BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

2022/23 Season predictions

22 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Let's see who we appoint firstly. But whoever is appoint the target should remain the same. 

Appointing Farke or Carvalhal would have great but we haven't. 

Let's see if Benson and Lowe stay on firstly. But given we Will need to appoint new staff to fitness, medical and physio departments plus appoint a new head of recruitment. 

Why fear the worst? 

Yes I can see them having an impact on our season if given a chance. Why not? 

Which departees? 

You keep mentioning targets. I agree that we should aim high but im not asking that. Its about what you think will happen that I am asking, not what you want or indeed what you think the aims should be.

I dont have any faith in a sensible appointment because mainly of the terrible track record over 12 years coupled with how slow the process is going and having seen good potential managers go elsewhere. Thats not unreasonable negativity. Of course I hope to be proven wrong.

"Why fear the worst?" Last summer, none of our big sale was reinvested. Im saying that if the same thing happens, which is not an unreasonable assumption, then we will be in a pickle.

I would not expect those kids to come through and play KEY roles in a promotion push, its a hell of a leap from kids football, they have 3 league cameos between them aside from an unsuccessful loan spell in League 1. If any do, bonus and great, and im not saying never give them a chance before its twisted to that.

The aforementioned deperatures. Rothwell, Van Hecke, Khadra, Lenihan, Brereton, Nyambe. 6 big (potential but range from likely to certain) holes.

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

You keep mentioning targets. I agree that we should aim high but im not asking that. Its about what you think will happen that I am asking, not what you want or indeed what you think the aims should be.

I told you what I think will happen. We will promotion/top 6 challenges

I dont have any faith in a sensible appointment because mainly of the terrible track record over 12 years coupled with how slow the process is going and having seen good potential managers go elsewhere. Thats not unreasonable negativity. Of course I hope to be proven wrong.

Fair enough but I do think we will make decent appointment this time. 

"Why fear the worst?" Last summer, none of our big sale was reinvested. Im saying that if the same thing happens, which is not an unreasonable assumption, then we will be in a pickle.

Why not just wait and see what happens financially?

I would not expect those kids to come through and play KEY roles in a promotion push, its a hell of a leap from kids football, they have 3 league cameos between them aside from an unsuccessful loan spell in League 1. If any do, bonus and great, and im not saying never give them a chance before its twisted to that.

I didn't say key roles but I said play a part in the season. 

The aforementioned deperatures. Rothwell, Van Hecke, Khadra, Lenihan, Brereton, Nyambe. 6 big (potential but range from likely to certain) holes.

We can replace them all. We don't know if Nyambe and Lenihan will stay or not. 

5 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I admire your positivity @chaddyrovers. Perhaps not so much your logical thought process!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Its not about glasses being half full or half empty and yet to see much to br hopeful about personally. The Lenihan news is a hammer blow and I would be amazed if we get a replacement of a similar quality. As touched on the transfer thread, its a blow for various reasons. Boro for one are massively strengthened and us weakened in one move that raises zero pounds for a budget.

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Always stay positive me. I left at situation as a glass half far not half empty. Those 2 things have served me very well if the last 20 years of my life

You know you can drown in a half full bath

Edited by Oldgregg86
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Its not about glasses being half full or half empty and yet to see much to br hopeful about personally. The Lenihan news is a hammer blow and I would be amazed if we get a replacement of a similar quality. As touched on the transfer thread, its a blow for various reasons. Boro for one are massively strengthened and us weakened in one move that raises zero pounds for a budget.

Losing Lenihan is a blow but we should be able to bring in a similar quality player and low cost. I named 2 who wouldn't cost much. 

Him going to Boro strengthen them but nothing like you are suggesting. 

If Nyambe we lose him aswell then the target remain the same. Promotion within 2 years as I said 

24 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Losing Lenihan is a blow but we should be able to bring in a similar quality player and low cost. I named 2 who wouldn't cost much. 

If Nyambe we lose him aswell then the target remain the same. Promotion within 2 years as I said 

I'm not sure that we'll get out of League 1 as quickly as we did last time.

15 minutes ago, Wheelton Blue said:

I'm not sure that we'll get out of League 1 as quickly as we did last time.

Very negative attitude and thoughts. 

I think we will challenging for promotion in the coming season to get the Premier League. If people disagree fine by me. 

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Again, I never mentioned targets, I am on about what I think will happen, not what we should strive for.

Those 2 players are not of the same standard as Lenihan, he was our captain and a leader in an inexperienced team, plus a key part of our defensive strength. He plays basically every week, we are much worse without him.

Goode has played 16 times in 3 seasons since playing well in League 2, an unremarkable career. Mawson has played 11 times in 3 seasons and is very injury prone.

Not saying they would or wouldn't be reasonable signings, I just think you are being quite flippant about the situation as if for example losing Lenihan isn't a big blow. We already are a lot weaker than last season as it stands and the variables ie manager choice, money, recruitment I suppose could go either way but I have little faith in going right.

Is it all negative? Of course not. Like I said, its a poor league so it would take a really bad summer (terrible manager, no money etc) for us to be right near the bottom. I think a lot rides on Dack and his return to fitness as the other attacking options we have either flatter to deceive often or are unproven. But I don't get why it has to become about positive v negative.

I think Boro with a full season under Wilder and especially with a shrewd free addition will be stronger. I think West Brom with a marmite manager but with one with success (not just experience) at this level, with Swift signed, Dike back fit and more to come will be up there, I would be surprised even without Gibbs-White if Sheff Utd aren't in and around the top 6 so with the relegated 3, I don't see us directly comparable to those at the momeny.

47 minutes ago, rigger said:

No we wouldn't.

Yes we would. We have 2 centre mids in the entire club, 2 CB’s with champ experience, one striker and no RB.

3 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

Yes we would. We have 2 centre mids in the entire club, 2 CB’s with champ experience, one striker and no RB.

4 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

The only part of your statement that is 100% true is the 2 CBs with champ experience.

26 minutes ago, rigger said:

The only part of your statement that is 100% true is the 2 CBs with champ experience.

Add no manager to the list if you’d like?

4 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Again, I never mentioned targets, I am on about what I think will happen, not what we should strive for.

I have said several times what I think will happen. 

4 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Those 2 players are not of the same standard as Lenihan, he was our captain and a leader in an inexperienced team, plus a key part of our defensive strength. He plays basically every week, we are much worse without him.

You can't say we are worse without Lenihan until we see who we sign and perform in the coming season. 

5 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I just think you are being quite flippant about the situation as if for example losing Lenihan isn't a big blow. We already are a lot weaker than last season as it stands and the variables ie manager choice, money, recruitment I suppose could go either way but I have little faith in going right.

I have said what I think on the Lenihan situation if you disagree fine but that's my opinion.  

2 hours ago, booth said:

If we don’t sign some quality players, relegation.

We are going to massively miss Van Hecke, Lenihan and Diaz. And to a lesser extent Khadra. To an even lesser extent Rothwell.

We finished eighth with the players you mentioned. I expect to finish higher without them.

1 hour ago, rigger said:

We finished eighth with the players you mentioned. I expect to finish higher without them.

You expect to finish higher without quality additions?

Van Hecke solid at the back - Diaz scored 22. Lenihan had his best season. We'll do better without them?

I think you're expecting a lot if they aren't replaced.

20 minutes ago, booth said:

Van Hecke solid at the back - Diaz scored 22. Lenihan had his best season. We'll do better without them?

Where in my post did I say that we would finish higher, without replacements for those you named. What I said, is that I expect us to finish higher this season, than we did with those players last season. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, booth said:

I do feel there has been a tendency on this board, for many years, towards statements like ‘we need half a team to be signed or we’re getting relegated’ or ‘seven new additions needed urgently or we’re doomed’. That kind of attitude (not necessarily from posters on here) holds back the development of youth players. I am glad that Broughton recognises that.

Many thought we we’re doomed last year at the start of the season, having to rely on kids like Wharton, Dolan, Buckley, Pickering and BBD. We touched second place with those guys, and if it wasn’t for Mr Gloom boring everyone to death from the dugout, we would have definitely made the playoffs with that team.

We need a centre back for sure, if Diaz goes we need a forward too. We don’t, however, need to start panicking. We do need to start believing in our academy products. It’s the only way forward.

We also need to cut back on the huge number of loans that persistently hold back our own kids. Yeh, Elliot was good, but now Dolan has essentially a season less experience because of him. JPVH was brilliant, but was pointless without promotion*. Tosin was class, but we could have been advancing Wharton’s progress and value instead. We don’t need a ton of signings - we need a few. What we need is a ton of is faith in our own academy. 

*That said JPVH would be the best loan signing of all time if Broughton and JDT could pull a rabbit out of a hat and sign him permanently. If you’re reading guys - that is the centre back we need. Whatever he costs he is guaranteed to turn in a profit for the club. Not cheap but a sure-fire safe and profitable investment. Please sign him, please.

Edited by RoverInverness
Missing words!
  • Like 1