BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Jon Dahl Tomasson - Officially No Longer Our Head Coach

Celebrations in order! A credible, exciting and positive appointment with a decent track record and the potential to take things forward. 

Welcome to the chicken run JDT! Best of luck and be assured we will give you our best shout!

I'm quite enthused about this appointment despite the convoluted process of getting him. I want to see players playing in their best positions, playing a solid shape which doesn't require a Rocket Science degree to understand but most of all I want winning football. He has to be allowed to manage and bring players in without interference from anybody outside of his team and Broughton.

So there it is, simple Mr Tomasson.

But the elephant will still be in the room.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, davulsukur said:

Welcome JDT. 

Don't forget, you've gotta do the double over The Dingles this season.

No pressure 🤗

My rugby league team got a new Aussie coach. At a meet the fans do one of the fans got up and told him ” There’s only two things you need to know - beat Oldham and beat Oldham.” There was a big roar from the fans at that point.

He obviously wasn’t listening because in the traditional pre-season charity “ Friendly “ with Oldham he treated it as a training game. Inspite of the advice he gave every player a run out and Oldham won easily. He never really recovered his credibility from losing that game and he was gone at the end of the season.

I hope JDT realises the importance of the derbies.

• Like 2

Joining in with the optimism - feels like a good appointment, along with his staff and the new DofF.

It might take a period of time for his methods to sink in - and the previous bad habits to disappear - but, from what I’ve read and seen, the signs are very positive.

12 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

So like I said, if he wants to be here three years, he will be. A contract is a contract with these owners as we can see with Lowe et al.

Got to hope there has been sensible provision made this time should the worst happen.  I suspect Mowbray had a pretty tight contract that would have cost big to remove him.  Given his stock was high and the owners thought he was the messiah when he signed his extension.

Besides JDT might have inserted a Lambert style clause....

JDT: “I'm really proud and excited to be taking over as Head Coach of Blackburn Rovers – a club with a lot of tradition and also great ambition.

“We have a young team here, and also a great Academy, and the Owners have a clear vision, which is to develop players and become a sustainable Premier League club over time, so I’m really happy to be involved in this exciting new chapter for the club.

“Since leaving Malmo, I have been looking for the right club and I had a lot of options, but after speaking to Steve (Waggott) and Gregg (Broughton) I got a really good feeling about the club and I knew that I had found my next opportunity.

“I grew up watching English football, so I know all about the passion for football here and how special football fans are in England, so it’s great to come to such a big club as Blackburn Rovers and to be involved with such passionate fans and in a really good league, which the Championship is. It will be a great challenge, but it’s something I’m really looking forward to being a part of.

“For a Head Coach, the best thing is to work with the players and the staff, to show a direction and to work together to create an environment for the staff and the players to be successful, because at the end of the day it’s about being successful, winning as many games as possible and also develop the players, the team and the club in a positive direction.”

---

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/20207588.live-updates-reaction-blackburn-rovers-appoint-jon-dahl-tomasson/

Edited by TheRevAshton
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

My rugby league team got a new Aussie coach. At a meet the fans do one of the fans got up and told him ” There’s only two things you need to know - beat Oldham and beat Oldham.” There was a big roar from the fans at that point.

He obviously wasn’t listening because in the traditional pre-season charity “ Friendly “ with Oldham he treated it as a training game. Inspite of the advice he gave every player a run out and Oldham won easily. He never really recovered his credibility from losing that game and he was gone at the end of the season.

Im sure he will have a good idea TS having  played for AC Milan and Feyenoord!

• Like 1

• Backroom

Seems a (nearly) universally well received appointment, we’ve shown a little bit of creativity at the very least and not appointed a stale journeyman or an agents pet project 

Really hope it works out for us all and you feel it has the potential to 

• Like 8

Welcome to the club JDT. As others have said its a risk having not managed in England before but also quite exiting to bring in someone younger and fresher than the outgoing miserable old dinosaur. His name will surely also have some attraction in world football which may help with recruitment. 

Has had some success in Sweeden, but wasnt that also the case with Henning Berg?

Pleased hes brought his own staff.

Need to sort out recruitment ASAP. Big transition period for the club!

Relieved that he's brought his people with him. Coming alone and working with the current bunch would of been an expected disaster. Fresh faces and ideas for the players are much needed. The people behind him could well be the main reason behind his success at Malmö so I don't think the importance of this can be understated. 

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, TheRevAshton said:

JDT: “I'm really proud and excited to be taking over as Head Coach of Blackburn Rovers – a club with a lot of tradition and also great ambition.

“We have a young team here, and also a great Academy, and the Owners have a clear vision, which is to develop players and become a sustainable Premier League club over time, so I’m really happy to be involved in this exciting new chapter for the club.

“Since leaving Malmo, I have been looking for the right club and I had a lot of options, but after speaking to Steve (Waggott) and Gregg (Broughton) I got a really good feeling about the club and I knew that I had found my next opportunity.

“I grew up watching English football, so I know all about the passion for football here and how special football fans are in England, so it’s great to come to such a big club as Blackburn Rovers and to be involved with such passionate fans and in a really good league, which the Championship is. It will be a great challenge, but it’s something I’m really looking forward to being a part of.

“For a Head Coach, the best thing is to work with the players and the staff, to show a direction and to work together to create an environment for the staff and the players to be successful, because at the end of the day it’s about being successful, winning as many games as possible and also develop the players, the team and the club in a positive direction.”

---

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/20207588.live-updates-reaction-blackburn-rovers-appoint-jon-dahl-tomasson/#event-1599876

The view from a Danish journalist: "In Denmark we see Blackburn Rovers as a club with great British traditions.

"We know it isn’t the biggest club in the UK right know but we think that JDT can create results and make a new exciting project – maybe like Thomas Frank at Brentford.

"He isn’t the biggest and most famous coach in Denmark but he can make great results which he has shown as an assistant coach with the Danish national team and in Malmö.

"He is up and coming."

Pinched from Sharpes live blog ..

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Didn’t Uncle Jack have a sign on the wall stating defeat against the Dingles is unacceptable? I wonder if it’s still there? Maybe Steve Kean took it down. 

A warm welcome to JDT. After the frustration of the Mowbray years it will be refreshing to have a new man and his team at the helm. It's not a clearout as some of the old regime such as Lowe are hanging on but maybe they can be sidelined to minor roles - making the tea for instance.

It's a shame Lenihan has gone and maybe one or two others will go but looking forward to some decent signings and a good pre-season. It's exciting

• Like 6

Welcome to Blackburn Rovers Jon Dahl Tomasson, Remy Reijnierse and Ben Rosen

I think its interesting choice and I looking forward to see to JDT's reign here. He seems to want to attacking football which I think we will look forward to. Reijnierse has 2 years of championship at Sheffield Wednesday plus loads of coaching experience behind him. Rosen is a fitness and conditioning coach who has worked at Southampton, Malmo, Denmark(where he worked with JDT) and Copenhagen. 

Training Ground Guru | Rosen named Blackburn Performance Director as Tomasson confirms staff

I'm pleased we have got this head coach appointment sorted finally and I hope JDT and Remy work permits are sorted by Monday. I would imagine Ben Rosen is starting today. 

Jon Dahl Tomasson's Blue and White Army 🔵

• Like 3

Have to say I am chuffed by this appointment. 
It could end up going horribly wrong, similar to any managerial appointment really (and that's even before you take the elephant sized variable of Venkys into account) but at the very least its something different.

It was getting to a stage that I just wanted them to get on with it and appoint some dolloper like Pulis, Grayson or AN Other because that's what I fully expected them to do anyway. At least then it would put us out of our misery, and we can at least start looking to build up a squad.

This whole notion of a DoF and a manager that has had experience and success on the continent is something straight out of left field considering what we have done previously.
You would assume that Jon and the team he has brought in, as well as Greg, should have massive knowledge of the Scandinavian leagues and you would fancy us to pick up a few gems from there. A teak tough Norwegian or Swedish defender would go a long way to replace Lenihan!

Cant wait to see how the next few weeks will develop as regards incomings. Also I wonder what impact this will have on Nyambe, will he be intrigued by this appointment and be willing to give it another shot here.

• Like 1

Glad to see the optimism on the board about this, feels a while since we’ve had that feeling!

Trying to take in the glut of info around it all, but it lead me to check out the progress of Malmö since he left. New guy has them in 5th, five points off top with 11 games gone. Not exactly definitive, but adds some credence to the idea that JDT was instrumental in their recent success.

I fully expect him to need time to get his ideas across to the squad. Timing of the World Cup break could be very useful for that, perhaps.

Hopefully he gets the backing needed from the owners and the FFP cycle allows the club to invest in the playing squad

Such a positive feeling about this. May be a disaster may not, but at least I don't have to listen to the mumbling dinosaur claim we've been unlucky not to score every week whilst he plays every single player out of position.

Club really missed a trick though. 250-300 quid season tickets before this and now with a new coaching team, we could've been touching 10k season tickets. Instead we look well below even 5k and now people have to pay £30 MORE if they want to renew/come back.

Either way, I've renewed and will be there with the other 34 people who have renewed around me 🤣