BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Sheffield United (a) - 20/8/22

2 hours ago, nathan_rovers1 said:

Is anyone driving across from Manchester for this? Keen to go but no trains! 

I pay handsomely on petrol and beverages 

Hi, i have literally just got back from Reading (stopped overnight) and i may be going to Sheffield i also used to find alternative transport as i got my car damaged a few seasons ago ,my cars reg as OWL on it..However i don't have a ticket yet but may get the chance tomorrow to pick one up so i just thought i see where you are situated first as i live 6 mile from Rochdale and usually go M62 M1 ....

I'm still haunted by last season game at Bramall Lane, Khadra, who now plays for them, missing that penalty, Brereton injury, we should have stuffed them on the night

Got my tickets, I'd be happy with a draw - 1-1

Most posters thought like me that the game looked difficult last night as soon as JDTs selection was announced. Putting Dolan & Vale both in from the start (however well they play in training) to give Gally & Hedges a rest  quickly backfired. Our players look too delicate for me against a hard press.

Like Joeys idea of five across the middle.....Buckley struggling there last night(exhaustion?)......Sheffield is a game crying out for a fit Scott Wharton AND a fit Hayden Carter for both to start unfortunately......totally different formation really necessary from Reading.  

No Szmodics, Markanday, Dolan or Vale starting for me. Hard to do with a threadbare squad I know.    Tonys tombola anyone? Still top of the table yet mind..

After last night's debacle, hopefully this is the jolt the players (and me!) needed to bring us back down to earth.

The players need to react like Reading did to their heavy defeat, just like they did last season after the 7-0 v Fulham. Interestingly it's against the same opponents, so hopefully that's a good omen...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

One things for sure; their Bosnian centre half will put on an absolute masterclass.

Absolutely guaranteed.

Genuinely have no idea how this one will go. 

Biggest test for JDT was half time against Reading. He changed it up but it didn't have the desired effect. He knows it.

Biggest test now is how we respond in the next game, against a decent side as well.

Let's hope he's got a decent game plan up his sleeve.

14 minutes ago, booth said:

I'll be surprised if Vale starts again this season.

i would`nt start him in the blackburn combination,shocking attitude,can`t control a football and looks decidingly lacking in any motivation,him and butterworth make a fine duo,the do nothing brothers,when buckley broke through,you could see the desire in him,it took him a while to get used to mens football but now,apart from going missing in away games sometimes ,he`s a valuable part of the team

• Like 1

The lack of incoming defenders means that we likely will have to flog Phillips again which will have the Sheffield United forwards licking their lips.

I would probably go:

Kaminski

Brittain Phillips Ayala Pickering

Travis Morton

Hedges Dack Brereton

Gallagher

Subs: Pears, Markanday, Szmodics, Buckley, Dolan, Edun, A Wharton

• Like 1

Fulham and Bournemouth were stronger than anything in the Championship this season, it's a lot more even this time around with those two gone. 

We're definitely capable of getting a result on Saturday, Gallagher is vital at both ends of the pitch. 

• Like 2

Hopefully, our last outing spoke volumes to Tomasson in terms of who is reliable. I do not want to be dismissive of anybody, as it’s a long season, but the Vale experiment is hopefully at an end. But we have others up front, it’s our defending that really has me worried. 

I’m not expecting a win on Saturday, but I do expect a strong showing with lots of effort. That’s all I’m asking. 

• Like 2

Hopefully we step up and give a response on wednesdays dross. 

want to see us Line up like this: 

Kaminski, Brittain, Philips, Ayala, Pickering, Edun 
Buckley Travis Morton
Gallagher Diaz 

Sheff U have a very good midfield and we were overrun there against Reading. They also like to have Wingbacks high up the pitch and we need to address that. Buckley, Travis and Morton are more than capable of switching play and finding pockets in the channels for Diaz to run in. A bit concerning that Gally doesn't have much space. 

• Like 2

I thought this would be the tricky game to possibly bring our good start to an end, as I certainly wasn’t expecting what happened at Reading. Need a reaction here.

If we had more players available there’d be a few who should be worried for their shirt. I’d certainly be dropping Pickering for Edun. Dack should get a start too.

• Like 1

Will be delighted with a point here but can't see it.

This lot are a pain particularly at Bramall Lane where they have had a very good record over the last 12 months.

I'm still not over the defeat there last season or even the one before that when we had them on the rack before Smallwood got sent off and we collapsed.

I'm very unhappy at the failure to bring in reinforcements especially in defence following Wharton's injury last week.

It leads me to question how seriously the 'powers that be' are taking things when they seem content to risk derailing momentum and a good start through a failure to strengthen.

• Like 3

Positive. Given our weak squad and the August fixtures I'd have snapped your hand off for 9-12 PTS.

Negative:

However, still no  incomings to bolster a depleted Squad, a physical Sheff U team...and worrying tactics of possession based approach last game.  

I can only see a 2-3 goal defeat.

Hopefully we return to a more defensive approach.

If we come out of this window with some good first team additions - as promised-  then the next 3 games are free hits really.  Any more points would be a bonus.

if we don't, it will be a long and more than likely depressing season.