BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Memorable Final Day Matches

Last match of season 1962-3, Spurs at home. As I was making my way home from school I passed the local coach companies office and  I saw a bill board advertising a coach trip to that nights game. Blackburn Rovers v Spurs. Such was the attraction of Spurs nationally they were running a coach from Rochdale to the match ! Spurs arrived having just won the European Cup Winners Cup the previous week. They really were the team of all the talents. Before the game the Spurs team paraded the cup around Ewood to polite applause. From memory it was a bloody huge trophy. Then the Rovers set about them like men possessed. Rovers won in a canter 3-0, Ferguson 2 and Harrison being the scorers. What was then the forward trio, 8,9,10 - Ferguson, Pickering, Byrom , all really young local players, played brilliantly. I remember thinking as I made my way back to the coach, “ the futures in good hands at Rovers “.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 6

12 minutes ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Christ almighty,what a great side that Pasted Spurs...lovely to see the old Bury game footage.

May 20th 1963. Att 22,867.

Rovers

Else

Bray, Newton

Clayton, Woods, England

Douglas, Ferguson, Pickering, Byrom, Harrison         scorers Ferguson 2, Harrison 1

I forgot to mention the other two young up and coming lads who were also brilliant that night. Keith Newton and Mike England.

The future was really bright. 

Today they’d all have been poached away for a pittance after a few games. Back then at least we hung on to them long enough to get some serious money for them.

Newton - British transfer record for a full back.

England - British transfer record for a defender.

Pickering - British transfer record between two British clubs. Only Dennis Law and Jimmy Greaves had been transferred for more when the both returned from Italian clubs.

I was at the Bury game. We played like we’d been celebrating all week. Maybe we had.

• Like 3

Spurs again.... away when we dicked them 4-0 and i think we got into Europe, 2003 ish ?

Packed away end upper and lower and we stayed in Selfridges hotel the night before with the away travel club.

Great performance and to see them whizzing their season ticket books from all corners onto the pitch at the end will live with me forever, priceless.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Wheelton Blue said:

The final day win at already promoted Millwall to make the play offs is my overriding last day memory.

I thought they were going to invade the away end at the final whistle. Scary.

A very nervy few minutes after the final whistle.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tomphil said:

Spurs again.... away when we dicked them 4-0 and i think we got into Europe, 2003 ish ?

Packed away end upper and lower and we stayed in Selfridges hotel the night before with the away travel club.

Great performance and to see them whizzing their season ticket books from all corners onto the pitch at the end will live with me forever, priceless.

I really hate that club. Arrogant wankers.

• Like 1

There are three that stand out for me.

1) The 0-4 at Spurs, May 2003. Spurs ripped to shreds. Duffer superb. What a way to seal a European place. Spurs fan fuming added to the happiness that afternoon.

2) 1-0 at home to Newcastle, May 1998. Sutton buries a late free kick at the Blackburn to grab us a European place. The scenes! I was sat right in line with the ball for that free kick in the JWL. I loved that season as a whole. It could have been so much more.

3) Rovers 3-0 Fulham, May 2002. I remember it being a belting sunny day, full house, relaxed atmosphere with us looking to finish 10th. I can still see Maik Taylor dithering on the ball on the edge of his six yard box and Cole sliding in on him to score the easiest goal he probably ever had. Duff and Cole were excellent that day.

Those were the days.

We were lucky, folks. Very lucky to see such quality.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, tomphil said:

When people throw out the entitlement jibe they've not had much experience of games v Spurs.

The way they behaved at the League Cup final and the way the media fawned over them was disgusting. 

What made no sense to me at all was that we'd already beaten them earlier in the season. 

• Like 2

They don't take defeat to the likes of Rovers well that's for sure.  I think near enough any fanbase you can name at least half would have stayed behind to see the cup presented and applaud the winners.

Not that lot.

• Like 1

• Backroom
1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

Great memories, yet can’t remember one this past decade (well apart from that time we got relegated to the third division).

Ah yes, when Jason Lowe had the ball passed to him, only to shield it out of play from the oncoming Nofuckerthere.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

We haven’t even mentioned the 7-2 banging we gave them.

No, I wish I had been born a few years earlier so I could have witnessed that. Got to be in the top five Rovers games since the war.

On the theme of Spurs, I’ve never been to their new stadium but will now be paying a visit for the Challenge Cup Final at the end of the month. As much as I dislike them, I’ve got to say it’s a mighty fine stadium.

26 minutes ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

No, I wish I had been born a few years earlier so I could have witnessed that. Got to be in the top five Rovers games since the war.

On the theme of Spurs, I’ve never been to their new stadium but will now be paying a visit for the Challenge Cup Final at the end of the month. As much as I dislike them, I’ve got to say it’s a mighty fine stadium.

I’d give a lot to watch that game again. It was like playing the current City or Liverpool team off the pitch. Spurs were that good. Words can’t really do it justice, you had to be there. It was one of those game were you could have given every player a 10. Almost a once in a life time display. I was at the Forest game were we put 7 past them, that game was similar,  only Forest weren’t in the same league as Spurs.

Congrats on the Wigan win today, sounds like it was close at the end.  I’ll be watching it later on catch up. I was watching my lot, they won 44-24.

On 07/05/2022 at 18:15, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Congrats on the Wigan win today, sounds like it was close at the end.  I’ll be watching it later on catch up. I was watching my lot, they won 44-24.

Thanks. Yes, it was close. Saints are the benchmark at the moment, so a win against them has to go down as a good win. Especially when it gets you to a cup final. 

On 06/05/2022 at 13:36, Wheelton Blue said:

The final day win at already promoted Millwall to make the play offs is my overriding last day memory.

I thought they were going to invade the away end at the final whistle. Scary.

It was even scarier for the players. Nicky Reid and Simon Garner were stripped down to their jock straps and boots by the invading cockneys. The bastards were throwing coins at us in the away end, you could hear them pinging against the floodlight pylon.

• Like 1