BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

2022/2023 Pre Season Thread

20 hours ago, nbdelboy said:

anyone have an idea when the celtic tickets'll be out? was hoping to book somewhere to stay early on while there's still places available, but i've been stung doing that before..

Hotels in Glasgow that week-end are over £200 a night. Probably because of the Scottish open golf being on. 

6 hours ago, rigger said:

Hotels in Glasgow that week-end are over £200 a night. Probably because of the Scottish open golf being on. 

There's plenty of hotels <£100 a short distance from the centre unless you're particularly picky

39 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

That's just a few, there'll be more

Screenshot_20220531-202905_Chrome.jpg

The second one is for a motorhome/tent pitch. I wouldn't call 5-10 miles a short distance from the city center.

Edited by rigger

1 minute ago, Ossydave said:

OK a 15 minute taxi ride is close enough for me but each to their own. There's loads more under 200 quid too but ill leave you to it

I was just warning another poster that hotels may be expensive that week-end. I don't know what standard of hotel that other poster was looking for. Personnally I am going to drive there and back on the day, and will stay over at the Hartlepool game.

On 30/05/2022 at 15:52, nbdelboy said:

anyone have an idea when the celtic tickets'll be out?

Nothing yet on the Celtic website.

For anyone driving up on the day, there should be ample free parking at the Forge Shopping Centre, which is just a quarter of a mile north of the stadium, off the Gallowgate. In April, I watched the Celtic v St Johnstone game and parked there. 

The Gallowgate is a long road, running east out of the city centre and finishes just beyond the Parkhead district, before becoming Tollcross Road. Plenty of decent pubs along its route. The stadium is roughly three miles east of the city centre, easily walkable from Glasgow Central, which is what our group did when we played Celtic in 2003.

• Like 3

Fond memories of the uefa cup tie (result aside). Very surreal weekend. 

On thing on the way to the ground we asked a Celtic fan if there was any pubs near the ground we’d be able to sup in. He said come with me we arrived at this pub which had steel shutters that were half way shut so had to duck under to get in. When we arrived it was like a scene out of a film the whole place went quiet, you could literally hear a pin drop, there were 4 of us and I pictured the shutters going down and us brawling for our lives. The guy we were with whispered something to this big bloke then the pub just carried on as normal. No idea what it was called one of the lads thinks it was called the Bonnie Prince Charlie (I disagree) but would say a lot. But they were great with us.

On the way out saw a pub with loads of Union flags seemed to be very close to Celtic park. 🤷‍♂️. So thought this’ll do. In this pub we literally never had to put our hands in our pockets. Unlucky lads. Even though we lost they seemed thrilled about the fact they’d never seen Celtic taught such a footballing lesson. Tidy Glaswegian birds coming over. Felt like a table of Brad Pitt’s for the evening.

Apparently both these pubs appeared in a programme about Britain’s roughest pubs. Never saw it but I wonder if anyone has done both in the same day on a match day. 

Edited by matt83
  • Like 1

I believe there is a Rangers pub, relatively close to Celtic Park, but I’ve never seen it. I used to go up to Celtic a fair bit in the 1980s with a lad from Chorley who was a keen Celtic supporter who had a soft spot for Rovers. I was the other way round. We always went in the Springfield Vaults, an absolute rough hole, on the corner of Springfield Road and London Road, two minutes from the ground. The regulars were spot on, though, and we never had or saw any bother. I was surprised to see that it was still there, when I went in April, but it looked in a sorry state.

Once went up to Hampden for an evening semi final and went in what was an obvious Rangers pub before the game. We were made to take off any Celtic colours and were given them back on the way out. There was a real tension in the place and I was glad to sup up and get out of there.

They’re a decent set of supporters these days and I don’t think that Rovers fans will have any problems, either inside or outside the ground. Wearing colours in the local pubs should be ok as well.

28 minutes ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

I believe there is a Rangers pub, relatively close to Celtic Park, but I’ve never seen it.

Bridgeton, which is a short walk from Celtic Park in a direct line to the city centre and just before you reach the Barras area, is a huge protestant area, which is why there have been a lot of assaults on and stabbings of Sellick fans on their way home from the game over the years. 

I won't be there myself - agonisingly I'm in Glasgow the weekend after (hotel for £40 when I booked 😉) and can't really justify it twice in a week - but I thoroughly recommend the Laurieston Bar if any of you are getting the train up to Glasgow Central. No idea what they are like with colours so perhaps cover up, but it is a proper, proper old school boozer if that's your thing. Excellent city in general and certainly good for the ale, have a great day / weekend whoever is going. 

Edited by GHR

45 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Bridgeton, which is a short walk from Celtic Park in a direct line to the city centre and just before you reach the Barras area, is a huge protestant area, which is why there have been a lot of assaults on and stabbings of Sellick fans on their way home from the game over the years. 

I know it, Andy. Drove right through it last month, the day after the game, but didn’t realise that it was a Protestant area.

On 01/06/2022 at 14:14, Claytons Left Boot said:

I believe there is a Rangers pub, relatively close to Celtic Park, but I’ve never seen it. I used to go up to Celtic a fair bit in the 1980s with a lad from Chorley who was a keen Celtic supporter who had a soft spot for Rovers. I was the other way round. We always went in the Springfield Vaults, an absolute rough hole, on the corner of Springfield Road and London Road, two minutes from the ground. The regulars were spot on, though, and we never had or saw any bother. I was surprised to see that it was still there, when I went in April, but it looked in a sorry state.

Once went up to Hampden for an evening semi final and went in what was an obvious Rangers pub before the game. We were made to take off any Celtic colours and were given them back on the way out. There was a real tension in the place and I was glad to sup up and get out of there.

They’re a decent set of supporters these days and I don’t think that Rovers fans will have any problems, either inside or outside the ground. Wearing colours in the local pubs should be ok as well.

I went in there before the UEFA cup game. One of the lads who came with us was a Rangers/Rovers fan and had The Sash as his ringtone. Got a little hairy when his wife rang him.

• Like 1

On 05/06/2022 at 22:05, LDRover said:

I went in there before the UEFA cup game. One of the lads who came with us was a Rangers/Rovers fan and had The Sash as his ringtone. Got a little hairy when his wife rang him.

Anyone who has The Sash as their ringtone is quite simply asking for trouble, particularly in Glasgow, but also in many of the towns across the central belt of Scotland. If it went off in a pub in Wishaw for example he would be in a spot of bother. I can never understand the mentality of risk-taking at that level of stupidity. People have quite literally been murdered for less.

If players are back on Monday for pre season then surely there will be a friendly or two before the Accrington game on the 9th? Seems a long time to wait to play a game.

Unless they are doing some behind closed doors maybe.

Edited by MarkBRFC

7 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

If players are back on Monday for pre season then surely there will be a friendly or two before the Accrington game on the 9th? Seems a long time to wait to play a game.

Unless they are doing some behind closed doors maybe.

They are in Scotland for the best part of a week and the likelihood is they will play a game in that time I have been told.

14 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

U18s pre season list out

does anyone know if these are free and if your allowed to attend etc

357B1EEF-1F3A-4C37-81BB-C9FA9FA79AF8.png

They will be free/able to attend. Just down at the JTC site usually at the bottom of Brockhall.

20 hours ago, Ossydave said:

They wouldn't even serve us in a few pubs on the UEFA trip.  None of us had colours on, simply an English accent.  I doubt it would be as bad for a friendly mind!

Should have come with us Ossy. We all said we’d just have a few before the game but that went out the window as soon as we got to our hotel. By the time we had been in a few pubs on the Gallowgate, I was pretty much bladdered and I’ve regretted it ever since. Can’t remember a thing about the game. At the time, after the match, there seemed to be a distinct lack of pubs or eateries in the city centre (or at least we couldn’t find any) and we ended up in a Chinese in the early hours, after being refused entry to a couple of clubs. A great couple of days in good company, despite the defeat.