BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Forgotten Players

31 minutes ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

Heard from someone during the run in of the premiership winning season that Dalglish wanted out but at the time didn't believe it. He wanted to go back to Liverpool as he felt he had unfinished business there and once the premiership was won the mission at Rovers was accomplished.

Same person told me about Shearer wanting out during Euro 96 and we all know what happened after he returned from England duty.

I heard that aswell but still doesn't make sense.  Liverpool had only replaced Souness and had not come calling Kenny in early 1994.  Roy Evans was doing well by the end of 1994/95 and that position was not available nor likely to be for a couple of years at least. By June 1995 Liverpool was not an option so why go upstairs of all things to sit on his ass doing nothing?  He then goes and takes the Newcastle job in 1997!   So much for Liverpool.

Its just my hunch that Kenny didn't enjoy pressure and now there would be pressure of keeping BRFC at the top which he wasn't relishing.

The other rumour I heard was when Jack Walker vetoed the Geoff Thomas transfer in August 92 he got the hump and decided to see out his contract and leave then.

Shearer was always going to leave in 1996. Could see that coming a mile away.  Once Kenny left it was curtains for the club being a top team.  The only way top players come to a club like Blackburn is if you have a top and inspiring manager.  Ray Harford certainly wasn't that.  The only way Shearer would have stayed is if we had appointed a big name manager to replace Harford in the summer of 1996 and even then I'm not sure he would have stayed.