BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v WBA (h) - 14/8/22

Although I'm a Rovers fan through and through I've always had a soft spot for West Bromwich Albion. My first ever football kit at age 4 was an Albion strip, bought by mum and dad in 1968.why?, I will never know coming from Rossendale. 

Thoughts on Sundays game and team selections chaps. 

COYB. 

I love the way the season has started. At the time, I believed QPR & Swans were good tests. However, WBA is sure to be a tougher challenge. 

Losing Lenihan & Nyambe, I was sure we would lose some early battles. It has not happened. Kudos to Tomasson & his staff, as well as the players, for getting off to a great start. 

I’m starting to believe Britain, Pickering, Wharton & Ayala are a better group than last years. I’ve enjoyed seeing their collective work thus far. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, nathan_rovers1 said:

What a start to the season, what a breath of fresh air with the new manager coming in! 

WBA are a very good side and I watched the game against Watford, I really can't see us winning this- I hope I am wrong! 

Just watched highlights and read comments...sounds like that's the best WBA have played in ages. Which either means they're finding themselves or it was a bit of an aberration.

• Like 3

As impressive as Dack and the young lads were yesterday, the XI shouldn't change from a 3-0 away win.

This will be a big test. WBA have recruited Swift and Jed Wallace in the summer, who are both incredibly productive players at this level. Having said that, they're missing their main striker, Daryl Dike, who hasn't been able to get going since his move. Any first teamer who plays in the cup tonight will have played twice since we played Swansea too, so there's a chance that one or two won't be at their sharpest. 

I think we'll get something from the game, but I've a feeling it'll be a score draw rather than a win. 

• Like 3

Same XI as we played against Swansea i'd say.

WBA are looking good, their attackers are going to be a handful without a doubt.

They have some quality players at this level, but I wouldn't write off JDT and Remy coming up with a masterplan for us to nab all 3 points here.

Would possibly take a goal-less draw if offered, another point and another clean sheet would be a good result...

But a win would be even better! I'll be optimistic and predict a tough 1-0 win. JDT's Rovers revolution!

• Like 1

Rovers’ good start will have been noted by the rest of the league. Bruce is a good manager and he will have looked at the way we play and adjust his team accordingly.

I’ve a feeling the mini bubble might burst and we’ll lose this one which might not be a bad thing in reducing inflated expectations of this Rovers team. Hope I’m wrong

• Like 1

Be a big crowd in for this one. Looking forward to making it down. Two Rovers games in a week is a bit of a luxury for me these days! Think Sunday game will have a positive effect on numbers, less competition.

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

Rovers’ good start will have been noted by the rest of the league. Bruce is a good manager and he will have looked at the way we play and adjust his team accordingly.

I’ve a feeling the mini bubble might burst and we’ll lose this one which might not be a bad thing in reducing inflated expectations of this Rovers team. Hope I’m wrong

Will Bruce be able to predict how we will play? The tactics for the last two games have been quite different. We’re also quite dynamic now, feels like we actually may have a plan B now, unlike previously. 

I’m feeling positive(I never learn!),but I just want us to play with the same intensity and passion we’ve shown so far, hope for a little bit of luck and get a result. We are at home, so I don’t think 3 points is expecting too much. A good performance and a draw wouldn’t be too disappointing, but it would be lovely to keep the 100% record going. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

Be a big crowd in for this one. Looking forward to making it down. Two Rovers games in a week is a bit of a luxury for me these days! Think Sunday game will have a positive effect on numbers, less competition.

Will it?

Planner looks the same as usual, a bigger away support might nudge it a bit higher but i can't see it being more than the opening day.

1 minute ago, MarkBRFC said:

Will it?

Planner looks the same as usual, a bigger away support might nudge it a bit higher but i can't see it being more than the opening day.

Feel good factor, okay prices, Sunday game with less competition, decent away following. I bet there's 15k on.

Home turnouts around what we had for QPR will do for me for now, as the opening game normally has bigger numbers of walk ons than the matches that follow.

So if we stay around that figure it certainly shows a spike in interest… but just imagine what kind of crowds we could be seeing if we’d not priced STs at £429-£529 for any potential new purchaser.

I don't think iv'e ever known Sunday games be a bigger draw than Saturday afternoon so that's just wishful thinking.

It is the holidays though so a day out might tempt a few more, plenty kids in the JW upper last night that you wouldn't normally see for a game like that is Sept.

Kaminski 

Brittain      Ayala          Wharton      Edun

Travis      Buckley 

Dolan                Szmodics           Brereton

Hedges

Pears, Pickering, Phillips, Morton, Dack, Gallagher, Markanday

Might jig the positions of the front 4 about a bit, but I’d go with that 11.

22 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Kaminski 

Brittain      Ayala          Wharton      Edun

Travis      Buckley 

Dolan                Szmodics           Brereton

Hedges

Pears, Pickering, Phillips, Morton, Dack, Gallagher, Markanday

Might jig the positions of the front 4 about a bit, but I’d go with that 11.

Edun caught the eye last night but it was purely attacking work with Hartlepool so poor and Pickering has been solid in the first 2 games.

16 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Edun caught the eye last night but it was purely attacking work with Hartlepool so poor and Pickering has been solid in the first 2 games.

I thought Pickering was poor against QPR, his strength is definitely going forward rather than defending and off the back of Edun’s performances both last night and in pre-season I like the look of him more.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Miller11 said:

I thought Pickering was poor against QPR, his strength is definitely going forward rather than defending and off the back of Edun’s performances both last night and in pre-season I like the look of him more.

Is Edun strong defensively? Every time he has played at left back in the Championship he has been all over the place.

I agree with much of what's already written on this thread, with the exception that I have friends of the Newcastle persuasion who'd disagree with jim mk 2!

Given that we can't expect this weather to last much beyond the weekend and, afaik, there are no rail strikes scheduled for Sunday, there could be a big - 15,000+ - crowd. But that the only thing that's predictable is that we won't know till an hour before kick-off exactly what JDT's selection will be. I'm guessing it will broadly on the lines of the eleven who beat Swansea City with, possibly, Dack for Gallagher.

Score on the door? I'm going for a shock, with us only getting a 1-1 draw.