BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

New Head of Marketing

32 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Why, what comes between marketing manager and marketing executive in a marketing operation as small as ours must be?

Years of experience elsewhere

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

I meant what roles.

In Rovers current structure, there isn't any. But you (or I, in this case) would expect a head of marketing to have had experience elsewhere as senior marketing manager, brand manager, group marketing manager or similar at a company where those roles do exist before stepping up here.

36 minutes ago, J*B said:

In Rovers current structure, there isn't any. But you (or I, in this case) would expect a head of marketing to have had experience elsewhere as senior marketing manager, brand manager, group marketing manager or similar at a company where those roles do exist before stepping up here.

Hmm, I would think most marketing types that football clubs employ would gain that experience at football clubs? I think it's different from most product marketing in that a knowledge of football and football fans is an important prerequisite. And I'm not sure many clubs at our level have the types of inbetweeny roles do they? I wonder if any such roles existed at Bournemouth for example (which I think is where someone said he came from), or if it was just one or more Marketing Managers underneath the Head of Marketing. If no such other roles existed there, the Marketing Manager probably does work a role similar to those, as nobody else is there to fill it.

Tbh I'm not at all worried by the jump in this case, especially since our marketing was shite anyway. What concerns me a bit though is the current trend in the club to appoint people to roles they've never done before instead of hiring experience. A lot of this is internally (which stinks of jobs for the boys, as well as being cheap) but we just hired a Director of Football who has only been an Academy Director. Now that I think is a big step up and his role could have major implications for the club. People deserve chances in new roles, nobody would get to senior roles otherwise, but doing lots of it through the club risks an experience void.