BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

2022/23 Season predictions

4 minutes ago, rigger said:

Where in my post did I say that we would finish higher, without replacements for those you named. What I said, is that I expect us to finish higher this season, than we did with those players last season. 

Because your reply seemed to suggest even without quality replacements we'll finish higher without Van Hecke, Lenihan and co.

Even with decent recruitment I don't know if I'll expect a higher placed finish as it may take the whole thing to gel, but I won't expect a relegation fight. If we do a Venky special and bring in some journeymen and a couple of kids on loan, I fully expect a lower placed finish if not worse.

4 minutes ago, RoverInverness said:

*That said JPVH would be the best loan signing of all time if Broughton and JDT could pull a rabbit out of a hat and sign him permanently. If you’re reading guys - that is the centre back we need. Whatever he costs he is guaranteed to turn in a profit for the club. Not cheap but a sure-fire safe and profitable investment. Please sign him, please.

JPVH would be a dream come true but let's face it, he's going to be a future PL star that lad.

Him and Diaz's goals are the two things they must replace next season if we have any ambition.

2 minutes ago, booth said:

Because your reply seemed to suggest even without quality replacements we'll finish higher without Van Hecke, Lenihan and co.

Even with decent recruitment I don't know if I'll expect a higher placed finish as it may take the whole thing to gel, but I won't expect a relegation fight. If we do a Venky special and bring in some journeymen and a couple of kids on loan, I fully expect a lower placed finish if not worse.

Just read my views, if you don't agree with them, then fine. But don't add your thoughts and words to my posts.

7 minutes ago, booth said:

JPVH would be a dream come true but let's face it, he's going to be a future PL star that lad.

Him and Diaz's goals are the two things they must replace next season if we have any ambition.

Absolutely- I’d rather the entire budget was spent on two top quality, permanent, young additions in those two positions, as oppose to four cheap journeymen and five PL loans.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, rigger said:

Just read my views, if you don't agree with them, then fine. But don't add your thoughts and words to my posts.

Not sure where you got that from when all I had to go on was a vague reply, but fair enough I'll refrain from responding after this and I'd ask you to do the same.

4 hours ago, booth said:

If we don’t sign some quality players, relegation.

We are going to massively miss Van Hecke, Lenihan and Diaz. And to a lesser extent Khadra. To an even lesser extent Rothwell.

2 hours ago, rigger said:

We finished eighth with the players you mentioned. I expect to finish higher without them.

2 hours ago, RoverInverness said:

I do feel there has been a tendency on this board, for many years, towards statements like ‘we need half a team to be signed or we’re getting relegated’ or ‘seven new additions needed urgently or we’re doomed’. That kind of attitude (not necessarily from posters on here) holds back the development of youth players. I am glad that Broughton recognises that.

Many thought we we’re doomed last year at the start of the season, having to rely on kids like Wharton, Dolan, Buckley, Pickering and BBD. We touched second place with those guys, and if it wasn’t for Mr Gloom boring everyone to death from the dugout, we would have definitely made the playoffs with that team.

We need a centre back for sure, if Diaz goes we need a forward too. We don’t, however, need to start panicking. We do need to start believing in our academy products. It’s the only way forward.

We also need to cut back on the huge number of loans that persistently hold back our own kids. Yeh, Elliot was good, but now Dolan has essentially a season less experience because of him. JPVH was brilliant, but was pointless without promotion*. Tosin was class, but we could have been advancing Wharton’s progress and value instead. We don’t need a ton of signings - we need a few. What we need is a ton of is faith in our own academy. 

*That said JPVH would be the best loan signing of all time if Broughton and JDT could pull a rabbit out of a hat and sign him permanently. If you’re reading guys - that is the centre back we need. Whatever he costs he is guaranteed to turn in a profit for the club. Not cheap but a sure-fire safe and profitable investment. Please sign him, please.

I don't really understand this constant gripe that people have with using the loan market, factoring in the very limited resources that our managers operate under.

Don't get me wrong, it isn't ideal and I (and indeed any manager) would prefer permanent players if given the resources. But you give examples of successful loans here, criticising them after they made us a better team whilst they were here. If we had adopted the attitude that we didn't want Elliott, Adarabioyo, Van Hecke etc because we want to just play our own players based on this principle that we may aswell finish mid table with our own players, then we are essentially forgoing any ambition and intention to challenge before we kick a ball. 

We also do more than most blood so many youngsters on a regular basis, and they get game time if they are good enough, take Buckley, we loaned Clarkson but he couldn't get a kick, dampening the myth that loan players get preferential treatment. You mention our play off chances but if anything you could argue that the one thing we were missing was experience.

Wharton is the perfect example of a player who did progress being loaned out to a lower division whilst we had a considerable improvement for that season at the same time, his progression wasn't stunted, same with Carter and Van Hecke.

Many clubs have been quite reliant on loans that have had success at the top end of this league, getting players of a standard that they couldn't otherwise afford. Forest have just gone up with Spence, Lowe, Davis, Zinkernagel and Garner all on loan. Norwich got promoted the other year with Skipp playing a key part, Swansea made the play offs twice in two seasons with lots of loans, there are so mnay examples. It isn't ideal but this idea that we may aswell just use our own players goes hand in hand with not trying to challenge and improve the team.

We've got some promising young players that could flourish with a good coaching setup and some top quality guidance. We do however need one or two players who have some real quality to help push us forward. 

I'm hoping the new setup will provide a good foundation for the younger players to take off from.

1 hour ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

So what are we expecting formation wise from JDT?

I've read conflicting reports, some saying he strongly favours a more traditional 442/4411 with pressing forwards others saying he goes with 4231 with wide pressing forwards

I would expect 4-4-2. The simplest system, for our simple players to get to grips with. Once we have established a basic formation, then the manager, can refine the system how he wants it. 

Edited by rigger
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, rigger said:

I would expect 4-4-2. The simplest system, for our simple players to get to grips with. Once we have established a basic formation, then the manager, can refine the system how he wants it. 

Why is 4-4-2 more simple than any other? And why would it be the expected choice considering that our best player would not fit into it?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Why is 4-4-2 more simple than any other? And why would it be the expected choice considering that our best player would not fit into it?

4-4-2 is more simple, because it is less complicated. If by our best player you mean Dack, he may not be our best player at present. I would expect our best player to be able to adapt to the best system for the team. I think JDT's mantra seems to be, no player is greater than the team. 

1 minute ago, rigger said:

4-4-2 is more simple, because it is less complicated. If by our best player you mean Dack, he may not be our best player at present. I would expect our best player to be able to adapt to the best system for the team. I think JDT's mantra seems to be, no player is greater than the team. 

It is, but I am sure that he is also well aware that its best to build a team in a way that gets the best out of our best players.

He has a full season to work on the tactical approach so it seems to be to be totally illogical to choose now to start with a 4-4-2 because it is supposedly easier. You could equally say that it would make sense to continue with the 5 at the back that we played for most of last season, or the 4-2-3-1 that we finished the season with. Either way, none are simple in that all will require instructions on various things.

Formation wise I think he will try many things until he finds something that works. 

His philosophy seems to be more about making us hard to play against and causing problems to the opposition. Lots of intensity and attack. 

I really hope we can smash the Dingles and put them back in their place.

• Like 1