BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Happy St George's day.

I was just thinking the other day, the radio stations on St. Patrick’s day were wetting themselves over the Paddy day yet I’ve  hesrd nowt today celebrating the fact that it’s St. George’s day. What is it with this country? 
Happy St. George’s day everyone. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Ianrally said:

I was just thinking the other day, the radio stations on St. Patrick’s day were wetting themselves over the Paddy day yet I’ve  hesrd nowt today celebrating the fact that it’s St. George’s day. What is it with this country? 
Happy St. George’s day everyone. 

There are too many people who think if you are proud to be English, that makes you a racist

• Like 3

• Backroom

I have a slightly different take:

Why is St. George's Day about English pride? Be proud of it EVERY day.

Same logic, I don't just love my wife on Valentine's Day, nor is my family only Christian at Christmas.

Equally: If it's a day to celebrate St. George, why not celebrate his other patronages?

Georgia, agricultural workers, farmers, field workers, soldiers, archers, armourers, equestrians, cavalry, saddle makers, chivalry, peacekeeping missions, skin diseases, lepers, leprosy, syphilis, sheep, shepherds, and scouting.

But returning to the main point... Celebrate it if you like 🤷

• Like 2

• Moderation Lead

Seen loads of flags in Clitheroe, one on the castle too no less!

A favoured meme that whoppers tend to share online is about not being able to fly flags as it’s ‘offensive to minorities’.

Another load of bollocks peddled by gullible folk. You can fly any flag you want at any time as long as it meets fire regulations. Quite why people believe the opposite is beyond me. But then, I think in this day and age, people are determined to be offended by things that definitely aren’t true. Ironically, these people are determined to call everyone ‘snowflakes’.  A strange world we live in!

• Like 4

Personally since the dawn of social media, I’d say St George’s Day now has a bigger profile than ever, it wasn’t a thing, at all, a few years ago, I’m not sure I even knew what date it fell on.

But until you make it a bank holiday (like St Andrew’s Day in Scotland) or get it co-opted by one of the world’s biggest drink brands, it will also be quite low key. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Mike E said:

Why is St. George's Day about English pride? Be proud of it EVERY day.

I am proud to be English and I am every single day. 

9 hours ago, K-Hod said:

Seen loads of flags in Clitheroe, one on the castle too no less!

I have English and British flag up in my house outside. My neighbour has English flag up every day. 

• Like 1

There’s a guy near me that flies a flag of some sort every day. He’s got all sorts of flags. Usually it’s the cross of St George but rececently he was flying the Union flag, unfortunately he was flying it upside down.

One place I worked at it was our job to fly the flags when we had visitors from abroad. We even had an Iranian flag in the collection.

We got our flags from a place called “ Middleton Flags “ in North Manchester. One day the welding shop foreman was chatting with me and my mate and he mentioned he was planning to flag his back yard, “ Did we know a good supplier of flag stones ? “ he asked.

Quick as a flash my mate, who was a real piss taker, said “ I do Tony, “ Middleton Flags “. I’ll get you their phone number. “

So Tony goes off with the phone number. About 10 minutes later he comes back looking red faced.

“ You bastards, that was embarrassing “. He wasn’t happy.

This was how the conversation went apparently.

M Flags ” Good morning sir, how can we help you ? “

Tony “ I like to buy some flags please. “

M Flags “ What size of flags do you require sir ? “

Tony, (slightly puzzled),   “ Err, the usual size “.

M Flags “ OK sir, standard size, what nationalities would you like ? “

Tony ( puzzled ) “ What nationalities have you got ? “

M Flags ( puzzled ) “ Well we have flags from all over the world sir “.

Tony ( still puzzled ) “ I suppose I’d like British flags “.

M Flags, “ Right oh sir, how many would you like ? “

Tony “ Well enough to do a backyard that’s roughly 20ft square “.

M Flags, laughing out loud,  “ I think we’re talking at cross purposes sir, we don’t supply that sort of flag, we don’t do flag stones.”

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 7

On 24/04/2022 at 09:55, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

There’s a guy near me that flies a flag of some sort every day. He’s got all sorts of flags. Usually it’s the cross of St George but rececently he was flying the Union flag, unfortunately he was flying it upside down.

One place I worked at it was our job to fly the flags when we had visitors from abroad. We even had an Iranian flag in the collection.

We got our flags from a place called “ Middleton Flags “ in North Manchester. One day the welding shop foreman was chatting with me and my mate and he mentioned he was planning to flag his back yard, “ Did we know a good supplier of flag stones ? “ he asked.

Quick as a flash my mate, who was a real piss taker, said “ I do Tony, “ Middleton Flags “. I’ll get you their phone number. “

So Tony goes off with the phone number. About 10 minutes later he comes back looking red faced.

“ You bastards, that was embarrassing “. He wasn’t happy.

This was how the conversation went apparently.

M Flags ” Good morning sir, how can we help you ? “

Tony “ I like to buy some flags please. “

M Flags “ What size of flags do you require sir ? “

Tony, (slightly puzzled),   “ Err, the usual size “.

M Flags “ OK sir, standard size, what nationalities would you like ? “

Tony ( puzzled ) “ What nationalities have you got ? “

M Flags ( puzzled ) “ Well we have flags from all over the world sir “.

Tony ( still puzzled ) “ I suppose I’d like British flags “.

M Flags, “ Right oh sir, how many would you like ? “

Tony “ Well enough to do a backyard that’s roughly 20ft square “.

M Flags, laughing out loud,  “ I think we’re talking at cross purposes sir, we don’t supply that sort of flag, we don’t do flag stones.”

Do you live in Warton, my next door neighbour flew a flag every day.

1 hour ago, rigger said:

Do you live in Warton, my next door neighbour flew a flag every day.

No Rochdale. This guy has quite a collection. On Saint David’s he’ll have the Welsh dragon, St Andrews day the Saltaire etc. You name a day , if there’s a flag for it, he’ll fly it. On ordinary days it’s the cross of St George. I was amazed the other day to see him flying the Union Flag up side down. I thought he was an expert.

17 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

No Rochdale. This guy has quite a collection. On Saint David’s he’ll have the Welsh dragon, St Andrews day the Saltaire etc. You name a day , if there’s a flag for it, he’ll fly it. On ordinary days it’s the cross of St George. I was amazed the other day to see him flying the Union Flag up side down. I thought he was an expert.

Tell him about the union flag being upside down, he may well be glad of the info.

1 hour ago, rigger said:

Tell him about the union flag being upside down, he may well be glad of the info.

I don’t actually know him, or her. I just come past his place and observe the flags. It’s a block of maisonettes with a backyard so I’m not sure who owns the flag pole. Flying the Union Flag upside down is a distress signal apparently.

6 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I don’t actually know him, or her. I just come past his place and observe the flags. It’s a block of maisonettes with a backyard so I’m not sure who owns the flag pole. Flying the Union Flag upside down is a distress signal apparently.

I think I first saw it in a Carry on film, maybe Carry on up the Khyber.