BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

New Sporting Director / DOF

• 2 weeks later...

So.. more changes in that Park (head of recruitment) will be replaced.. really interested to see who will come in and their subsequent pedigree.. I think GB is having a real impact on the setup and potential medium term future of our club.. proof always in the pudding, but so far I'm very intrigued 

On 10/06/2022 at 07:45, martonrover said:

How Blackburn Rovers' Gregg Broughton created a Leicester City-esque fairytale at Bodo/Glimt - LancsLive

A headline that is the definition of hyperbole when you read the article.

In what way? How much of a role he played in it is in question, due to the nature of a youth development, but what Glimt did was pretty Leicester-esque. If anything, better, as they sustained it. The only other real difference is they finished 2nd before they won it (then won it again). But they'd finished towards the bottom end of the table the year before that.

47 minutes ago, Darwen Rover 007 said:

So.. more changes in that Park (head of recruitment) will be replaced.. really interested to see who will come in and their subsequent pedigree.. I think GB is having a real impact on the setup and potential medium term future of our club.. proof always in the pudding, but so far I'm very intrigued 

Two new recruiment analysts have come in, which it sounds like Park was at least partly responsible for bringing in. Tom Sutton from Oxford United and Karl Newton from Stockport County. They don't have the best calibre in terms of their previous club, although the lower leagues is inevitably a market we have to look at.

16 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

In what way? How much of a role he played in it is in question, due to the nature of a youth development, but what Glimt did was pretty Leicester-esque. If anything, better, as they sustained it. The only other real difference is they finished 2nd before they won it (then won it again). But they'd finished towards the bottom end of the table the year before that.

AM: The championship-winning sides of 2020 and 2021 had several important players who came through their academy, but really they were already members of the first team when Broughton arrived at the club

⬆️ In that way. I’m not slagging Broughton off, but the headline for the article is click bait and a blatantly exaggerated claim.

1 hour ago, Darwen Rover 007 said:

Broughton has bought in 2 more scouts/recruitment people aswell in. Tom Sutton from Oxford and Karl Newton from Stockport. 

Staff departure confirmed at Ewood Park as Gregg Broughton confirms two additions - LancsLive

Tom Sutton | LinkedIn

Karl Newton | LinkedIn

• Like 1

2 hours ago, goozburger said:

Good spot! Although it sounds like Park was still at work and brought them in, even though he's leaving. Not that it matters, I suppose.

I'm not so sure on that. John Park has now left and so it will be Gregg Broughton will take over the recruitment team now until we appoint a new head of recruitment in my opinion 

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

I'm not so sure on that. John Park has now left and so it will be Gregg Broughton will take over the recruitment team now until we appoint a new head of recruitment in my opinion 

So Park has gone ? It was only a couple days ago GB was quoted as saying Park contracted until end of the month and was due to talk about situation. 

I guess then , now had conversation and he's gone 🤣. At least things seem to be happening quickly 

Edited by slowmo

1 hour ago, slowmo said:

So Park has gone ? It was only a couple days ago GB was quoted as saying Park contracted until end of the month and was due to talk about situation. 

I guess then , now had conversation and he's gone 🤣. At least things seem to be happening quickly 

Rovers announced on their website today. Think Park wants to leave. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Yes. An extra person, an extra level, an extra opinion. 

I am not saying it has or will happen here, just in general that it can cause issues.

Yep

That many issues that the following clubs have Directors of Football 

Man City, Liverpool, Bayern Munich, PSG, Chelsea, Barcelona, Dortmund….

do you need me to go on? 

Obviously though your finger is more on the pulse than them clubs, with their layers of complexity and conflicts 😃

2 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Yep

That many issues that the following clubs have Directors of Football 

Man City, Liverpool, Bayern Munich, PSG, Chelsea, Barcelona, Dortmund….

do you need me to go on? 

Obviously though your finger is more on the pulse than them clubs, with their layers of complexity and conflicts 😃

If I had said that having a director of football always causes further problems then you may have had a point.

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

If I had said that having a director of football always causes further problems then you may have had a point.

Oh of course. This hyper successful model of operating, that has now been adopted by almost every top level club in the world, has no real reason to be doubted 

And it goes to show that a Director of Football being added to the mix may, seemingly, could (or whatever) cause potential conflict and delays is a nonsense 

1 minute ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Oh of course. This hyper successful model of operating, that has now been adopted by almost every top level club in the world, has no real reason to be doubted 

And it goes to show that a Director of Football being added to the mix may, seemingly, could (or whatever) cause potential conflict and delays is a nonsense 

It is surely common sense. Another person in the process, another person who may disagree with players. Our club already takes ages to do everything anyway.

Obviously the model has plenty of positives too. I never said it shouldnt exist and I know better.

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

It is surely common sense. Another person in the process, another person who may disagree with players. Our club already takes ages to do everything anyway.

Obviously the model has plenty of positives too. I never said it shouldnt exist and I know better.

That’s not common sense, no 

In managerial terms it is a constant on the sporting side. Head coaches come and go, the sporting director tends to remain over large periods of time 

A constant in any senior management role is not a complexity or a potential conflict 

It is the job of the sporting director to implement the club vision and sign head coaches that are best suited for it. Otherwise you end up in a situation where the next gaffer decides he wants a total change and you are back at the beginning of a journey 

Our experience over the past 10 years operating without a constant sporting director shows you that. In comparison to clubs like Brentford, who have seen the rise of the club progress even as head coaches have changed 

If what you are saying was common sense then it would suggest that almost every elite club in the world is operating with ‘an added layer of complexity’, usually accompanied by a very high salary, for a nonsensical reason

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

That’s not common sense, no 

In managerial terms it is a constant on the sporting side. Head coaches come and go, the sporting director tends to remain over large periods of time 

A constant in any senior management role is not a complexity or a potential conflict 

It is the job of the sporting director to implement the club vision and sign head coaches that are best suited for it. Otherwise you end up in a situation where the next gaffer decides he wants a total change and you are back at the beginning of a journey 

Our experience over the past 10 years operating without a constant sporting director shows you that. In comparison to clubs like Brentford, who have seen the rise of the club progress even as head coaches have changed 

If what you are saying was common sense then it would suggest that almost every elite club in the world is operating with ‘an added layer of complexity’, usually accompanied by a very high salary, for a nonsensical reason

You seem to have read my concerns as if I am saying that this sort of structure should be avoided due to the risks that I raised. I can understand why many clubs have it, there are obvious advantages to it but equally it is not flawless.

One of my main concerns is that our club has constantly seen delays in decision making since these terrible owners joined. Another level in the hierarchy may potentially slightly extend that further.

There is also a risk that the director of football and head coach could disagree on a player, they are two different people with different opinions. I'm sure at times it happens at the big clubs even. I wonder for example if Solskjaer recommended that Ronaldo was to be bought.

4 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Yes. An extra person, an extra level, an extra opinion. 

I am not saying it has or will happen here, just in general that it can cause issues.

I think you are looking for problems in this model already for some unknown reasons. 

Currently Rovers model is working very well and no problems I see at all. 

When Mowbray was here we had 5 or 6 people involved in recruitment meeting. So no different to now. 

41 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I wonder for example if Solskjaer recommended that Ronaldo was to be bought.

No it wasn't his signing but a board decision to sign him and look how that turn out  

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

I think you are looking for problems in this model already for some unknown reasons. 

Currently Rovers model is working very well and no problems I see at all. 

When Mowbray was here we had 5 or 6 people involved in recruitment meeting. So no different to now. 

No it wasn't his signing but a board decision to sign him and look how that turn out  

I never said that it is malfunctioning here nor are either of us in a position to say that it is working "very well" yet. I merely suggested that there are risks whilst saying that there are obvious advantages and that I understand why clubs use it.