very rarely see headed goals from corners these days. We used to have genuine goal threats in the past such as Hendry, Amoruso and Samba, but haven't had any for a while now.

It's not just Rovers though. It's a rare occurrence in the Premier League too nowadays. The likes of Terry, Vidic, Skrtel, Mellberg, Cahill etc would come steaming in onto corners and scored their fair share in years gone by.

The biggest threats from corners today are, IMO, Van Dijk, Maguire and maybe Laporte, but they don't score as many as they should. Maybe a lot of it is down to poor set piece delivery. That's definitely been an issue at Rovers, but even the corner taking from top drawer players often leaves a lot to be desired.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

Wharton scored one just two home games ago against Derby. He also did it against Coventry, though that one was away.

Ayala scored one at home against Hull early on in the season. And then there was Dolan against Derby, albeit from Dack's cross from a corner rather than straight from the corner kick.

Adding Wharton's at Coventry and Van Hecke's at Bournemouth and 5 doesn't seem too bad to me. And there have been some headed goals from free kicks as well.

• Like 1

Has it been confirmed that Scott Wharton is available for Friday as we used a concussion substitute on Saturday after his head injury. We had a similar situation at Huddersfield when Nyambe went off with concussion as I recall was mandated to miss the next match at Blackpool. I have checked the FA and EFL websites and there is nothing specific about missing games following being substituted for concussion.

1 minute ago, arbitro said:

Has it been confirmed that Scott Wharton is available for Friday as we used a concussion substitute on Saturday after his head injury. We had a similar situation at Huddersfield when Nyambe went off with concussion as I recall was mandated to miss the next match at Blackpool. I have checked the FA and EFL websites and there is nothing specific about missing games following being substituted for concussion.

Surely all the Rovers have to say, is that it was a tactical substitution.

1 hour ago, only2garners said:

Ayala scored one at home against Hull early on in the season. And then there was Dolan against Derby, albeit from Dack's cross from a corner rather than straight from the corner kick.

Adding Wharton's at Coventry and Van Hecke's at Bournemouth and 5 doesn't seem too bad to me. And there have been some headed goals from free kicks as well.

Didn't Ayala & Lenihan both score from headers from corners away at Forest? Could be wrong.

Edit: Yep, I am wrong.  Just watched the highlights again & they were both from free kicks. DL's was after a bit of pinball & the ball put back in from the byline.

Edited by windymiller7

13 minutes ago, rigger said:

That would mean we broke the rules as we made 4 subs in total. That's only permitted if one of them was a concussion substitution.

15 minutes ago, rigger said:

Bruce has answered for me.

My understanding was that to stop anything underhanded the player going off can't play in a game or for a period of time after. Also Blackpool could have legitimately made a fourth change themselves as a kind of levelling up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Generally speaking across football corners must be the most overrated thing in the game… yet fans go wild every time the ball goes out for one!

I seem to remember seeing a report somewhere that only one in 10 corners in the prem end with a player on the team who took it winning the header, and of them, a further 1 in 8 ended up with a shot actually on target. 

52 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I was wondering about this too. I tried to find out what the protocol was, best I found was this which applies in the Premier league. I’d guess the football league must have a similar process.

What happens to the replaced player after the match?
As well as any formal clinical assessment of the replaced player, his recovery will be audited by the relevant medical staff to ensure that The FA’s concussion guidelines for an advanced care setting are followed for his return to action.

If the formal post-match medical assessment reveals no concussive injury, then the player is cleared to return to training as directed by the club’s medical team.

Any club who have carried out an APCS must submit to the Premier League, medical information on the player as well as a report of the APCS procedures within seven days of that player returning to training or playing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mellor Rover said:

I seem to remember seeing a report somewhere that only one in 10 corners in the prem end with a player on the team who took it winning the header, and of them, a further 1 in 8 ended up with a shot actually on target. 

To me, the main reason, apart from the inability to beat the first defender, is all the shenanigans that go on in the box i.e. shirt pulling, man marking/blocking off etc. Clamping down on this non- football related nonsense is way overdue. My solution to this and other things like the “taking one for the team” cynical fouls would be to sin bin the offenders for 10 minutes like they do in rugby. Surely it’s worth a try. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Riversider28 said:

To me, the main reason, apart from the inability to beat the first defender, is all the shenanigans that go on in the box i.e. shirt pulling, man marking/blocking off etc. Clamping down on this non- football related nonsense is way overdue. My solution to this and other things like the “taking one for the team” cynical fouls would be to sin bin the offenders for 10 minutes like they do in rugby. Surely it’s worth a try. 

Totally agree and it appears that Rileys Robots are instructed to largely ignore what happens in the box at every free kick and corner.

In Ref defence as soon as they clamp down on something the players are coached in some other cheating technique, if it works it spreads and its rinse repeat.

On 11/04/2022 at 12:26, jim mk2 said:

Peterborough United away next and if it weren't for a long-standing commitment to attend this game, I have to say I wouldn't bother making the long trip down the A1.

On the plus side, in 2 previous visits to London Road I've seen Rovers win both times, the first including a Jordan Rhodes hat-trick and one of the most enjoyable days in years standing on an old-fashioned terrace behind the goal under a low roof just like the Darwen End in years gone by. The terrace has gone now but the atmosphere that day was brilliant. 

On the down side, I think the chances of us getting the play-off push back on track with a victory are unlikely after the abysmal showing against Blackpool following on from a series of poor performances.

Posh have had one of two decent results in recent weeks with draws against Luton and away to Bournemouth, and a surprising 3-1 victory at QPR. They may be bottom of the league but, in contrast to Tony Mowbray-inspired Rovers, they clearly haven't given up the fight.

1-1 draw at best. 

Tony Mowbray stated in the Lancs Telegraph it's the worst refereeing he's seen in 40 years. It's one thing he's got right, i agree with him 100%. He should be refereeing a game up Witton park on a sunday afternoon. The buffoon shoud have given himself a red card and took an early bath. Lets hope he's in charge of some of our rivals matches, we would be in with a chance.