BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

New Sporting Director / DOF

• 9 months later...

Greg Broughton. After January, you’ve proven to be another incompetent buffoon in the Venky’s saga.

None of your kind have ever walk, and are rarely pushed, so you’ve probably got a summer to prove m opinion if you wrong. Actions will speak louder than words.

• Like 3

I simply don't believe that Broughton is the cause of the problem. 

We've had similar issues in January transfer windows going back longer than I can remember. It happened every year under Mowbray too.

I don't know if he is competent or not, I don't know if he is up to the job or not, but I know a fall guy when I see one and believe he's been set up to take the grief on behalf of others. They tried conning us into believing Mowbray was sat on a pile of cash and inexplicably declined to spend it. Now they are trying to con us into believing Broughton is some sort of buffoon who derailed our season in January. 

I simply don't believe it. This comes back to the owners and their shadow man who get away with it every time. 

Broughton goes and it all starts again. Another name and face giving interviews, another 'process' starts and then another excuse dragged out when we fail to invest in January next time around, rather than just admitting that the money men won't authorise the necessary expenditure.

• Like 4

The main thing is are they going to try and build on this properly or just skirt round the edges again hiding behind 'project' talk ?

JDT has shown enough to deserve some proper backing so if Venkys, Broughton, Waggot and whoever don't push the boat as far as they can they all need to clear off imo.

Give this man the forwards he needs and a solid older Johnson type head to bring on to help see games out, then they've done their bit and it's all on him.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, tomphil said:

The main thing is are they going to try and build on this properly or just skirt round the edges again hiding behind 'project' talk ?

JDT has shown enough to deserve some proper backing so if Venkys, Broughton, Waggot and whoever don't push the boat as far as they can they all need to clear off imo.

Give this man the forwards he needs and a solid older Johnson type head to bring on to help see games out, then they've done their bit and it's all on him.

That quite literally is all we need to make the difference next season. I would also say a winger if I am being greedy, because we have too many of the same types with very, very little end product.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, JHRover said:

I simply don't believe that Broughton is the cause of the problem. 

We've had similar issues in January transfer windows going back longer than I can remember. It happened every year under Mowbray too.

I don't know if he is competent or not, I don't know if he is up to the job or not, but I know a fall guy when I see one and believe he's been set up to take the grief on behalf of others. They tried conning us into believing Mowbray was sat on a pile of cash and inexplicably declined to spend it. Now they are trying to con us into believing Broughton is some sort of buffoon who derailed our season in January. 

I simply don't believe it. This comes back to the owners and their shadow man who get away with it every time. 

Broughton goes and it all starts again. Another name and face giving interviews, another 'process' starts and then another excuse dragged out when we fail to invest in January next time around, rather than just admitting that the money men won't authorise the necessary expenditure.

He's responsible for transfers. His words. January brought shame on the club. It's on him and he should walk. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

He's responsible for transfers. His words. January brought shame on the club. It's on him and he should walk. 

He's responsible for identifying and pursuing players and the football operation. I'd be amazed if he was responsible for getting deals over the line including dealing with the paperwork which the appeal suggested was the reason it broke down.

He faced up to the media and took responsibility yes, but getting rid of him and keeping the same operation behind the scenes won't solve that, it will just mean that the same happens again under someone else.

I suspect if he had come out and told the absolute truth - about what a shambles this club is and how responsibility for it ultimately lies with the owners and CEO - that he would have been down the road in no time. I'd rather he tried to rectify it and stop it happening again although I'm not confident on that one when the priority in some circles (Waggott) is on avoiding spending and cutting costs. He's hardly going to worry about finding ways to spend more money on quality players.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Yep this.

JDT keeps telling us we shouldn't be near the top of the table, it's too early in the project, the team is still inexperienced, we are ahead of where we expect to be at this stage etc.

Which is all fine IF there is a solid plan in the summer to get what we need to continue to build.

Hiding behind projects and FFP by bringing freebies and loans isn't going to cut it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JHRover said:

He's responsible for identifying and pursuing players and the football operation. I'd be amazed if he was responsible for getting deals over the line including dealing with the paperwork which the appeal suggested was the reason it broke down.

He faced up to the media and took responsibility yes, but getting rid of him and keeping the same operation behind the scenes won't solve that, it will just mean that the same happens again under someone else.

I suspect if he had come out and told the absolute truth - about what a shambles this club is and how responsibility for it ultimately lies with the owners and CEO - that he would have been down the road in no time. I'd rather he tried to rectify it and stop it happening again although I'm not confident on that one when the priority in some circles (Waggott) is on avoiding spending and cutting costs. He's hardly going to worry about finding ways to spend more money on quality players.

It's the first time we've failed to send not one but two forms off in time. Blaming past regimes doesn't cut it. It's on his watch. 

1 minute ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

It's the first time we've failed to send not one but two forms off in time. Blaming past regimes doesn't cut it. It's on his watch. 

Next January it will be some other cock and bull nonsense. We've had players sat in Brockhall with their suitcases and greedy agents moving the goalposts, we've had nonsense about Mowbray not wanting to spend any money even when it was there, we've had claims that forms weren't filled in or boxes ticked properly.

What next? A dog ate the registration form?

They're playing us - simple as that - Broughton is another caught in the middle of the Venky nonsense IMO. He managed to get deals done in the summer without issue, so he suddenly becomes incompetent in January?

23 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

He wasn't responsible for paperwork problem as the is job of the CEO and club secretary team to sort out that. 

15 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Next January it will be some other cock and bull nonsense. We've had players sat in Brockhall with their suitcases and greedy agents moving the goalposts, we've had nonsense about Mowbray not wanting to spend any money even when it was there, we've had claims that forms weren't filled in or boxes ticked properly.

What next? A dog ate the registration form?

They're playing us - simple as that - Broughton is another caught in the middle of the Venky nonsense IMO. He managed to get deals done in the summer without issue, so he suddenly becomes incompetent in January?

Who is 'they'?? And how are 'they' playing us??

Again, it's the first time we've failed to send off not one, but two, registration forms. It's sheer incompetence, and GB is ultimately responsibe 

Edited by Sweaty Gussets

1 minute ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Who is 'they'?? And how are 'they' playing us??

Again, it's the first time we've failed to send off not one, but two, registration forms. It's sheer incompetence, and GB is ultimately his responsibility. 

Venkys. Pasha. Waggott. In that order.

They are playing us paying fans, the media and the manager/coaching staff/players by trying to convince us that they are doing all they can/their side of the bargain and that they are sincere in their desire to get quality in the door in January.

I don't think they have any serious intention, interest or desire to do such a thing.

Whether that is Britt Assombalonga, Lewis O'Brien or any of the other 'big name' players that we've supposedly been after but for a range of increasingly bizarre reasons failed to get done.

What are the consistent factors over 4-5 years of January failure? Venkys. Pasha. Waggott.

What has changed? Manager, players, D of F - yes the failure to recruit continues. Problem lies at the top.

1 minute ago, JHRover said:

They are playing us paying fans, the media and the manager/coaching staff/players by trying to convince us that they are doing all they can/their side of the bargain and that they are sincere in their desire to get quality in the door in January.

I don't think they have any serious intention, interest or desire to do such a thing.

Whether that is Britt Assombalonga, Lewis O'Brien or any of the other 'big name' players that we've supposedly been after but for a range of increasingly bizarre reasons failed to get done.

What are the consistent factors over 4-5 years of January failure? Venkys. Pasha. Waggott.

What has changed? Manager, players, D of F - yes the failure to recruit continues. Problem lies at the top.

There is no equivalence to what happened in January. Sheer incompetence, overseen by Broughton. 

Project talk at clubs without parachute payments is appropriate. However, it's also important to recognise the time to strike, otherwise your best players are poached and you end up constantly having to rebuild.

This summer is that time. No doubt. We have two good goalkeepers, quality centre backs, 2 good full backs in Pickering and Brittain, with an excellent one in JRC. 

Our centre midfield is strong but does need one quality addition and we have the jewel of not only our club, but the whole league in Adam Wharton. 

This summer we need new attackers. A quality forward to lead the line and new wingers. It's vital we get this right. GB talked of Tyler Morton as a stop gap, until certain players matured so as not to block their development long term. This summer our loans can't be stop gap players, we need a couple who will be some of the first names on the team sheet, to supplement a couple of quality permanent transfers. 

For me the January debacle surrounding O'brien doesn't sit at GB's door. But JDT said it perfectly when questioned about O'brien. He said "he's not a striker is he". Broughton did fail in supplying JDT what he clearly needed in that sense. Broughton absolutely has to deliver this summer. If he doesn't then I'm sure JDT will leave in the near future which would be very bad for the club. Looking at our performances this year and the lack of depth in the squad, I think he's shown himself to be an excellent manager. 

Come on GB. Time to show us your worth and strike whilst the irons hot.

• Like 8

37 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

He wasn't responsible for paperwork problem as the is job of the CEO and club secretary team to sort out that. 

But he IS responsible for us failing to sign a striker, Hirst was clearly not up to the job.

For that alone he should go.

Edited by JohnD
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, JohnD said:

But he IS responsible for us failing to sign a striker, Hurst was clearly not up to the job.

For that alone he should go.

Yes, number one target for both GB and JDT....How can they get it so wrong, and with JDT being a striker by trade...worrying times.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Absolute trash, he was a face who had the nerve to face the media when those responsible hid behind their desks

• Like 5

Just now, 1864roverite said:

Absolute trash, he was a face who had the nerve to face the media when those responsible hid behind their desks

'The nerve'. Good grief. Easy thing to do is taking responsibility when there are no repercussions. 

The recruitment is in disarray. It was better run under Venus. At least he could send forms off. 

Broughton out!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, JHRover said:

You cannot legislate a player going back in his word having agreed to a loan deal.

You cannot legislate when the EFL ask a question that in my view is irrelevant in the final hour of the transfer window and when the question is responded to, albeit 8-10 minutes after the deadline has passed and then fail to use common sense in allowing the transfer(s) to go ahead.

You cannot legislate for a young and inexperienced player failing to complete his own paperwork correctly and then sending it off unaware he has made a basic error.

Changes are required in ownership and I retain a view that Rovers need a NEW CEO, a dynamic think out of the box type CEO who can bring the club wholly together to work within the current set up and finally a new secretary with competence attached to his CV!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

You cannot legislate a player going back in his word having agreed to a loan deal.

You cannot legislate when the EFL ask a question that in my view is irrelevant in the final hour of the transfer window and when the question is responded to, albeit 8-10 minutes after the deadline has passed and then fail to use common sense in allowing the transfer(s) to go ahead.

You cannot legislate for a young and inexperienced player failing to complete his own paperwork correctly and then sending it off unaware he has made a basic error.

Changes are required in ownership and I retain a view that Rovers need a NEW CEO, a dynamic think out of the box type CEO who can bring the club wholly together to work within the current set up and finally a new secretary with competence attached to his CV!

Never our fault is it?

The excuses change, the years go by but the same critical failure to strengthen in January remains

And of course the fact remains that with the exception of Gus Williams leaving there have been no changes made at management level despite what happened in January. Would lead me to conclude they were happy enough with the outcome, which conveniently avoided the need for the owners to put their hands in their pockets whilst the blame gets apportioned elsewhere.

Remember Broughton's interview - the only thing he was clear about was to make sure nobody blamed the owners. That's what the name of the game is here. Make sure that whatever happens the fans don't blame the owners for what happens. Blame FFP, blame managers, players, the weather, or whatever it may be but the owners are untouchable. 

Ultimately however they are the only ones in control who can do anything about it, so responsibility does lie with them. 

• Like 4