BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Hartlepool Utd (h) - Carabao Cup, 10/8/22

9 hours ago, JoeH said:

WARNING: You will get distracted from what you should be doing today and watch this about 10 times on repeat.

I have watched it a few times and i said last night why are players allowed to dive in front of players to stop them getting to the ball ,anywhere else on the pitch and its a free kick.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, had.e.nuff said:

I have watched it a few times and i said last night why are players allowed to dive in front of players to stop them getting to the ball ,anywhere else on the pitch and its a free kick.

I remember Wilcox giving away a penalty for similar, but far less blatant. Can't remember against who (was Darwen end - possibly Leeds) - I am sure someone can remind me.

8 hours ago, Displaced Rover said:

Utter nonsense.

With the passage of time we'll all continue to wonder why we spent the last 4 years back in the Championship treading water and seemingly making no effort to get promoted, while the manager spent every interview talking the club down. 

Mowbray was a frustrating manager who was in tenure for a couple of seasons too long at least but the antipathy towards him on here by some is weird and cult like.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Yeah, I’m trying to forget what ever it was.

There's a marked difference between the playing side of the club when Mowbray took over to when he left. As has been pointed out, it's doubtful that JDT would be here had that not been stabilised and Mowbray obviously played a key role in that. 

Add that to our immediate return from League 1 ( ask Sunderland and Ipswich how easy that is) and it makes a reasonable case for him being more favourably viewed down the track.

Of course, I'm pissing in the wind by daring to suggest such heresy on here 

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, Gordon Ottershaw said:

There's a marked difference between the playing side of the club when Mowbray took over to when he left. As has been pointed out, it's doubtful that JDT would be here had that not been stabilised and Mowbray obviously played a key role in that. 

Add that to our immediate return from League 1 ( ask Sunderland and Ipswich how easy that is) and it makes a reasonable case for him being more favourably viewed down the track.

Doesn't make it any less true, though.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, M_B said:

The facts are there, I know they're a pain. 

He took over a team of overaged, overpaid players in a relegation fight. 

He left the second youngest squad in the Championship, with the record number of academy players, assembled under a strict salary cap, in 8th place. If you want to call it a journey, it's up to you, it is what it is. 

His time was up, Tomasson looks like the perfect fit, everything is good, but let's not rewrite history. 

A famous historian (EH Carr) once said that "History is what historians write".

History consists less of "facts" than interpretation of facts.

I'm not rewriting history, I simply have a different opinion to you!

• Like 2

• J*B unpinned this topic
  • Moderation Lead
11 hours ago, Gordon Ottershaw said:

Whilst obviously any promotion is a great achievement, I loved that season and Mowbray certainly deserves a lot of credit for it….

It was a much weaker league one when we were promoted. There was only Wigan and Shrewsbury (who ultimately fell away of course) for competition. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Gordon Ottershaw said:

His football was boring, his teams underperformed, his tactics were baffling as were his substitutions and his player were nothing like as fit or motivated as they are now. In 5 years never remotely had a Cup run. That's not normal for us even in bad times.

We were just paddling along in the slow lane watching less talented squad overtake us.

A 5 year "journey" and we went nowhere.

"Of course, I'm pissing in the wind by daring to suggest such heresy on here "   

NO need to play the martyr either! You know that there are posters on here who totally agree with you. 4 have liked your post already! just have to accept that people think differently, instead of calling other posters "weird and cult-like."

Edited by 47er
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, 47er said:

His football was boring, his teams underperformed, his tactics were baffling as were his substitutions and his player were nothing like as for or motivated as they are now. In 5 years never remotely had a Cup run. That's not normal for us even in bad times.

We were just paddling along in the slow lane watching less talented squad overtake us.

NO need to play the martyr either! You know that there are posters on here who totally agree with you. 4 have liked your post already! just have to accept that people think differently, instead of calling other posters "weird and cult-like."

At least 4 wasted seasons.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Aqualung said:

Nice to see Scott and Adams mum and dad there. 

John Wharton was a good cricketer although I only played against him his latter years when he played for Salesbury in the Ribbisdale league. Nice fella too. 

Off at a tangent from the game..... played against their dad many a time as a youngster.  He was a county (maybe country too) level player as a teenager so a bit of a treasured scalp for us oiks, played around the leagues (Lancs, Ribb) for years after that.

7 hours ago, 47er said:

His football was boring, his teams underperformed, his tactics were baffling as were his substitutions and his player were nothing like as fit or motivated as they are now. In 5 years never remotely had a Cup run. That's not normal for us even in bad times.

The only 'Cult' was the Mowbray IS Blackburn Rovers cult we can't possibly sack him even in the face of record home defeat or 10 game winless runs.

Ridiculous notions for any football club to have.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, tomphil said:

The only 'Cult' was the Mowbray IS Blackburn Rovers cult we can't possibly sack him even in the face of record home defeat or 10 game winless runs.

Ridiculous notions for any football club to have.

That was fucking embarrassing. Absolutely clueless with no understanding of our history. 

• Like 1